tdschwartz

Elk hunting rifle

I am looking into purchasing a used rifle, for all the big game species. I have been looking at three differnt rifles and cannot decide which is the best bang for the buck. Please help me decide...

The first riffle is a Tikka T3 Lite 7mm mag stainless steel barrel. It comes with a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 scope with lense covers. They are asking $575.00

The second rifle is a Win modle 70 300wsm, muzzle break with a Bushnell Pro Elite 4200 series 4-16x40 They are asking $700.00

The last rifle is a Rem modle 700 sps .308 with a leupold vx1 3-9x40 and they are asking $600.00

Any info on the gun manufactures, scopes, caliber would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

All three are capable elk rifles. I think it would really come down to what kind of shape they are in and what rifle fits you the best. The Tikka seems like a smoking deal, but again, it would come down to what condition it is in.

Personally--I am a 30 cal fan-but the 308 is not high on my list for some reason. Grew up with an '06--maybe that is why. I shoot a 30 cal magnum--I'd go with the 300 WSM myself--or find a 300 Win Mag.

If you reload at all--the 30 cal gives you quite of array of bullet types and wts.

BOB

Any of those would work for elk with the right bullet. Is the 7mm a 7x57, 7mm WSM or 7mm Rem Mag? Either of the last two would be preferable for game up to the size of elk. A 7x57 can certainly be handloaded to be a good elk cartridge, but if you don't handload, factory fodder is pretty anemic.

The .308 with Hornady's Light Magnum or Speers' High Intensity factory loads will equal the .30-06 factory loads, and even exceed them with a couple of bullets. By the same token, the Light Magnum or High Intensity loads for the '06 will push some of the .300 Mag factory loads. Except in the case of the 7x57, I would go with the one that feels the best in your hands, condition being fairly equal.

The best deal is on the Tikka with the Monarch. THe cost of the scope new alone is more than the asking price. The 7mag is fully capable of killing elk. The Tikkas have a great reputation for accuracy, if you can live with the plastic stock, magazine and trigger guard.

The worst value is the Rem SPS with the Leupold scope. The scope is only worth $200

The best deal is on the Tikka with the Monarch. THe cost of the scope new alone is more than the asking price. The 7mag is fully capable of killing elk. The Tikkas have a great reputation for accuracy, if you can live with the plastic stock, magazine and trigger guard.

The worst value is the Rem SPS with the Leupold scope. The scope is only worth $200

X 2 :)

Good deal! I would have definately bought the Tikka & Monarch combo

+1...

I bought a new T3 Lite SS a few months ago. The gun, at rock bottom price plus add the price of the scope, you are nearly getting stuff for cost. Depends on the condition but that would be my first choice.