standman

Junior Hunter's First Turkey

After a long wait and a lot of preseason scouting, Sam's opening morning finally came. We arrived at our predetermined location at 4:30 am with the toms alreading gobbling. There we six toms in total sounding off. We quietly easing into our calling location and set up the decoys (which it was hard to do when you can't see a thing). After setting up, my brother, Sam and I settled in and let things calm down a little. As daylight approached I started calling. With every yelp and cluck the six toms would gobble. As the calling continued and just before fly out the dreaded sounds of hens were heard. There were hens calling everywhere. I was doing my best to compete with the hens when all the gobblers flew down. Five of them headed up the creek away from us towards the hens, while one stayed on the point where he roosted. As I continued my impression of a love sick hen, the tom started coming our direction. Finally I could see him about 80 yards out, back and to the right of us. My brother trying to keep Sam as calm and still as he could, still couldn't see the bird. As the tom approached he finally was straight to the right of Sam at 40 yards. At that point the gobbler could see the decoys and he puffed up and came running hard right at them. As he passed behind a big tree Sam raised his gun into position. The gobbler ran right up to the jake decoy that was on top of the hen decoy and began to spur and beat it to pieces. Sam being as calm as he could be (I could see his knees shaking from 10 yards behind him) tightened down on his gun, I clucked one time to raise the toms head, and at 20 yards Sam layed the hammer down on him. Immediately Sam was hooting and hollering. What an experience. It was all over by 5:30. Sam did everything right and was rewarded with a great gobbler. This is an experience we will never forget. Here are a couple pics of the proud boy.

Oops, put this in the wrong forum. Should of put it in the youth hunters forum. My bad.

Brian

100_0308.jpg

100_0311-2.jpg

Sounds like an excellent hunt. I can't wait for my boys to be of age. Keep them kids in the woods.. Congrats.

Brian, that was a great story and the pics were really good as well. A BIG congratulations on Sam's first turkey. :D Thanks for sharing and get him to start his own hunting journal.

TJ

Congrats to that Boy!!!! Nice bird! The Memmories that last a lifetime! :D

My Nephew smoked a great big 'ol Gobler yesterday at 7:00 am with his Dad.... Boy was he all jacked-up and Proud!!! :D

Gotta love getting the Youngun's out there on these exciting spring hunts!!!!

Congrats, again!! ;)

CnS

Good for you for hunting with the kids! And congrats to Sam! Thanks for the story and pic's

Lance

Awesome story and pic's! Congrats to Sam! JIM>

Sam wants me to thank everyone for the kind comments. For only an hour long hunt, this was one of the best experiences we have ever had. Sam really works hard at learning and absorbing any information he can find to help him out in the field. He has turned into quite a hunter, especially when his family is a non hunting family. Thanks again everyone.

Brian

Congrats to your boy! He will remember this forever.

I spent 3 days out with my 12 year old (kidbowhunter), but he is determined to use his bow, and that isn't making it easy.

Mark

Nice bird Sam! Nice job Brian on getting that young man out and letting him experiencing the woods in the spring, nothing quite like it.......except the fall when the bulls are bugling.

bowsniper, I think that is really cool the your son is so committed to taking a bird with his bow.