CatfishKev

Backpacking on a budget

Desertbulls post got me thinking about all the gear I need that I don't have (especially for 3 people). Watched a bunch of videos the last 2 days on gear on a budget. One particular video by a YouTube guy called syntex77 (or something close to that). Got me kind of excited for this hunting season!

What do you guys recomend for the best bang for your buck when it comes to packs, bags, pads etc. Tents vs bivys? Inflatable pads vs styroafoam type. What have you bought that was a waste that you regret? Anything you can think of lets hear it!

Hmmm I used to backpack hunt and went very light. Where I hunted had limited H2O so I would pack water in months or weeks ahead as time allowed. When I hunted it was blow up pad like thermarest, quart pot, metal cup, butane stove, light/dry food, freeze dried coffee, sleeping bag and decent thickness clear plastic for rain shelter. Pack was a bare frame and gear went in small duffels. Got very adept at cutting up mule deer and lashing to frame, hams, shoulders and backstop made one load out and camp would take second trip.

I bought a bivy sack long ago and its seen a lot of use, but they dont have much in the way of ventilation, so I dont ever use it in hot weather. High country scouting trips or hike in the night before a hunt, un zip the bag and start up the stove for oatmeal and coffee and Im hunting. They have another down side and thats when its storming hard, if you have a tarp you will be ok.

I like the tipis from Seek Outside, and they make small ones for packing in great distances. Get on thier mailing list and they will have seconds sales. They use a wood stove so you dont have to carry one or the fuel. A good 4 season tent will cost you as much or more and they are heavy with no heat.

Dont skimp on boots or shelter, this includes your rain gear. If you only hunt in hot to warm weather you wont have to spend as much but if you hunt places where it can snow hard and get well below freezing you need to buy the right gear.

The less you spend the tougher you better be...

Backpacking gear, on average, is one of the few things, IMHO, that you get what you pay for...

Do a bit of research and then ask more specific gear questions as there is too much to type.

• Like 1

To save money buy used. Big Agnes makes good tents at reasonable prices. Check out rokslide for good used gear on a budget. The most expensive things will be tents and or sleeping bags/quilts. Honestly your pack and boots will be the most important thing for backpacking

Look at the more "hippie style" backpacking brands. They are good quality and much cheaper than the hunting brands (ie Kuiu, Sitka, Kifaru, etc.) Check out E-bay. You can get used stuff pretty cheap on there.

• Like 1

My first ever backpack trip and first archery hunt was in 2012 if I remember right and I went from zero to 10 miles back in 1 month including bow.

I shared a tent with my partner , used Walmart backpack, Walmart sleep bag, cheap foam pad, 7 year old boots, 9 year old camo, pocket rocket stove, mtn house and tuna fish, pse nova bow, bushnell binos, I'll tell you right now those were some of the best dang days I've ever spent in the woods, it hooked me for life to the backcountry, I spent all the next years slowly upgrading items and still keep that first set up for friends to use, goodwill, army surplus, Walmart, Amazon used, or even make your own stuff. I've built my own pack saddles, fixed bags, sewn clothes, glued boots, there's always a way and we definitely get caught up in the top gear, don't let lust keep you from getting out. Get tough and buy cheap then save and buy the lust later

• Like 5

Save for quality gear. When I first started backpacking, I bought budget friendly heavy items. It wont take long for you to want to shed weight and that equals $$$$. I went from a base weight of 31 lbs to 17 lbs but it wasnt cheap. I use a ULA Circuit Pack. Down bag, Thermarest pad and Big Agnes tent. Your cook kit is a good custom way to shave weight. A simple alcohol burner with a titanium cup will do just fine. The weight savings is worth the price IMO.

Watch shugemery on youtube. Best backpacker on the interweb. Especially with stove tests and reviews.

Yup $ vs weight is what it all comes down to. YT has been great. Already been cruising CL for good used stuff. Think I'm covered on packs and boots for myself. Any recommendations on gear for the kids that's a good value?

How would you describe order of importance? 1. Boots 2. Pack 3. Tent 4. Bag 5. Pad or would you say level across the board?

Thanks for the responses.

Just get out and do it. Start off with short overnighters and you'll figure out what works for ya. Water is a big deal. Plus, riding out a long storm while hunkering down in a bivy is nobody's definition of fun.

• Like 1

Yup $ vs weight is what it all comes down to. YT has been great. Already been cruising CL for good used stuff. Think I'm covered on packs and boots for myself. Any recommendations on gear for the kids that's a good value?

How would you describe order of importance? 1. Boots 2. Pack 3. Tent 4. Bag 5. Pad or would you say level across the board?

Thanks for the responses.

I rate those as even across the board. Good boots, pack and shelter are a must. Good sleeping bags are water resistant and if they do get wet they are still warm, and the zippers dont break. I have had tents fail and your hunt is over. After you spend time in a heated shelter you will never go back to a standard tent. Just picture yourself 7 to 12 miles in and a storm is coming in as you are putting your pack on your back and by the next morning its below zero (wind chill) and 6 + inches of snow on the ground, the storm last for three days and when you come back to camp wet and tired you start a fire in your stove and the shelter heats right up to 70 degrees. You can cook on it and hang your clothes up since they will be wet, then in the morning you are dry and warm in stead of putting frozen clothes back on. Just my 2 cents.