I am looking into getting an 22-250 as a good deer rifle. My 300 is good but I would like a well rounded gun. I am researching good brands but can't decide. Does anyone have any suggestions?

good luck getting guys on here agreeing that any .22 caliber rifle is a "good deer rifle" or a "well rounded gun"..

I've taken plenty of deer with a 22-250, a B&C class pronghorn, a couple of blackbuck antelope, and even a beloved COUES with a .223WSSM, but most on this site will disagree with ya on that one... I do agree that it is on the light side of the spectrum, though.. wind can play havoc on .22 rounds.

Ive owned several 22-250's.. my fave was a Rem 700 with a fluted bull barrell. I. I had a Swarovski 4x14 on top, and it was a super sweet shooting rig. I could thump critters WAY out there with that set up. I ended up having a guy offer me a good price for the gun, so I let it go. I'd like to have the same gun in a .220 Swift one of these days..

Had a 22-250 in a Ruger bolt action for a few years, but just couldn't get into the mauser action.. Also had a Ruger #1 in .222

Good luck! They are fun guns to shoot! And dont worry about the nay sayers.. they'll do the job just fine.

I think a 22-250 is a little light.

Yes it can get the job done but I think

since you already have a Magnum that

a REAL good choice would be a 7MM-08

Don't let someone on here try to tell you

that a 270 would be best, He has oldtimers :ph34r:

T. Ruble

I would go with a 25-06 or something similar like a 257 mag. or 243 if you are looking for something that is well rounded to fill the gap. A 22-250 is a great round though. As for brands. I like Tikka. Good bang for the buck. I've been drooling over Kimber's rifles for a while now just haven't been able to cough up the coin to get myself one.

You have a well rounded gun. get the 300 with 150's or 200's... and everything in the middle. 22-250 is my favorite coyote/varmint rifle.

I have shot a lot of does in Texas using a 22-250 on a bipod, under 100 yards, and in the neck. Would not be my cartidge choice for open country coues, even though I was there when a 223 WSSM and a 53 grain TSX killed a coues which was broadside at 390 yards. I also saw a 55 gr HP penetrate just 1" into a shoulder of a TX WT.

If you are looking for less recoil than your 300, consider a 270, 25-06, 308, 7-08.

If you want a separate varmint/predator rifle, a 22-250 or 223 would do you well.

If you want a dual purpose deer/varmint cartridge, consider a 243 with two different loads.

I would go with a 25-06 or something similar like a 257 mag. or 243 if you are looking for something that is well rounded to fill the gap. A 22-250 is a great round though. As for brands. I like Tikka. Good bang for the buck. I've been drooling over Kimber's rifles for a while now just haven't been able to cough up the coin to get myself one.

I agree with the 25-06 and the 243. I also agree with the Tikka and wouldn't you know it I just happen to have a Tikka 25-06 I've been wanting to sell. I will bump the post.

The Browning A-bolt is a nice 22-250. I hear good things on Tikka and Weatherby Vanguards. I would like to persuade you to think a little bigger, maybe a 243 for coues. I know a 22-250 can do it, but my buddy lost a buck of a lifetime with a good shot with a 250. Dropped the deer and as he walked up to it he could see the bullet wound. He was proud of the shot and the buck got up, stumbled and ran away. he was in such amazement he didn't get another in him. We tracked for 2 days and didn't find that deer! The 22-250 is a bit light, especially when you need to reach out. Kinetic energy is pretty minimal. Ultimately, its up to you and what you want though. Don't let others make up your mind for you, but you may want to consider advice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have an uncle in UT who has been using a 22-250 for years to hunt mule deer and he swears by it.

kimber makes a rifle in 22-250, also remington model 700, remington model 7, remington predator (new this year and all camo), ruger model 77, ruger number 1, the list goes on and on.

If your looking for a MARGINAL deer gun the 22-250 will do it. For a good all around gun +1 on the 270, although the 25-06, and various 257's are nice, look into a 264 if ya want some what of an oddball. 22-250 is a great gun but really wouldnt be an IDEAL deer gun. Great for coyotes though. Comeon lark give em more heck than that. ;) i know i got it for switchin on elk.

22-250 wouldn't be my choice for deer, .243 more like it. I've taken every deer with my .243 at over 400yds. Its a great rifle. I once seen a man shoot a coues with a 22-250 at 100yds or so, it went down, but got back up. the first shot was a great shot too! long story short, 9 shots to the head and neck is what it took before it finally gave up. But if you are stuck on the 22-250......I like the Ruger M77's.

first off, i love a good .22/.250. very easy to reload and get incredible accuracy. at least in a decent rifle. i have a ruger VT that i can shoot 5 shots in one hole at 100 yds. 52 gr hpbt hornady match bullets with some varget behind em. i don't even load mine hot and get over 3800 fps. super coyote rifle. be a good pig gun. does some incredible things on prarie dogs (especially them big fat ones in colorado). and i've shot at least one deer with one. but it would be way down on my wish list of deer guns. you can do it, especially on them dinky whitetail. but you best really be a good shot and use a good tough bullet. something that i ain't aware is made in one that will work in a .22/.250. be better off moving up to a .243, .257, .264 or the best in the world, that all smart folks shoot, the .270. something that has enough weight in the bullet to penetrate a deer. if you punch a deer in the lungs with a .22/.250, they'll go right down. hit the shoulder, neck, butt, etc, you could have problems on your hands. nothing is good in the guts. they also ain't much in the wind. but no rifle is really. no matter what folks say. wind effects everything a bunch. and whatever you do, stay the heck away from a 7mm/08. worst pud gun ever made. it's like a kid who just eats, smokes dope and plays video games. slow, dumb and don't like to work hard. in fact, they oughta shoot whoever invented it. with a .22. if they shot em with a 7mm/08, it'd probly bounce off. Lark.