bullwidgeon

Even more NM coues.

Congratulations,

Sounds like you guys had fun. Don't let the beer-can throwin', road huntin' crowd bother you. Those guys are HARMLESS!!!!!!

Hope you get a whopper in December.

Couesi1

nothing wrong with either one of those bucks congrats! i actually like really big 2x2 there awesome! nice maim beams on ur buck!

Beautiful animals.Congarts on you both.Sure makes me miss home (AZ) witht hose pic's.Now I wanna come home and get a Coues :lol: Congrats! Fellas. Daniel

Great Bucks!!!

I had to change my New Mexico license from the early November hunt to the late archery hunt since I drew out in AZ for the Nov hunt. My wife may have been a little irate if I was gone 12 days hunting(Whats her problem anyway?! :lol: )

That unit is good but those BEM(booger eating morons) on the 4 wheelers road hunting drive my nuts. The first year I hunted after getting out of the GULAG(read residency and medical school here ) a 400 lb road hunter almost finished me off before I could even make my first student loan payment. He rode all over the flat I was glassing( no roads of course) then rode up to where I was glassing. guess he was going to see if he had got anything stirred up other than me. Anyway I wave at the MORON and think he sees me, start to walk out and the next thing you know I hear him cocking his rifle . Guess I should have waved with all of my fingers extended instead of just the middle one :D , Anyway I stopped moving and yelled at him and he finally saw me. He went on his fat four wheeler way and I went back to camp and changed my underwear. The moral of the story is the roadhunters in 23 are VERY bad!!!! Congrats again Brett on the awesome deer. AG

Thanks again guys,

There are lots of roadhunters, unless you bail off into a hellhole and there are plenty of them around.

FFD, good luck on the archery hunt, there are plenty of killer rut saddles around there that I would love to archery hunt, the rubs and scrapes we found on the ridge where I killed my buck this year were incredible. If I knew how to shoot a bow I would be all over that January archery deal over there. Did you guys bring a kid maybe 10-15 years old or so by our camp to look at the nice buck Ruston killed last year, we had hanging in a tree out in front? If so, you know how bad it was last year, well it was significantly worse this year as far as numbers of guys go. But again, we were lucky that very few got off the road more than a half mile. Again, good luck in January.

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Brett,

That was us, that was my boy Merrill, he was 7 and he has been bothering me non stop to go hunting since then. Was it worse this year than last? It seemed bad last year on the road, at least very few showed any ambition to get out and walk. did you see any lion sign in there, I found a lion kill last year that was fresh on the last day of the hunt. AG

No lion sign or lionkills. Lots of bear sign though, way more than last year. Last year I found a nice 140-150 inch 4x4 muley with an arrow in him rather far back of where it should have been and dead and bleached out under a juniper tree. So much for the carp archer that stuck that one. That is awesome your boy is so fired up about hunting. We need more kids to get fired up about it. It was worse this year as far as numbers and road hunting. 2 times as many quads for sure this year that people were actively idling up and down the roads with loaded rifles on and ready to go. Anyways, that place will probably be deserted come January though, and you should do rather well.

Bret M.

Bret,

Thanks for the info. I am going to see how rattling works on those grey ghosts. I am not really into carp as the meat makes my stomach turn. Here in NM as far as I can tell the kids can take the hunter safety as soon as they are old enough to understand the questions. I have already taken my boy out and let him shoot my 22-250 and he is hooked. everytime I go out to sight in a rifle we have to take it so he can shoot it. Little dude is actually pretty accurate as long as he has a good rest.

Hopefully with the new draw that will cut down on the road bombers a little, but I guess as long as they stay on the road and away from where I am hunting it will be fine.

good luck on the upcoming hunt AG

Yeah, I think going to draw will fix alot of road hunters. That place will be awesome for gorilla sized coues bucks in a few years if they can cut down on the ladmos like me and my buddies whacking 4 and 5 year old deer. I have a shed off a deer that would score 109 typical if everything matched with a 13 inch spread, that I drug out of there last year, he must have been an old one, and I looked and looked for one that size this year but didn't see one. Maybe they will show up for the archery rut hunt. Again good luck, I would go to the highest saddle you can find north of the green gate that is just West of that big dirt tank that was almost a mile east of our camp and sit there during your hunt. A toad will appear I assure you if you give that enough time.

Bret M.

Hey brett,

Awsome bucks!! Im a transplant here in NM from Tucson. Hunted coues all my life down by Arivaca. Seeing these pictures really have me fired up for next year. Ive been killing carp in 23 for a few years and had no idea there was a huntable population of whitetail. Glassed up 2 doe coues this year over by mule creek. No bucks though. Im really gl;ad they are going to a draw this year. Ran in to a guy walking down the road with a tripod and good glasses. I told my partner that I bet he is from AZ looking for whitatail. Sure enough, real nice guy. Im officially hanging up any aspirations of carp and going strictly coues from now on. Any advice on were to scout.\ etc? I have a javelina tag for Feb and plan on archery hunting in 23. Would like to look for whitail while Im at it. Any sitings of javelina on your hunt? Thanks for the great story and pics. Sorry for the idiot road hunters. Ive come to just live with them and there menality. Keeps them out of my glasses though which is nice. Great Job!! Jake

Corkin,

I have not seen any huntable numbers of hogs in unit 23. Just a few freak sightings while driving the road between the state border line and Glenwood at night. You may want to check around the town of Mule Creek, thats where I have seen the most cross the road and that was not too many. There are huntable numbers of coues in alot places in 23 but not nearly the numbers you are used to seeing in the 36 units in AZ. It takes alot of patience or stupidity :rolleyes: and trial and error to find them. If you draw for next year let me know and I can point you to some good places to scout, but it seems the population and numbers of good bucks changes drastically yearly over there...

Bret M.