Redbeard

Good tag, good hunt, good buck, good friends.

Beautiful Coues buck Doug!!! It does look cold. I'm glad to see you put the smack down a big ole bruiser buck, he's a dandy!! For as long as I've hunted Coues deer I'm not a great estimator on score but he's certainly one to pull the trigger on, and maybe one to go in the books.

Great buck and memories, no matter what the score. !

Believe me I didn't shoot him for his score. I did not even try to take his rack apart while watching to come up with a score. I just was going by my impression of him. I just knew he was good enough and ought to make 100". Besides it was just time.

Gorgeous buck and great story! I agree with most of the other guesses, I would put him just under 109". He's got exceptional beams and width and extra length on all his tines which I think puts him about 9 inches over the 100" mark! Fantastic buck, congrats! JIM>

Congrats on a great buck. I recieved an email from a friend of mine with the score of this buck. If you are right on the score; the pics don't do it justice at all. It looks like its 107-109 to me. Again Congrats.

Great write up on what sounds like a great hunt. He is a beautiful deer and regardless of the score a true trophy. I am going to guess 113" though. Congrats.

Phil

I've been gone all day today and headed out tomorrow to set up camp for some javelina and "carp" bowhunting to start the new year but I'll put a more careful tape on him before I go and let you know the numbers.

I just want to see how close I was on measurements when you do post them

MB: 18

G1: 3 1/2

G2: 6 1/2

G3: 5

Total Mass: 12

That comes up to 45 per side then X2 and that is 90 and I am saying he is around 14 to 16 wides so the total I am coming up with is 104 to 106.

Congrats again and I can't wait for the measurements

Well, I put a careful cable and tape on my buck and it came out to 117 2/8 gross and 114 5/8 net. It keeps getting bigger! :blink: We'll see how it holds up in 60 days but I think it will be within an inch of that. I can't believe it is that big but that's what I get and I kinda know what I'm doing since I've been an official measurer for over 10 years now. I just don't see it even when I'm holding the rack but 19 2/8 beams and a 15 7/8 inside spread make a big frame that just throws off my normal perspective. Each antler measures over 50" and if I look at them as single antlers I definitely see that but then again I've seen a lot more 50"+ sheds than 117" racks so that makes sense. Anyhow I'm shocked at how badly I misjudged this buck in the field. Makes me think about the big bucks I thought were 115 + in the past. They must have been 130's!

Now I'm headed out for a few days to the desert with the family to go whack a pig, carp deer, quail, ducks, ..... I can hardly wait to get back to boil out the skull though.