Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

SOLD -- Campfires and Game Trails: Hunting North American big game

This copy of the 295-pg. Campfires and Game Trails: Hunting North American big game by Craig Boddington is in like-new condition. 

SOLD

I will consider reasonable offers but no trades. Payment via PayPal (buyer doesn't need an acct; just a CC or checking acct.) or cash only. Can be picked up near 67th Ave. and Camelback in Glendale, AZ or shipped at buyer's expense ($3.50)

boddington.jpg.9b9970476c271c7c65f9eae6e33a8a25.jpg

26 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

I have this book, there is alittle bit about Coues if my memory is working right.

I wouldn't doubt it. He has hunted with Duwane a couple times, and I think I even included a photo in our book. I've known Craig since his days at Petersen's Hunting and have hunted with him -- once for antelope on the Hualapai Res. and a couple times at the Buckmaster's Classic in Alabama. He's a class act and one of the finer dudes around. 

Oh, and the book sold on another site a few minutes ago. 😉

Great book! It does have a nice section about our beloved Coues Deer. Pics below from my copy.

After hearing some of your stories and interesting outdoorsmen you have hunted with,

I feel the need to go back in time and tell my Highschool career counselor to pound sand cause I’m gonna be an Outdoor Writer!

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us.

3A91AB79-0B95-42DD-B266-388D0328CC8B.jpeg

50C66B8A-B3FA-4C29-82DA-9DE7D7829471.jpeg

Boddington has another book out with Bob Robb, Deer Hunting from Coast to Coast, that I thought was a good read.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

Great book! It does have a nice section about our beloved Coues Deer. Pics below from my copy.

After hearing some of your stories and interesting outdoorsmen you have hunted with,

I feel the need to go back in time and tell my Highschool career counselor to pound sand cause I’m gonna be an Outdoor Writer!

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us.

I figured Craig had likely highlighted his hunt(s) with Duwane, who has taken quite a few writers on their first Coues hunts. 

Probably one of the most interesting characters I've shared a "camp" with was the late Jim "you know what I mean, Vern'" Varney. The man was a literal hoot in person. At my first Buckmaster's, one morning Varney, Steve Bartkowski (ex. GreenBay Packer QB), our driver/guide and I were driving out to our stands. I didn't even have a clue who Varney was at that point., but we were in tears from laughing so hard.

Like an idiot, I said, "You're a funny guy. What do you do for a living?" He told me he made commercials and played in a few movies geared to younger folks.

So that night, I called home as is my routine when traveling, and my daughter answered. I asked her if she knew who Jim Varney was. Without a second of hesitation, she says, "Of course. He plays Earnest in the movies." Right then, I really felt embarassed.

Now here's the cool part. Varney hunted with a traditional straight wooden bow and cedar arrows., and he was an excellent shot with it, too. At every Buckmaster's, they had a skills contest with teams made up of four people. It was usually one of the local guides, two celebs & an outdoor writer. Then they would compete in all sorts of firearms & archery disciplines, ATV course, canoeing, axe/knife throwing and more. The archery was generally at pop-up deer targets at various distance. That's what Varney did and usually hung right in there with the compound guys.

I did the rifle portion twice, which involved shooting from a treestand at pop-up deer from 40 to 200 yards away. Sometimes a doe would come up in front of a buck. Thus a shot would become a deduction. I won it one year and came in 2nd behind Jody Davis, the Atlantic Braves' catcher, one year.

Another neat Buckmaster regular was NASCAR great, the late Davey Allison. One year, we bunked together and did a lot of talking. The late Dale Earnhardt and team owner Richard Childress also attended, but Dale was kind of cool with people. The biggest a$$ was, IMO of course, Wade Boggs. He was a heavy drinker and got pretty obnoxious at times. One night he was in a high stakes poker game with a couple other baseball guys and a pro golfer, and they nearly went to the mat with Boggs because of his attitude. I do still have an autographed baseball from him, however. 

Lastly, being an outdoor writer ceratinly had its perks, but even the best never got filty rich. Most of the magazines are paying the same rates now that they were when I first got into the business in the early 1970s. But some of the benefits were immeasurable. For several years, the Canadian consulate in LA comped all my airfare, licenses, etc. for hunting & fishing forays into Canada. I also had a good relationship with Alaska Airlines for comped flights, usually in first class. That was the first and only time I sampled goose liver pate.

YUCK!

barf.gif.2ea37ea9c04ddfea7ddb857c37794f04.gif

• Wow! 1

40 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Boddington has another book out with Bob Robb, Deer Hunting from Coast to Coast, that I thought was a good read.

Yeah, I know. Bob Robb lives in AZ now, somewhere in the Catalina's I think. Haven't talked to him in years, tho. He was also on the antelope hunt on the Hualapai Res. with Craig and me. I also hunted blacktail witrh Robb at a neat old lodge near Eureka, CA. It had been a hotel along the stage trail. 

2 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

Here's one of my covers with Jim "Earnest" Varney.

Varney.jpg.ac76069e2314841b21ff6b9c663f004c.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing!