crazyaboutcoues

Jamaro and crazyaboutcoues Mexico hunt

Jason and I took three bruisers in Mexico last week. Jason was "man of the hour" again with a buck grossing 115" and change with some characteristics you rarely see on a coues deer. I took a 107 6/8" typical and a 106 2/8 buck. We will post pictures once we get them all cropped. My first buck was video taped by Dan which showed some pretty cool footage. We also have a picture with both our bucks which we will submit for best photo in the CWT contest. We just need Dan to send it to us. I'll write up a story and post it later.

Congrats to you guys! I can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories.

Phil

Congratulations guys, that is awesome. I have been wondering how you all have been doing down there all week. We should all hook up sometime, look at the bucks, and tell some stories!

Jeff

Can't wait to see pics and read stories ;)

Here's the story and some of the pictures. I need to see the ones Dan took for best photo.

Enjoy

The night before opening day was long and restless, not because I was anxious for the morning to come, but because Jason snores like a Javelina being chased by a mountain lion :blink:. We were excited to see what the day would bring. As I opened the door to the guide's house I was met by a gentle Mexican rancher named Elio, he said good morning and asked me how we slept. We drank some coffee and ate a muffin waiting to see who our guides would be, and to our surprise Dan Bishop himself would be guiding Jason and me on the first day. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least, most of the time if the outfitter guides, he's guiding the top clients. Or maybe he just knew that we would post the story all over the Internet :D. We were also accompanied by Taylor, Taylor is a 19-year kid that has hunted all his life and his dad was guiding two other hunters.

We left camp about 15 minutes before light and were headed to the ranch furthest east from where we were staying. On the way over we stopped and glassed a few ridges picking up tons of does and a few good bucks. But nothing we were ready to shoot on opening morning. We finally got to the ranch and the spot where we would glass from. I picked up a doe about a 1000 yards out and kept an eye on her hoping there was a big buck chasing. Just about that time Taylor says "buck" with an authoritative voice. We immediately asked him where? He directed us to the bottom of a draw where my buck was laying down with a couple does feeding near him. I really couldn't tell if he was a shooter, I could tell he was tall and had a decent spread. After a few minutes he turned his head to reveal the mass and the tine length. I quietly whispered "whoa, did you see that"? Dan looked at me and said "you need to shoot that buck". I ranged him at alittle over 500 yards. We decided to get to another ridge to get a closer shot. We quietly worked our way to a small gravel point and set up for the shot. Dan asked me if I wanted the shot video taped, why not we have time, he's bedded and doesn't know we are here. After Dan set the camera on the tripod, I ranged the buck at 275 yards. He was still bedded, so I didn't have a clear shot of the vitals. Finally the doe started walking away and I told Dan to get ready, that the buck is going to get up at any minute. Sure enough the buck gets up and shakes the dirt off his hide. At this point I still did not have a clear shot at the vitals. He would have to take a few steps. He started to move and gave me a quartering away shot. I touched off the 150 grain Sierra gameking and saw the buck kick in the air and heard the thud. "He's hit" Dan whispered to me. We waited for Jason to come down to where we were, then we went to find the buck. He was down about 50 yards from where we hit him. Jason asked me why I wasn't doing the cabbage patch dance. I answered with a smile "I can't believe we are in Mexico and I just dropped the best trophy of my life". I was pretty much in shock. We took tons of pictures and hung him in a tree to go look for a buck for Jason.

