Knolan

Lightweight Riflescope

Leupold Claims that their scopes are set for long distance, 1000 yds plus, and that there will be error at shorter distances. e.g running a box test at under 300 yds.

All I know is I routinely dial elevation to 20 plus MOA and windage to 6 plus and I've never had a problem with my zero. I'm happy. I guess I don't want to do a box test. It might make me decide I need to replace all of my scopes and I can't afford to do that.

Leupold Claims that their scopes are set for long distance, 1000 yds plus, and that there will be error at shorter distances. e.g running a box test at under 300 yds.

laughter_zpsupoy4mfr.gif

All I know is I routinely dial elevation to 20 plus MOA and windage to 6 plus and I've never had a problem with my zero. I'm happy. I guess I don't want to do a box test. It might make me decide I need to replace all of my scopes and I can't afford to do that.

Do you even know you are saying here? They are actually admitting their scopes don't do what I warned of earlier....

Did a Leupold rep actually tell you this?

Laughing. I'm not trying to be rude but I don't need to read their literature if that's what Leupold is claiming....

I suspect Leupold never says what you are claiming. It'd be bye bye for them. I have no time to actually look. If they do say it, that would be great stuff, a company admitting their scopes are POS's and don't track.

Guys, I could literally care less what you use. I'm not trying to tell anyone anything. I you dial, check your stuff and shoot your stuff often. It will be eye opening...

Happy tag season...

I have never had a problem with my leupold dialing either... I am sure some have issues, but they are a fine scope for the money. I trust them over Vortex. If you are not willing to spend over a grand, they are a good alternative. The deer I have killed with them, never told me that my scope dialed incorrectly..... Grin...

• Like 2

Thats what they claim. Have you had problems wilt Leupold?

Only twice. Out of 3 scopes. My Vari-X III 6.5-20×50 tracked right. But... I did not dial it nearly as much as I do now.

Laughing. I'm not trying to be rude but I don't need to read their literature if that's what Leupold is claiming....

I suspect Leupold never says what you are claiming. It'd be bye bye for them. I have no time to actually look. If they do say it, that would be great stuff, a company admitting their scopes are POS's and don't track.

Guys, I could literally care less what you use. I'm not trying to tell anyone anything. I you dial, check your stuff and shoot your stuff often. It will be eye opening...

Happy tag season...

Happy tag season...

Since you don't have time I will post some of what they claim. Please excuse any typos. From Leupold:

"Long-range rifle scopes should be optimized to shoot at long range...not to perform perfect box drills at 100 yards."

"Most other manufacturers choose to make their reticles subtend perfectly at 100 yards because most shooters test the accuracy of their reticles at that distance. This may result in perfect 100-yard box drills, but it creates a massive 7% error at 1000 yards."

I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong...just reporting what they say.

It might be that I don't really shoot at long distance, or at least not long enough to know the difference anyway. Where I usually shoot I can only get to 800 yards. I seldom go to a spot I can shoot longer. I know if I miss my first shot at 800 I don't blame the scope, it's all on me. Usually wind or poor trigger control. Heck, 800 yards is a long way for 300 WM, bare gun that weight 5 lb 4 oz anyway. Practicing with a ultralight gun forces me to try to be perfect.

I have complete faith in my Leupolds. They have never failed me. I can rack the dials back and forth, up, down left right, and I'm still zeroed. I can dial up to 600 and shoot a centered <1/2 MOA group.

Big or Bust, you said "Do you even know you are saying here?" and "I suspect Leupold never says what you are claiming." You might want to rephrase you statements/questions sometimes if you aren't trying to state/imply someone is lying (or just plain stupid?). The written word can be so literal (FTF is much better. How about a beer?).

Mike

No offense intended. I'm typing and driving... (Shhhh)....

Where on their website does the above come from? Can you link?

That is hysterical and mind blowing actually. I don't even know what they are trying to say. Our scopes track at long range but not short ranges? Our reticle subtentions aren't made for a tall box test? No sense made...

Since you don't have time I will post some of what they claim. Please excuse any typos. From Leupold:

"Long-range rifle scopes should be optimized to shoot at long range...not to perform perfect box drills at 100 yards."

"Most other manufacturers choose to make their reticles subtend perfectly at 100 yards because most shooters test the accuracy of their reticles at that distance. This may result in perfect 100-yard box drills, but it creates a massive 7% error at 1000 yards."

An MOA is 1.049" @ 100 yards. Meaning at 1000, it is 10.49".

Most people think MOA is 1" @ 100, and 10" @ 1000. Meaning they are off by 1/2" @ 1000. I doubt most people can hold the difference of .5" @ 1000. And 99.999% don't have a rifle that can shoot better than 1/2" @ 1000.

SFP scopes can definitely incur errors @ 1000 if they are not calibrated exactly, or if you are off max magnification by even .5x and are holding for elevation or windage.

7% @ 1000 yards is.....70 yards.... meaning a 930 to 1070 yard dial. I think even a Tasco has more accurate tracking than that.

I can't find it online. Its on page 74 of their 2018 catalog.

I've bought 2 Rifles Inc rifles on gunbroker. Rifles Inc is owned by Lex Webernic in Pleasanton Texas. Lex and Melvin Forbes of New Ultra Light Arms were two of the front runners in lightweights back in the early 80's. Lex uses lightened Remington 700 actions and Melvin makes his own light 700 clones. Melvins Rifles are Great too.

My 300 Weatherby Mag weights 5 lb 4 oz. As you can imagine the a 24" steel barrel is about .5" at the muzzle. The stock with a decelerator weights 16 oz. It is a nice shooting gun. Barnes 168 gr TTSXs leave the muzzle at 3350fps and it shoots around 3/4". At least the first group anyway. With the muzzle brake its easy to shoot and possible without. I am not good enough to call my shots with it though. All up with the the scope and Extreme Bipod it is right at 7 lb 2 oz. Add another 1/2 pound for the sling and Cartridges. I seldom carry the bipod on the rifle. though so the carry weight is under 7lbs. I am very confident with it to around 700 yards and capable much further. I try not to shoot at game over 500 yards or so.....Just another personal flaw I guess! I appreciate the light weight when I trying to get closer!!!

My sons 270 Win shoots 129 gr LRX under 3/4 moa at 3200fps (very mild) and 150 gr nosler ABLR well under 1/2" at 3000 fps. It weighs the same.

An MOA is 1.049" @ 100 yards. Meaning at 1000, it is 10.49".

Most people think MOA is 1" @ 100, and 10" @ 1000. Meaning they are off by 1/2" @ 1000. I doubt most people can hold the difference of .5" @ 1000. And 99.999% don't have a rifle that can shoot better than 1/2" @ 1000.

SFP scopes can definitely incur errors @ 1000 if they are not calibrated exactly, or if you are off max magnification by even .5x and are holding for elevation or windage.

7% @ 1000 yards is.....70 yards.... meaning a 930 to 1070 yard dial. I think even a Tasco has more accurate tracking than that.

I knew that MOA is 1.049" but I just use 1" cause its easy and close enough for me.

Yes the magnification thing is huge if you are not on the right power. Most of my scopes are SFP....I make sure I am maxed out on power (or hold in the center).

Leupolds claim of 7" seems extreme. Maybe some scopes are 7% off and they use that for their marketing?