Coach

Neat character buck

I was fortunate enough to draw a December tag this year, but it was for a unit I had never hunted. As luck would have it, a friend of my dad’s was going to be hunting in there with his in-laws and invited us to join them. My first trip into the area was opening weekend and I saw a lot of bucks chasing does, but they were all forkies and spikes. Both hunters in the party I was camped with tagged out on nice bucks (I’ll see if I can get permission to post their pictures), but the best one I found was a large 2x2 and I was holding out for something a little bigger.

After Christmas, I returned hoping the big bucks had moved back in to take over the rutting. Unfortunately, there was far less activity than I had seen the previous trip, and again all the bucks I was finding were small. The big 2x2 was still trying to tempt me but again I decided to hold out. The next morning, my dad and I decided we needed to change tactics since we kept seeing the same small deer each outing in my primary area. We ended up hiking out of camp and glassing some country we had hunted briefly before Christmas. After about 20 minutes of glassing from our first set-up we found 6 does hanging with a small forkie about a mile away. By this time, I was wondering if there were any mature bucks in the area – how could this little scrub have a such a harem? I decided to give the area behind us one more pass while I came up with a plan for the afternoon. I immediately picked up some pigs with piglets and decided to try to get some photos of them through my spotting scope for my wife (she loves baby anything). While snapping pix of the pigs, I noticed some deer had shown up also while we were busy studying the forkie way off in the distance. It turned out to be doe with a fawn so I started snapping pix of them as well. Then out of nowhere, just above the doe and fawn a third deer appears that is clearly a buck. At this point, I was just hoping for any decent 3x3 or better and a quick look through the swaros confirmed that he fit the bill. I ranged him at 356 yards and set up for the shot. He stood quartering away from me like a statue for long enough to take a nice relaxed shot. At the recoil I lost sight of him through my rifle scope, but I saw him running down hill for just a second and then he was gone. Dad confirmed it was a good hit as he had watched the whole thing though his spotting scope. We got to where we had last seen him and sure enough he was piled up under a tree. The shot had hit perfectly just behind the ribs on the left side and exited just behind the front leg on the right. I’m still amazed he didn’t drop in his tracks – man they are tough little suckers. He ended up being a nice 3x4 with a double eye-guard on one side. He’s not a monster but definitely the biggest buck I saw on this hunt.

I want to thank Bill L. for turning us on to this area, and Brandon and Ladd and their crew for sharing their spot with a couple of strangers. I also want to thank my dad, Dennis for all his help.

post-478-1199128254_thumb.jpg

post-478-1199128276_thumb.jpg

post-478-1199128301_thumb.jpg

post-478-1199128314_thumb.jpg

And some pix of the doe and fawn and the piglets...

post-478-1199128340.jpg

post-478-1199128330.jpg

post-478-1199128414_thumb.jpg

great buck, congrats

That is a great buck. If his right side matched his left, you'd have a Booner for sure. I would be thrilled with that buck.

Good Deal there! He's a keeper! Congratulations and thank you for posting the pics

Way to go, Jason! Looks like you replaced that 300 Weatherby with another shooter!! What is your new set-up? Congrats, and good luck in 2008! :D

CnS

Way to go, Jason! Looks like you replaced that 300 Weatherby with another shooter!! What is your new set-up? Congrats, and good luck in 2008! :D

CnS

Thanks Gino! The new set up is a Savage 14 Classic in .300 WSM. It was part of a limited production run with dark oil finished wood and matte barrel/action. So far I really like it - a little heavier that what I'm used to :)

Still have that howa unifred in the box - I've been looking for an aftermarket youth stock for it.

Good Hunting,

Jason