rut

Cell Phones and Providers

What provider has the best cell phone reception in northern Arizona? I currently have Qwest, once I go north on I-17 and get to Anthem I loose service. I have heard Verizon is pretty good. Does the phone brand make any difference? My contract with Qwest is up this month and I will definately be changing both phone and provider.....

Thanks in advance,....Jim Parker

I have had ATT/Cingular for many years and it work very well in most places. I do know that in the Flag/Williams areas where I hunt both Verizon and Alltell work better than mine. I hope this helps. Oh and I do think that the type of phone makes a difference.

I have Verizon and I get pretty good coverage in the southern part of the state. I haven't been all around the northern half much but those times I have I've had coverage.

Mike

When I first got my cell years ago, Alltel was the only provider that had service in Kachina Village south of Flag and at the south rim of the canyon(unit 9). I do not know about who has the best coverage now.

I have been with Verizon for over 10 years and have had pretty good luck with the exception of the border zone (southern az) where my buddy's Alltell seems to work better.

In Northern Az- Verizon seems to work great and they are constantly expanding and updating their network "can you hear me now?"

I did buy the Casio G z One phone which is waterproof - First of it's kind and shock proof, dust resistant etc. So, If you're backpacking or hunting - this phone is more rugged than some of the garbage they sell to consumers.

Read on : http://www.casiogzone.com/

Good Luck,

AzP&Y

Verizon for sure. Alltell is a close second.

My wife has Alltell and I get service in alot of places that she does not. We spend alot of time in the Northern half

of the state and not that much in the southern part.

I have been with Verizon for over 10 years and have had pretty good luck with the exception of the border zone (southern az) where my buddy's Alltell seems to work better.

In Northern Az- Verizon seems to work great and they are constantly expanding and updating their network "can you hear me now?"

I did buy the Casio G z One phone which is waterproof - First of it's kind and shock proof, dust resistant etc. So, If you backpacking or hunting , this phone is more rugged than some of the garbage they sell to consumers.

Read on : http://www.casiogzone.com/

Good Luck,

AzP&Y

T he camera on those phones is pretty good isn't it?

Jim as you know I have cingular with the new razor2 phone and its pretty good except for where we hunt up north and down south. Other then those two areas I have never had problems. Dad and Jim S. both have Verizon and they get service right at camp down south and in most areas up north. If they bought a higher quality phone they would get even better service. The phone we just got for Coach is with Verizon for these very reasons. If it wasn't for the fact that my work pays for mine I would switch to Verizon with out hesitation.

See ya soon.

Phil

T he camera on those phones is pretty good isn't it?

Ac- It is a really good camera (for a camera phone).

It has 3x (times) digital zoom.

Video recording capabilites and a self timer to take a pic of that trophy coues if you are hunting solo ;)

The nice feature on the phone is that it has an LED light, which could be used as a small flashlight or emergency light if your primary breaks.

I've dropped it a bunch and it keeps coming back to life. It is probably one of the most important pieces of equipment in your pack if an emergency did arise and you could get a signal.

It also had GPS capabilites.

AzP&Y

Be careful asking your provider for 'the toughest phone with the best reception,' I got a GPS activated Sprint flip phone that has way worse reception out in the sticks than my old ugly brick phone. When you say 'reception,' mean 'antenna reception,' not 'voice clarity,' as I found out with mine.

T

i live in the prescott area, have verizon, and raley have any problems with reception. my phone sucks bad. it always dies for no particular reason. but i get service just about any where in northern az. and usualy if i dont have service i can get some where high and get service.

I have the Palm Treo through Verizon. I like it because i use it for running my company and because it has the slot for the sd cards that are in my trail cams so i can veiw through my phone. I have liked Verizon the best out of all so far. I had nextell for a long time and liked it also. But my choice today would be Verizon.

Sounds like Verizon is the way to go, now challange of trying to figure out what phone to get.....

Thanks for all the good info.....

Jim Parker

Get the treo or Q9.

I like my Treo better than my Q9 cause it seems easier to use and I can use my sd card out out my trail cams in it like couesaz said. My Q9 has a mini sd card and I do not think it will work with the trail cams.

Also that phone AZP&Y has sounds good as well.

I have a magnetic antenna for both of my trucks

and just got another one to keep in my pack or Quad

Pick them up at radio shack for about $40.00

They make a big diff.

Mike