NitroAZ

Rage Broadheads

hunter22,

The onlyproblems I have ever had with the t locks is they tend to fall off past 50 yards for me. Anythign past that and I have to drop down a pin. They are fine out to 50. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm shooting them out to 70 sometime this week I'll let you know.

Yes My dad is the inventor of the vortex line of heads!! But I will say there are a bunch of good mechanicals out there. As for the rage not passing thru the shoulder I will say I "think" they hit the shoulder blade but I cant be sure because we never recovered the animals. All I am stressing is if you are going to shoot mechanical heads please pick the ones that fit my discription I'm onlt saying this because there isn't a mechanical we haven't tested.

IMO, I dont think there are many broadheads period that will reliably go through the shoulder blade of anything much more than a javelina. I do not believe broadheads, or bow and arrows are designed to penetrate shoulder blade, or any tough bone.

If I think I am going to need to penetrate any bone, there is no way in my mind that I am shooting ANY mechanical broadhead. I was shooting today, and the Wac'ems were flying absolutely perfect. I shot out to 50 yards and they shot at the same POI, and the arrows flew the same. I am impressed with these broadheads.. They have always flown awesome, but I am yet to stick anything with them.. Hopefully I change that here in about 3 weeks!

Wards,

Of course I recovered the arrow, how in the HE!! do you think I know it did not open!! I know one thing at 10 yards I shot a spike bull with a 125 grain vortex and the O ring did not move, maybe that was my fault for not spraying it with wd 40?? Maybe the shot could have been better all I was saying is that the stupid thing did not open. Besides, the only way I would have missed hitting something vital if they had deployed right is if the blades would have opened exactly parallel to its back bone, bottom line is the broadhead failed to open properly and I lost my first big game animal. ag

Was the arrow berried in the ground when you retrieved it? I just cant believe it didn't open I have shot quail and the vortex heads still open. Well sorry to hear about the animal lost. But think about this the vortex line of heads still in the closed posisition have a 7/8" to 1" cutting dia which is bigger then most of the fixed bladed heads out there. Again we have to start blaming ourselves instead of our equipment.

as for shooting a spike bull and o-ring not moving I think thats a bunch of crap, you do realize that if you remove the vortex heads from what ever you shoot the O-ring slides back in place :unsure: You cant even keep the blades closed if you wrap metal bread ties around them. I know because this is how we used to practice with them and after the 2nd shot they still deployed. It's phyisically imposible for a sound vortex head not to open unless you weld the blades in place or bend the blades so bad you have to hammer them back into the head.I stand by that 100% and if you can prove me wrong then I give you 3 dozen of the heads of your choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wards,

think what you want, crap where you want, but that o ring did not move, I had 3 buddies with me when we found the arrow, it was just laying on the ground right past where I stuck him and it had not moved, I rolled the o ring back and the blades popped right out. I know, maybe the o ring rolled itself back up the broadhead! :blink: Anyway, enjoy your hunts this year with your vortex(which do fly really well), that is all I have to say about that. ag

Have you guys ever noticed that when Vortex is mentioned it turns into a big argument?? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

You could say that about any mechanical blade head.

Bob

Any broadhead will kill a deer or even elk if you shove it into the right spot. (shot placement speaks for itself)

Now if your shot is off or gets into some serious bone, then you need a very high quality head, that wont break or deform or come apart!

I have always used Mechs over fixed, (minus a few outings with the legendary thunderheads.) because of their ability to fly well through a fast bow. I have never had any tuning or flight problems shooting mechs.

I started out with noisy Vortex-3 blade and then switched to Rocket Steelheads 100 gr. 3 blade. I am convinced they penetrate through anything as good or better than ANY other heads. I killed my deer with a very poor shot placement he died within 50 yards. My elk walked 40 yards to his speedy death, the arrow went all the way through him, breaking ribs on the way in AND out. He never knew what hit him, and the results were devastating.

Rage makes a decent product from what I have read, as does NAP.

But Rocket Steelhead will be my head again this year

My 2 cents worth.

"Rocket Steelheads 100 gr. 3 blade. I am convinced they penetrate through anything as good or better than ANY other heads. I killed my deer with a very poor shot placement he died within 50 yards. My elk walked 40 yards to his speedy death, the arrow went all the way through him, breaking ribs on the way in AND out. He never knew what hit him, and the results were devastating.

My 2 cents worth.

I used Rocket Steel heads on my Cow Elk 2 years ago...complete pass through..was a little high and back but she went about 200 yds and dropped. Not the best blood trail I wished for but meat in the freezer. I have become a little concerned about their 7/8th diameter and short length of blade. I have another Cow tag and am going to use Trophy Ridge Hematic 3 blade. They also are 7/8th diameter for high speed accuracy, but are over twice as long as the Rocket Ultimate steel heads...they have been flying nicely out to 60yds...and I hope to get more cutting power with the longer blades.... also $15.99 for three @ walmart.

"Rocket Steelheads 100 gr. 3 blade. I am convinced they penetrate through anything as good or better than ANY other heads. I killed my deer with a very poor shot placement he died within 50 yards. My elk walked 40 yards to his speedy death, the arrow went all the way through him, breaking ribs on the way in AND out. He never knew what hit him, and the results were devastating.

My 2 cents worth.

I used Rocket Steel heads on my Cow Elk 2 years ago...complete pass through..was a little high and back but she went about 200 yds and dropped. Not the best blood trail I wished for but meat in the freezer. I have become a little concerned about their 7/8th diameter and short length of blade. I have another Cow tag and am going to use Trophy Ridge Hematic 3 blade. They also are 7/8th diameter for high speed accuracy, but are over twice as long as the Rocket Ultimate steel heads...they have been flying nicely out to 60yds...and I hope to get more cutting power with the longer blades.... also $15.99 for three @ walmart.

I might have those blades confused with the Rocket Ultimate steel....the Rocket Steel heads are mech...have not hunted with those....

I have killed a couple of animals with the ultimate steels. And they are neat little heads until they start sheding blades. I finally had to torque them in with a pair of pliers, and loc-tite. to get them not to shed blades. After that they were fine. BUt almost cost me my first big muley. took 3 arrows, and of the nine blades that went into him, only 2 came out. and all 3 arrows were pass throughs. And yes no blood trails on any of them even after I got them figured out. no blood at all on a heart shot on a pig 2 years ago. Only went 45 yards down hill. and I watched it the whole way. But no blood at all. That was my last one, and they wont be replaced just due to the lack of blood, and the amount of energy and maintenance needed. But they did work every time I used them.

yes the steelheads are mechs, and the ultimate steel are short fixed blades behind a big bone breaker head.

there is also the steelhead xp that has the blade on the nose and mech blades behind. confusing names. . .

I like the plain steelheads. Never a problem, I DO change out the rubber bands every season though to make sure those are fresh.