Sign in to follow this  
Redman

For the Whisker Biscuit Nay Sayers

What vanes are working or lasting the best with the WB? Any difference in performance (speed, grouping, stabilization) with straight, 2* offset, helical? I would think that straight would offer the least decrease in speed, but 2-3 fps can be made up with one pound more in draw weight.

Shoot a drop-away and maybe your arrow will go where they need to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: J/K

Humm you may be on to something...

I have thought about switching to a drop away so I could shoot FOBs, FOB, I would love not to fletch another arrow.

Redman

What vanes are working or lasting the best with the WB? Any difference in performance (speed, grouping, stabilization) with straight, 2* offset, helical? I would think that straight would offer the least decrease in speed, but 2-3 fps can be made up with one pound more in draw weight.

I have found that only Blazer or Quickspins last with a WB. I use the AAE which has a 1* offset. With the short 2 inch Blazers it's hard to get more offset.

Like I said eailer, I am interested in FOBs but I would have to change rests...there is always something to play with in archery.

Redman

I ran some fletching tests against my WB a few years back. I made up some 4" straight, 4" helical, blazer straight and blazer helical.

To be honest grouping was about all the same. Little to no wear on rest or vanes with blazer straights or 4" straight. Little wear on blazer helical and lots of wear on 4" helical. The thing that I really noticed was on the flight of arrow. With 4" helical the arrow would come out of the bow with a kick to it but the helical would stabilize it so that it grouped just as good as the straight vanes. Straight vanes either size flew like darts. Due to vane & rest wear, flight and better grouping I have settled on blazer vanes setup straight set up on my Carbon Force 300's.

My 4-5" grouping at 50yds during my practice this past week works for me. I shoot about 16-24 arrows a night, 3 times a week lately with no vane or rest wear what so ever. My rest has seen several thousands of shots and some of my arrows have been shot the same with no fletching changes over the past two years.

As for the WB... I love that the arrow doesn't fall off in a hunting situation when drawing and lets me draw in about any position I need to. I wish I had used the rest on my last antelope hunt and glad I have it for my lope hunt in Aug. Right now it works and works well 'for me' so I'm sticking with it. Ain't broke... don't fix it.

Now I just wish I could move that WB over to a PSE X Force before the antelope hunt but boy do they love those bows looking at the price tag of them.

cmc

oh and wow... I wish I could group arrows at that distance like he did.... I'm jealous both of the ability as well the place to shoot 130yds for the practice.

The WB is by far an amazing rest... I had a great run with that rest and have nothing negative to say about it... Use it! I switched because I went on the Spot Hogg staff and decided to utilize the Whammy drop away as part of the package... I havn't had any problems with the new drop away... I am pleased with it as well. Matter of fact, I am shooting a touch better!

Since I started this thread, things have changed A LOT for me. I have changed from a WB to a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone and began using FOBs......and you know what, I could not be happier.

The FOBs are awesome. They fly true and are so easy to use. I may never fletch another arrow again (notice I said may, because just as soon as I say never some new vane will come out and the curiosity kills the cat). My broadheads are shooting exactly like my field points.

I know FOBs are not for everybody, but if you have not tried them, you should. http://www.starrflight.com/

Redman

I just shot my new bow with a WB on it and so far so good.

Granted, I only shot it a few times. But I like it so far.

Mike

Just helped my friend sight in his new DXT. He got it with a WB. I was very skeptical at first. Not any more. The WB performed perfectly. accuracy, noise ect were right on no noticiable difference then any other quality rest.. I will never say anything bad about The WB again. On the other hand the Spot Hogg 7 deadly pin is an overpriced piece of you know what. Had to crank the sight down to the last thread and move the 20 pin significantly lower in the sight window (note my friend is average draw length 29 and has an anchor point under his ear) which leaves very zero play in elevation. Also, adjusting the individual pins is a cluster reproductive act. Plus I think Cameron Hayes is a poofter. "Pick a Spott." These should be thrown in the garbage heap next to all the trophy ridge dog doo doo, crappy, over priced sights. Of coarse, this is, in my opinion only.

Bob

Bobbyo, it isnt the sight that had a problem, it is the hight of your friends peep. What bow did he switch from to go to the DXT. I would imagine it was probably a longer axle to axle bow where the string angle at full draw was not as sharp. With the shorter bows the anchor and peep must be moved to compensate for the sharp angles. If he really likes the sight, move his peep up 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, that should center his sight or at least make it closer. It will also tighten the pin gaps a touch.

As far as whisker bisquit goes, it is a decent rest, but to shoot extended ranges accurately proper and solid form must be used. They also have a tendancy to tear up fletchings. I tested one to see if I would like it, and it was ok, but it does slow the arrows down, which to me isnt a big deal as long as it shoots accurate, but it opened my groups up a little, and it even opened up the groups through my shooting machine. That is the reason I shoot a ripcord, it holds the arrow in place, and is not as touchy to any problems with form or follow through.

Oh, bobbyo, if your friend wants to get rid of his Spott Hogg 7dp sights let me know.