I'll put in a vote for the Tikka in 270 or 25-06.. I have one in .270 and for the money it can't be beat. I shot a 25-06 for many years and for whitetail I don't think there's anything better, although for some reason I can't quite explain, I now have the .270. If you hit 'em right with anything over 800 ft lbs they will die. Jack

Gotta agree with the 270. Great all around choice. ;)

Was ya burn in the 30's also :(

:P

Mike,

Are you slurring your typing, again??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :P

I have owned a Rem. 700, 22-250 for a long time and love that gun!!! It has tipped over criters as big as, Speedgoats, and Texas Whitetails.... but it is very weak in the wind.... and has let me down in the canyons hunting coues. So now I pretty much use it as my truck gun, and for preditor calling. If you are looking for something below a .30 cal. I'd have to vote for the 257 Wby.... or the .270 (or .270 wsm)... also have you considered the .300 WSM??

Good Luck.

CnS

Gotta agree with the 270. Great all around choice. ;)

Was ya burn in the 30's also :(

:P

Mike,

Are you slurring your typing, again??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :P

I have owned a Rem. 700, 22-250 for a long time and love that gun!!! It has tipped over criters as big as, Speedgoats, and Texas Whitetails.... but it is very weak in the wind.... and has let me down in the canyons hunting coues. So now I pretty much use it as my truck gun, and for preditor calling. If you are looking for something below a .30 cal. I'd have to vote for the 257 Wby.... or the .270 (or .270 wsm)... also have you considered the .300 WSM??

Good Luck.

CnS

Not then :rolleyes:

Just didn't cowboy- up

the way I meant it ;)

Unless these guys on here know something the late Jack O'Connor didn't I would say Jack would turn over in his grave if you didn't go with the 270 but maybe a few on here think Jack didn't know what he was talking about. :unsure: That saids it all for the want to be know it alls. :lol: :lol: :P

TJ

Some of you well-read of O'Connor, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that Jack's wife mainly used a 7x57 to take a wide variety of worldly game, and Jack's true preference was a 30-06, but that cartridge would not have the allure in his writings provided by the 270.

Some of you well-read of O'Connor, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that Jack's wife mainly used a 7x57 to take a wide variety of worldly game, and Jack's true preference was a 30-06, but that cartridge would not have the allure in his writings provided by the 270.

That's what I get for opening my mouth that the 270 was his favorite. :o What I should of said was, in his later years of life he favored the 270. :) Mr. O'Connor actually liked and wrote about all types of guns but was probably most well known for his love of the small bore ( .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester, 7x57, and the 30-06) but what most people didn't know is that he was, in fact, almost single-handedly responsible for the popularity of the .416 Rigby and the .416 caliber cartridges in North America. He was born in Nogales, Az. I actually got this info off the internet but have always enjoyed reading his articles as a kid growing up.

WELL OK, MAYBE I NEVER DID QUITE GROW UP! :lol :P

"

Ok, I did say "know it all want to be's" in a previous post...........just kidding guys. :lol: COOL OFF before you shoot arrows at me. ;)

TJ

i wernt til jack was old and senile that he thought the '06 was any good. before that he said all they were good for was proppin' up the hood on his truck. that way if it went off, it wouldn't make a hole in it. Lark.

Up until last Christmas I owned three guns. A Marlin .22 that I won selling magazines in FFA way back when. A Remington Model 700 BDL 22-250 that I bought with pig money when I turned 16, shot probably 6 mule deer with it until my wife bought me a Ruger .270 which has taken care of all my deer and elk needs since then.

I wouldn't recommend the 22-250 as a deer gun, but it can sure enough kill them, if you are buying a 22-250 it is because you want a fast shooting varmint gun that if in a pinch you can kill a deer with. Biggest deer I ever killed was with my 22-250, a mulie up in unit 10, cross canyon, 60 grain hornady spirepoint........I love that gun......

Last Christmas.....added the Remington .17 to my small but efficient arsenal...........

You like that VTR? Im not a huge fan of it! The one we had at SW, the top line in the triangle of the barrel is crooked!

I intended to buy a 22.250 too, but after a lot of research, I opted for the Tikka .243 :D

Could not pass up the great deal on it either!

My main use will be varmints so I can use 55gr bullets and if I decide to use it for speedgoat or deer, there are options up to 100gr.

With the 55gr, it shoots flatter than the 22.250 so what's the loss?

After I get a new scope on it, I will let you know how the Tikka works but I expect tight groups. I'll keep my 300 win mag for bigger game and use this for most everything else.

The one we had at SW, the top line in the triangle of the barrel is crooked!

Looking through Duovids can make all kinds of things look crooked.......

My hunting buddies all use their 22-250 for coues. They've killed many big deer with them. Ipersonally love my 25-06. I can put down anything from coyotes to big mulies and at very long distances ;)