Sign in to follow this  
MT. CAT

Bears in the pears!

Any one out there been bear scouting lately, or plan a hunt this season? My hunting partner and I went out to our honey hole to set trails cams last weekend. The pear crop looks to be above average, and just a few were beginning to ripen but not many but any stretch. Were right at 4500ft and have a nice transition between 6500ft+ pine/junipers and mesquite prickly pear flats. I have 2 pics I'm gunna try and figure out how to get off my cell phone and post. Only 30 minutes after getting to our spot via quad we find tracks of a younger bear. We guesstimated 2-3 year old bear and he was there less than 12 hours prior since it rained the night before. I was very surprised to seem them down at 4500ft this early in July and not enough ripe fruit to be worth while. Any one else got any sightings this early?

Any one out there been bear scouting lately, or plan a hunt this season? My hunting partner and I went out to our honey hole to set trails cams last weekend. The pear crop looks to be above average, and just a few were beginning to ripen but not many but any stretch. Were right at 4500ft and have a nice transition between 6500ft+ pine/junipers and mesquite prickly pear flats. I have 2 pics I'm gunna try and figure out how to get off my cell phone and post. Only 30 minutes after getting to our spot via quad we find tracks of a younger bear. We guesstimated 2-3 year old bear and he was there less than 12 hours prior since it rained the night before. I was very surprised to seem them down at 4500ft this early in July and not enough ripe fruit to be worth while. Any one else got any sightings this early?

I was picked raspberries this week at 7400' and found some fresh scat in the brambles. I would expect to see more sign with the berry crop so good but didn't. Most of my bear spots have been removed from the prickly pear hunts! Grrrrr.

Saw two last week in the junipers just above a pear filled canyon and alot of sign in and out of the canyons. Most of the scat has bugs/beetles and hair in it where im at. Did find a smaller one down way low into the pears about a month and a half ago.

here's one of em in the junipers.

post-2043-1216979332.jpg

The accorn crop is really good... should be lots of bears up high this year.

I am going to miss opening weekend.... so all you trigger happy guys don't shoot little bears!!!! <_< They might be sows!!!! :angry: ;)

I sure hope I get a whack at the bear I found last week.... he would make a great bow-kill bear! Best of luck to you all!!

here is a pic i got in the acorns. his front foot is 6 3/4 inches wide! :o

post-2094-1216996771.jpg

post-2094-1216997181.jpg

This one has been coming around this tank a couple times a week but theres no water in it

Do you think most people would take this bear? He looks on the small size to me. That is a cool pic.

Of course someone would take that bear......that's why the units end up closing so fast, cause people shoot lil' bears. :angry:

wow i thought that was a black lab.... :P I got one on my cam this morning that'll beat it. its about the size of a chow but the pics a bit washed out ill try and get it up. got a big cinnamon-ish bear to, and what looks like one pawing my camera.

Wow clay that looks like a big bear you got there. Im not educated in bears very much, but how much do you think that bear would weigh?

Wow clay that looks like a big bear you got there. Im not educated in bears very much, but how much do you think that bear would weigh?

Probably around 350 to 400 depending on his diet. The biggest track I have ever saw was a 9 inch wide here in 24A but i have never seen him. People say he should way around 500 give or take a few. I have been tracking the 9 inch bear for 7 years now and can find were he sleeps, eat, and plays and yet I still can't even get a trail cam pic of him. But this year he is going to slip up he should be between 17 to 19 years old and when they get too old they slip up and BAM he is mine.

Good luck everyone.

Clay

Here is a web site that a guy killed bear and his paw was 9 inches wide. Again this is just a web site on the web where you could guesstimate a 9 inch track.

Josh (GRONG) should know this guy. He is in on of the pictures.

http://www.arizonahunting.net/black_bear2.htm

Clay

The accorn crop is really good... should be lots of bears up high this year.

I am going to miss opening weekend.... so all you trigger happy guys don't shoot little bears!!!! <_< They might be sows!!!! :angry: ;)

I sure hope I get a whack at the bear I found last week.... he would make a great bow-kill bear! Best of luck to you all!!

Yup should be a good un ;)