bowhunter-tw

Wtb rcbs decapping rod and pin

Maybe tried to deprime a berdan primed case? I was loading some ammo for a bud and there was a berdan primed case in the bunch, same thing happened.

13 minutes ago, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

Call RCBS, they are really good about replacing parts like that - usually at no cost.

Just curious, were you trying to punch out crimped in primers from military cases?

I left a call back number, usually they are pretty good about getting back but havent gotten a call yet, that was about 3hrs ago. Their website shows out of stock on most that stuff so im assuming they dont have the parts, but we will see!

I didnt think it was, I had deprimed about 150 cases then this one bent and broke the pin. I thought hmm maybe I did something wrong... tried the only extra pin I had... bent it too, shoulda just thrown the case away. I didnt pay close enough attention to the primer pocket.

Midway USA - that's were I get my spares. Tried contacting RCBS during COVID - everyone is working from form and not responding.

5 minutes ago, PJM said:

Midway USA - that's were I get my spares. Tried contacting RCBS during COVID - everyone is working from form and not responding.

Lol they gave me a call back right before they closed... missed the call. Now theyre closed until monday 🤦🏼‍♂️

10 minutes ago, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

If you have other caliber RCBS dies and are in a hurry to load .223, you may be able to substitute the rod and pin from another die by changing the expander ball.

True, I guess im not in a huge rush to size anymore brass, I have quite a bit sized

Cabelas, Randals brunos, dillion generally any place that sell dies and reloading parts. might want to give them a shot.

theres a few reasons  the pins break.

you stuck in a  berdan primed case or small pebbles/sand in the case most common.

other reasons are:

you left the lock nut loose on the threaded rod that tightens the rod to the die. this causes the the rod to wobble sideways

you didnt have the knurled knob that holds the pin into the rod tight.

you have a bent threaded decapper rod.

your pin isnt located and seated all the way up in the threaded rod.

or you bent the pin and didnt notice it.

Im gonna go with it was one of those berdan cases and I didnt know. When I installed the extra I made sure everything was tight, took it a little slower and it still bent. Lesson learned... check my cases better before sizing. I did wet tumble all the cases before sizing as they were very dirty, and dried them at 180 in the oven before sizing

bowhunter-tw, are you the same guy I bumped into over at Bruno's last week?  If so, glad to put a face to your on-line name.  Like I mentioned, I have an RCBS 222 Rem die set that I don't use any more.  I would be willing to loan you the stem with expander ball/de-capping pin for you to use until you find a permanent replacement. Just a thought to help out in a pinch.  Just return it in the same shape.  Let me know.

7 minutes ago, azsugarbear said:

bowhunter-tw, are you the same guy I bumped into over at Bruno's last week?  If so, glad to put a face to your on-line name.  Like I mentioned, I have an RCBS 222 Rem die set that I don't use any more.  I would be willing to loan you the stem with expander ball/de-capping pin for you to use until you find a permanent replacement. Just a thought to help out in a pinch.  Just return it in the same shape.  Let me know.

Hey azsugarbear, I am not, I havent made it up to brunos yet. I appreciate the offer, I think I can get by without it. I am newer to reloading and dont want to risk breaking someone elses and putting them out their dies until I can find replacements. I am going to keep an eye out and buy a dozen or so extra headed decapping pins and one of each rod I need.