COOSEFAN

You guys won't believe this..........

Definitely a cool thing to see one of them. And you are One of the few to experience it.

About 5 years ago, while glassing for coues in the Little Dragoons in unit 32 , my brother swears that he spotted from a distance what appeared to be a large black colored cat. He though that it was a jaguar, but I figured he was full of it.

Thanks guys and gals! I really appreciate the fact that nobody has questioned me about what I saw. I knew I could tell my CWT.com family about this and you wouldn't kick me out the door......you guys are awesome! The sight of that Jaguar is something that will be burned in my brain forever and I still can't believe I saw one! I've done some research and I'm now fully confident that it was indeed a Jaguar, it had short legs and had an arch to his back which made him look similar to a bear with a long tail! The darker colors was probably due to the elevation and terrain but I did see pic's that showed the same color phase as the one I saw, so now I have no doubt it was a Jaguar!

As far as setting trail cams up, I can't explain to you how thick the bottoms of the ravines are, it's unbelieveable thick! And to be truthful, it's very scary 'cause all you have is a dull machete, you can't swing a rifle around in there, and I have no clue how protective a Jaguar is over his kill! So, pretty much we were too chicken to go back in! :unsure: :ph34r:

Scottyboy, I did see one covey of quail and they looked like those Elegante' Quail! I asked the cowboy on the ranch and he said he see's very few as well but agreed on what type of quail they were. They held very tight and with the amount of country I covered I feel I should have seen more, but I don't know. Also I would be afraid to try and follow dogs in that mess of cactus and thornbushes! I told my partners to find out more about those quail and if there's any better places to hunt them. I'll let ya know.

Thanks again, JIM>

Nice story, Jim.... I totally think that is what you saw.... What an awesome opportunity to see one of those cats!!!!

Jim,

Having that sighting "burned" in your mind can be annoying. I don't know how many times I couldn't get a picture of something and wish I could just transfer it from my mind to film. Once again, that is awesome that you saw a jag... I'm envious, too cool.

--Bill

While I was reading your story I was fully expecting to hear of a sighting of the elusive Chupacabre.

I guess a jaguar sighting is sort of cool as well ;)

Pictures??? otherwise I'll have to file this story under the "Monster Quest" forum... ;) All joking aside Jim, all I can say is "you the man"! First ya kill me with all the cool reptile pix/stories now ya killing me with all the mammal stories. True to the saying "you won't see them if you don't get out". That country looks wicked... what kind of chaps ya wearing? I bet that stuff is chewing you guys up. Best of luck to the rest of your adventures and look forward to some "Eyes of Fire" pix.

Ernest

You know, that Chupacabre incident still gives me the chills just thinking about it........definitely the most scared I've ever been, even though it was probably something harmless I'm sure :unsure:

Thanks Ernest, you said it best though...."you won't see them if you don't get out". We spent ALOT of time behind the binos last month and that definitely increases your chances of rare sightings. We never would have known there was a Jaguar in the vicinity if it weren't for Craig "slicing" through the bottom and kicking it out. We had sat on that same spot for several days prior and that cat was probably there below us the whole time! I use the cheap chaps which are just snake chaps from Sportsmans Wharehouse, but my client had a nice pair of brush-buster type chaps he got from Cabelas.....but I don't think they are snake proof, but they are alot quieter. The rancher killed two BIG rattlesnakes the last week of Dec. just before we got there, so we were on edge all the time to say the least! Thanks, JIM>

We also hunted in very thick country in southern mexico this year.(7 hours driving south of the border) The ranches we were hunting on belong to the mx gov. and are set aside for jag research. we were the first to hunt the ranches.