Sign in to follow this  

1st Archery coues deer

Here is the story. Anyhow I was watching that blow out of a football game the Packers-Seahawks. Well around 5:00 I decided I will head out and see if I see anything. I decide to head out to an area that has always been good for me T-3. As I turn on to the road heading up to woodcutters I see some deer I stop roll down the window all does. So I keep going and about a mile down the road I see another deer standing there. I roll the window down and it's a buck. So I come up with a plan I decide to drive down the road and go around the corner so he can't see my truck anymore. I get out my truck and he is still there not spooked at all. I grab my bow outof my truck and make my way to a little knob on the hill. I get there and I look and he is still standing there looking at road. I get my range finder out and it is giving me crazy reading because of the tall grass according to the range finder he was 12yds I know he is further than that at least 50plus yds. So now I start crawling on my hands and knees trying to close the distance and the whole time he stands there looking at the road and towards my direction, well I keep crawling and by then I gave up on the range finder every time I tried to range him it would read 10 yds ,15yds. So I stop crawling and I look up and now the deer is walking towards I was like know way. He goes down into a litte ravine so I get an arrow ready but he doesn't come straight up like I thought he would he comes in towards my right and still walking towards me at an angle by then I have my guardian at full draw and I decide he is at 40yds he stops I put the 40yd pin behind his shoulders and I let the arrow fly. I heard the arrow hit him, it was a loud thwump he spins around and starts running I see the arrow sticking out of him about 8 inches or so was hanging out him. Well I took off towards his direction I know a mistake I didn't see him so I calm myself go back to where I shot him and start walking the general route he ran there was no blood at all. I keep walking scanning left and right. I went about 100 yds and I was thinking to myself I need to go get some help, I keep walking and I looked to my right about 15yds I saw horns and my arrow sticking out him. This was probably one of the best moments ever becuase as I stated before this was my 1st archery kill and a nice one at that. The thing of it I missed earlier that morning at a much smaller one. That Guardian was so quiet he didn't jump the string. The rage 3 broad head performed like it was supposed to the entrance hole was a good 4inches wide and it was lodged in his left hind qtr that was the reason for no pass thru.

DSCF2626.jpg

I was hopin you'd find your way over here from at.com. Congrats again on a great buck & welcome to the site.

Matt S.

Bow or rifle that is a sweet buck. I've never even seen a buck that big anywhere close to a road.

Nice one. Kinda makes you forget about your elk hunt I'll bet.

LOL yes it does hows it been going for you? family doing well I hope...

Yes, all is well, hope the same with you. You wern't kidding about the hunt opps on post. Makes me want to reenlist :lol:

Here is the story. Anyhow I was watching that blow out of a football game the Packers-Seahawks. Well around 5:00 I decided I will head out and see if I see anything. I decide to head out to an area that has always been good for me T-3. As I turn on to the road heading up to woodcutters I see some deer I stop roll down the window all does. So I keep going and about a mile down the road I see another deer standing there. I roll the window down and it's a buck. So I come up with a plan I decide to drive down the road and go around the corner so he can't see my truck anymore. I get out my truck and he is still there not spooked at all. I grab my bow outof my truck and make my way to a little knob on the hill. I get there and I look and he is still standing there looking at road. I get my range finder out and it is giving me crazy reading because of the tall grass according to the range finder he was 12yds I know he is further than that at least 50plus yds. So now I start crawling on my hands and knees trying to close the distance and the whole time he stands there looking at the road and towards my direction, well I keep crawling and by then I gave up on the range finder every time I tried to range him it would read 10 yds ,15yds. So I stop crawling and I look up and now the deer is walking towards I was like know way. He goes down into a litte ravine so I get an arrow ready but he doesn't come straight up like I thought he would he comes in towards my right and still walking towards me at an angle by then I have my guardian at full draw and I decide he is at 40yds he stops I put the 40yd pin behind his shoulders and I let the arrow fly. I heard the arrow hit him, it was a loud thwump he spins around and starts running I see the arrow sticking out of him about 8 inches or so was hanging out him. Well I took off towards his direction I know a mistake I didn't see him so I calm myself go back to where I shot him and start walking the general route he ran there was no blood at all. I keep walking scanning left and right. I went about 100 yds and I was thinking to myself I need to go get some help, I keep walking and I looked to my right about 15yds I saw horns and my arrow sticking out him. This was probably one of the best moments ever becuase as I stated before this was my 1st archery kill and a nice one at that. The thing of it I missed earlier that morning at a much smaller one. That Guardian was so quiet he didn't jump the string. The rage 3 broad head performed like it was supposed to the entrance hole was a good 4inches wide and it was lodged in his left hind qtr that was the reason for no pass thru.

DSCF2626.jpg

Man that Deer looks familiar......Oh yeah might be the same one I seen in Sep, by woodcutters pond, hanging out with a spike. I didnt have the patience like you to start crawling, not to mention when he saw me with my bow he bolted. Good Job. Ill make a point to stop by your office today, and no I dont want to re-enlist. :lol:

You werent joking when you said there were a couple of bruisers in Cemetery Canyon, good job, Ill see you at work

MSG Barnett

There is one bigger than this one in T-2 I saw him friday I wasn't hunting then I was just out looking. There is another one out in Unfiorm nothing wide but he is real tall horn wise. I have a buddy hunting out by cemetary canyon and he say there is a real nice 8 pointer or 4x4 western count out there and he is dumber than heck right now chasing does only problem can't really put a stock on him due to all the does hanging around him. Also there is a real bruiser hanging out in Victor it is a no hunting area but he is hanging out right on the boundary of V-1 so if he wanders into V-1 he is fair game as well. I tooka buddy out into Unfiorm and Pappa and T-3 saw nothing but does but it was late mornig so the bucks were probably bedding down for the afternoon. The best time to hunt T-1, T-2 and T-3 are in the evenings. get out there around 1600 and start glassing the hillsides!.