jamaro

Lead on a Cow Buff Hunt - good meat hunt

Hey everybody..

I recently got an email for Dan Bishop of Cola Blanca Outfitters (a Sponsor) that he has about 20 cow buffalo hunts at Vermejo Park in NE NM for sale. They are going to $800.00. I think Dan handles everything but the processing.

If you are interested give him a call. I would be going on the hunt but I have to be out of town....

Jason

Are you going on the hunt TAM? if so what is included in it? what about room and board or is it a back pack trip? I would love to set it up with him I just need the info soon so I can request the days off.

thanks

Just a heads up its not a REAL hunt. Its more of a harvest/shoot. Great meat though. My parents have gone in with a few other peeple and split a cow and they might do it again this year.

what about room and board or is it a back pack trip?

backpack trip? For buffalo? Makes my back hurt thinking about that.

I was wondering if the buffalo where eating grain along with pasture? I had a couple friends kill a couple down in southern NM and the meat was very yellow from eating cacti they said. They hung in my walkin is how I know. I thought the meat tasted good. Any idea how much these cows weigh?

TJ

I'm not sure if I'm going or not? It's more of a shoot than a traditional hunt. I think you get about 400 pounds or so of meat plus the head and hide. You are on your own for hotels and I think it's in the NE corner of NM. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Tim

It seems like a pretty good deal as far as venison goes... I think that yellowish meat is normal, I have seen a ton a buffalo from all over the country and they all look like that.. I am not sure why.

Yeah it is a shoot but they need to cull all of those cows, there really isn't any other way of doing it.

Take Care

Jason

I know some guys that did this last year and they basically drove up to the animals and shot them in the ear hole at like 30 yards.

I know some guys that did this last year and they basically drove up to the animals and shot them in the ear hole at like 30 yards.

I'm pretty sure thats how it goes.

Its a great chance to get some GREAT meat. Either way they have to take those animals off the range so you might as well get some of that meat for yourself! Pluse theres plenty of meat to go around on those cows you can always split the meat and even out the cost between some friends.