After badly missing a couple shots last rifle season, I need to hit the range . . . and pick up a range finder. Any suggestions as to which one I should go with?

My next purchase will be the Leica CRF 1200, that thing is sweet. I have used a Bushnell compact 800 for the last several years with no trouble but I want the Leica!

I would consider the Leica 1200. A step up would be the Swaro rangefinder, although its aiming circle is too large, imo. I usually find that one can get consistent readings to about 2/3 -3/4 of the unit's stated range. So while it may be a 1200 yard RF, you might get consistent readings to 800-900 yards, depending upon the reflectivity of the target. Antelope on the flat praire are tough to get good readings.

Doug at Camera Land has good prices and service. He may still have a LRF 1200 available, and certainly the newer CRF 1200.

RR

I have the Swarovski Laser Range Finder (LRF) and I wouldn't recommend anything else. I've ranged all the way out to 1500 yards and it would probably do more. It is super duper clear. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

scott

I like the Leupold RX IV . Max range of 1500 yds and has the ballistic compensation for up or down angle shots. Gives you the range you should shoot for.

Not Leica but pretty darn good for under $500.00

Go with either the Leica or the Swaro, you won't be sorry.

az4life - does Leupold have all the bugs worked out of that TBR system yet? A few close freinds had them and we had trouble getting readings over 400 yards. We even sent them back and still had issues, we eventually gave up and returned them. But that was back when they first came out. I really like the idea. Thanks.

az4life - does Leupold have all the bugs worked out of that TBR system yet? A few close freinds had them and we had trouble getting readings over 400 yards. We even sent them back and still had issues, we eventually gave up and returned them. But that was back when they first came out. I really like the idea. Thanks.

I dont think they have yet. One thing you need to notice is the difference between reflective and non-reflective yardages. That leupold rf has a 1500 yard reflective rating.....then the non-reflective rating is less then half that. A deer or any type of animal are considered "non" reflective. So in reality that leupold rf should not pick up an animal over I would say around 500-600 yards.

Like most people recommended the Leica CRF 1200 is a great rf....its hard to keep these rf's in stock...we are always having issues getting them into our store, mostly due to their popularity. It is a sweet RF...they also have a 900 model

Like Doug, was saying about the swaro rf, it does have a big circle so it is hard picking up objects at a distance. Another thing is it has a dim read out which in a lot of sunlight it is hard to read at times. Another thing is it is slower on giving you readings. Out of all the rf's it has the best optics to me.

Another rf I would recommend is the Nikon 800 or 1200 I think they are really good for the money. I have found that these two have the best capability of picking up objects at longer distances. They have a really sensitive laser. In SW we have some chains hanging down from the rafters, out of all the rf's these two nikons can pick up the chain. I have not been able to w/any other rf out of a countless # of attempts. One downfall is that sometimes it can be too sensitive, and if you are archery/rifle hunting in thick country, you could be trying to range an animal and get a false reading because you got a reading of a twig that is 10-15 yards behind the animal.

IMO, buy the Leica or the Nikon

Kevin,

I have had problems getting readings over 600-700 yds with mine.... I like the range finder but not always the performance.... <_<

Did your buddys send theirs back or just keep them??

I have had the Optilogic range finder for bow hunting for several years..... it is a bit bulky but very precise on those hard steep shots. I like it.

CnS

I have the Geovids and i think the Swaro's do a better job. I also think you need to consider the fact that the readings in the Leica's are in red you may have a problem seeing the red letters if your color blind. I know mine are red and i see it just fine but i have a buddy who is color blind and he can't see the readings.

Pronghorn are the toughest animal to read--no matter how good your RF is/are you will not have very many readings past 400 to 500 yards out--it is frustrating when you have long range shooters and you can not tell them with a pair of $2300 dollar glass and RF what the distance is!!!

Did your buddys send theirs back or just keep them??

I have had the Optilogic range finder for bow hunting for several years..... it is a bit bulky but very precise on those hard steep shots. I like it.

CnS

I believe the store they got them from let them return them. Sportsman's Warehouse i think.

I appreciate everyone's quick responses. I'm leaning toward the Leica 1200 or Nikon 1200. I recently bought a Nikon BDC scope, and like the clarity and low-light performance. I'll have to check out some of the others before I make the purchase.