Knolan

Lightweight Riflescope

So I just bought a Tikka T3x Lite and now looking for a nice scope, around $500 is what I want to spend. I can get a deal for a Leupold VX-3I 4.5-14x40 with a side focus and Leupold's CDS turret for $500 dollars. Any thoughts on this scope or any others? (My Tikka is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and I don't plan on shooting past 500 yards on an animal.)

Well do you want light weight? Then Swarovski Z3 3-9X36 is the way to go, 12OZ's. To shoot past 300/350 I have come to believe you need a bit more. Now this is my experience and I invite others who have done this to chime in. To get out to 400/500 yards with a light rifle I would like something like the Vortex Viper HST 4-16X44 its $570 at optics planet and 21 ozs. For ranges past 350/400 dial up turrets would serve you well. Leupold VX3i 30mm 4.5-14X40 Boone and Crockett reticle at 15ozs gets close to your price range. Shooting past 350/400 with a light rifle becomes a challenge. Thats just my experience, and what that experience leads me to recommend.

• Like 1

It's a good scope for $500 and the very minimum I would put on a rifle I intended to do any kind of hunting with. Anything less will let you down eventually.

• Like 2

I pretty much have the same scope just a VX-3 not the I but in 30MM not the 1" and for the price range and weight I think it is the best choice for price to weight and you aren't going to be shooting 1k. The swaro Z3 and Z5 are also very light but they have a capped turret or that three position thingy. Not a fan. I like to dial the drop in easily. Also in 1" tube I believe with limited MOA adjustment and they are over the 500 budget. Better glass though. Vortex has the 3-15x42 Razor LH but I don't have any experience with them and they are a little more then the VX3. They are 16.5 oz with 55 MOA adjustment. The leupold vx-5 3-15x44 is 19oz and has 75 moa with a two rotation zero stop. I have seen them go for 700. I picked up a Ziess Conquest V6 3-18x50 with a nice turret and 103 moa adjustment at 22 oz. I really like the glass on them but it is a little heavier then a Leupold and more expensive.

Those are all the scopes I researched in looking for a lightweight scope, I am sure somebody else has more information then I do

i will probably be shooting coues/mule deer and elk within 350 yards, anything past 400 i feel like i could get closer unless time, light or terrain prohibit me. iv'e heard shooting long range with a light rifle is a challenge. i just want a durable scope that holds zero/precise 1/4 moa adjustments and has enough power to see pretty well at 500 yards and in (i like a little more magnification than average). i feel 14 power withing 350 yards is plenty, am i mistaken?

I will most likely buy through govx because the discounts i can get. just depends what they have for sale and what im looking for.

The vx-3i 4.5-14 will be plenty to shoot well beyond 350 yds. I've used the same scope out to 800 yds.

14x is plenty to shoot twice your desired distance, especially at big game sized targets.

And 500 yards with a Creedmoor is only going to have somewhere around 7-8MOA up if shooting a 140 Berger @ 2800. If I remember correctly, the VX3i 4.5-14 is a 15 MOA turret, so you will still oy be a half turn. You should still be in the 1st revolution out to 700-750 depending on conditions.

Just got a Athlon put on the wife's gun pretty sweet scope especially for the $$$$

• Like 1

Just got a Athlon put on the wife's gun pretty sweet scope especially for the $$$$

Which model? I was sent a Midas BTR from a supplier to test out. It did not track or return to zero. Not even close.

Sent it in, Athlon sent a new one out. The new one did the same thing.

• Like 1

Which model? I was sent a Midas BTR from a supplier to test out. It did not track or return to zero. Not even close.

Sent it in, Athlon sent a new one out. The new one did the same thing.

Wow! I've read lots of reports that the Midas tracks well. 2 for 2 isn't good

I have leupolds on two of my rifles. One of them is the exact scope youre looking at. Hard to beat at that price. I get 800 yards or so out of one revolution, which is further than ill ever need to shoot an animal. Killed my buck with it at 575 last year without issue

• Like 1

I have leupolds on two of my rifles. One of them is the exact scope youre looking at. Hard to beat at that price. I get 800 yards or so out of one revolution, which is further than ill ever need to shoot an animal. Killed my buck with it at 575 last year without issue

Does your scope hold zero and track well?

Yeah, seems to. Ive taken it out to 800+ on targets with no issues.