Here I am in shock looking at the biggest coues deer of my life

post-35-1200698336_thumb.jpg

It was about 12:00pm opening day with one buck down and we decided to eat lunch over looking a few fingers and draws. The day was hot and I didn't expect to find anything. Boy was I wrong. Chewing on my sandwich I told Jason, "well J- you're up buddy". He replied "OK find me a buck with a droptine on his right side". I was like uh OK. A few minutes later Taylor calls me over to where he was sitting he said he sees something under a tree that looks like a deer. So I go over and sit by him set up my 15's and ask where he's looking. He directs me to a point about 1200 yards away under a mesquite tree all by itself. I finally find what he's looking at to reveal a giant buck bedded down in the shade. I tell Taylor that it looks like he has a droptine on his left side. I call Dan over to bring his spotting scope. Sure enough great buck with a drop tine. Didn't Jason just order one with a droptine? All this time Jason is sitting in the shade eating his lunch oblivious of the buck he would be going after in a few short minutes. We called Jason down and told him we had a buck for him. He asked if the buck was at least 95" and I responded "and then some". He quickly replied I don't want to hear anymore, what's the game plan. Dan and I discussed the best way to get within range. We decided that I would walk to a point about 570 yards from the buck to keep an eye on him as Jason and Dan moved in for a shot. When I got to the point, I motioned Dan and Jason over. In a few minutes Jason and Dan were right behind me asking if he was still there. The buck had gotten up and was posturing a 95" class buck that moved in to take his does. In the blink of an eye Jason and Dan were passed me and on there way to the buck. It took them a good 30 minutes to get to the ridge about 200 yards from the buck. In that time the big buck had already chased the smaller buck and was courting a doe under a different tree.

For some reason my radio wasn't working and I lost all contact with Jason and Dan. I had the perfect view of both the hunters and the deer. I saw Jason getting set up for the shot and my heart started pumping harder than when I shot my buck. It's about to happen! The doe saw or heard Jason and Dan and decided they were to close for comfort. She started moving out and the buck followed. As I watched them start to top the small point they were on I heard the BOOM. The buck was confused but the doe ran like a bat out of heck. I watched the buck chase the doe for a about 1/4 mile and I lost them at the bottom of a canyon. I'm sure Jason's heart was a little shook up but there is no quit in him. I quickly walked to another point over looking the big wash to see if I could pick him up again. I was glassing in the direction that the buck was moving. About ten minutes later I pretty much thought to myself he's gone for good. Then I heard BOOM and I heard the distinct thud of a hit. I heard Jason ask Dan "Is he down"? And Dan replied "YEP". Jason yells out YYYEEEAAAHHHH!!! I never saw where they were shooting. But he was down, the second shot was at 380 yards moving up the ridge. I was so excited that I ran from my ridge over another ridge and dropped to the bottom of the canyon where I met Jason and Dan. It was over; Jason and I had just harvested a 107" and a 115" buck less than a mile apart on opening day. What a rush!!!!!!

post-35-1200698492_thumb.jpg

We had set the bar for the camp on the first day.

post-35-1200698507_thumb.jpg

On the third day I took another great buck which I will post the story and pix when I get the pix from Scott.

We had a great time and would like to thank Tim Maddock "TAM" for helping us chose the right Outfitter.

Tommy and Jason,

This trip was a good cap to the season. And to order up a drop-tine, besides. Must have been nice to sit around the rest of the week with a big set of grins :D :D

Congrats.

Doug~RR

Thanks Guys...

It was an amazing hunt... Cola Blanca has an amazing set of ranches... I am still in shock over the entire thing. 115 inches with a Drop Tine and a extra browtine... Man... what a hunt. That picture with both of our bucks is cool... 222 inches of BONE....

man...

J-

Here are a couple more pix:

This is Elio the Mexican Rancher that was there the entire hunt

post-35-1200755583_thumb.jpg

This is Edgar, Elio, Juan and Armando that helped out as well. These young men are the definition of hard work, they would carry out deer on there back for miles and never complain an ounce. I need to take my 17 year old boy over there and show him what work really is.

post-35-1200755702_thumb.jpg

Another angle of my 107

post-35-1200755849.jpg

post-35-1200755904.jpg

post-35-1200755964_thumb.jpg

Here's the crew: Top left to right - Scott 99/3/8", Tim, Rick, Nash 97" and Jason 115". Bottom left to right - Jed 112", me 107" and 106", Thomas 113"

post-35-1200756116_thumb.jpg

Congrats to the whole lot of ya. Lokks like a great hunt.

I'll have to remember that little trick of ordering up drop tines.

Thats pretty cool

Mike

The Ranchers were awesome. One of the clients wanted a horseback hunt so they saddled one of the horses up and headed off. The hunter was fortunate enough to take a nice deer but he was having a hard time working his horse so that old guy in the black jacket grabbed the horse by the reins and hauled butt up the mountain. They said the only one that was winded was the horse. Those guys are made of stone.

Another neat part is that Dan's hunters have already donated over 1100 pounds of meat to the local community. That is awesome!!! Tommy donated his two deer and I donated mine.

Jason