Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Florida and Governor Rick Scott

I'd bet you and I would agree on just about everythingm but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. I've always thought 18 was too young for kids to buy guns without some type of parental co-signing. And while it's politically impossible, I'm only concerned about the males between 18 and 21 - the girls are far more mature.

I'm not opposed to raising the minimum wage from 18 to 21, and I'm not opposed to enforcing background checks for P2P sales. This coming from someone with enough guns and ammo to be called an "arsenal" if someone ever raided my "compound" - I have a separate office from the house and some sheds. Threw that in there so you know I get the rhetoric and stupid, uninformed labeling that usually accompanies these discussions.

I'm very pro-gun, but these are tough times. The smart move is those who proactively went right to the 21 legislation. It's proactive, it's very logical - if you look at FBI crime stats is almost all 18-21 year old males causing all the havoc, and done right it doesn't have to infringe.

Say you have an 18 year old daughter going off to college. Think of a program like the CCL program where she gets proper firearms training and has mom & dad's blessing to carry for protection, so she has an exemption from the 21 rule. The idea is not just every 18 year old dumb-butt boy who can't see past 10 seconds down the road (we all know them) and has limited understanding of consequences (most of them) are able to get their hands on a gun without their parents' approval.

I could cite lots of other stuff but we all have short attention spans, so that's plenty for now.

Never say you're pro gun again. You don't believe adults should be able to protect themselves. You're pro gun control. Huge difference

You have your opinion, I have mine. I've studied this issue, have been in lots of debates. You want to put out the one-side-or-the-other argument, that's fine. You said "I don't believe adults should be able to protect themselves". That's a lie. You know it and so do I. Re-read what I said, I want guns in the hands of every responsible adult who should have them.

I don't want over-testosterone-idiots in the prime of their criminal potential having access to take their natural stupidity to the next level.

If you really want to take this 100% one way, you had better be prepared to defend putting guns in the hands of felons, addicts, mentally unfit, deranged a-holes with histories of violence. If you want to keep guns out of those people's hands, you are pro gun control, per your argument, right?

You want to take the guns out of the hands of 18-21 year olds. Are 18-21 year old not adults? They're fighting for your life and voting on your president but you don't want them to be able to protect themselves. You said that, I didnt.

• Like 3

I'd bet you and I would agree on just about everythingm but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. I've always thought 18 was too young for kids to buy guns without some type of parental co-signing. And while it's politically impossible, I'm only concerned about the males between 18 and 21 - the girls are far more mature.

I'm not opposed to raising the minimum wage from 18 to 21, and I'm not opposed to enforcing background checks for P2P sales. This coming from someone with enough guns and ammo to be called an "arsenal" if someone ever raided my "compound" - I have a separate office from the house and some sheds. Threw that in there so you know I get the rhetoric and stupid, uninformed labeling that usually accompanies these discussions.

I'm very pro-gun, but these are tough times. The smart move is those who proactively went right to the 21 legislation. It's proactive, it's very logical - if you look at FBI crime stats is almost all 18-21 year old males causing all the havoc, and done right it doesn't have to infringe.

Say you have an 18 year old daughter going off to college. Think of a program like the CCL program where she gets proper firearms training and has mom & dad's blessing to carry for protection, so she has an exemption from the 21 rule. The idea is not just every 18 year old dumb-butt boy who can't see past 10 seconds down the road (we all know them) and has limited understanding of consequences (most of them) are able to get their hands on a gun without their parents' approval.

I could cite lots of other stuff but we all have short attention spans, so that's plenty for now.

Never say you're pro gun again. You don't believe adults should be able to protect themselves. You're pro gun control. Huge difference

You have your opinion, I have mine. I've studied this issue, have been in lots of debates. You want to put out the one-side-or-the-other argument, that's fine. You said "I don't believe adults should be able to protect themselves". That's a lie. You know it and so do I. Re-read what I said, I want guns in the hands of every responsible adult who should have them.

I don't want over-testosterone-idiots in the prime of their criminal potential having access to take their natural stupidity to the next level.

If you really want to take this 100% one way, you had better be prepared to defend putting guns in the hands of felons, addicts, mentally unfit, deranged a-holes with histories of violence. If you want to keep guns out of those people's hands, you are pro gun control, per your argument, right?

coach, Ive met you, your a level headed guy. Ive read on here over the years about how youve raised your boys and it sounds like youve done a good job! You and I and many others bought and carried guns before the age of 21 and I bet you raised your boys well enough to carry and buy a rifle at age 18 (or before) the problem is not being able to legally buy a rifle at 18, the problem is how these bad apples were raised and how they view society. 9.9 out of 10 are good kids. The small percentage should not prevent the rest from being able to buy a rifle.
  • Like 2

This is so dumb and our country is turning to sh.it. I cannot believe people would give up their rights because of a few idiots. Maybe we should ban alcohol because it is a major cause of a lot of problems. I don't drink anymore so who cares right?

• Like 1

Man,I was in the Army one month after my 17th birthday.

Plus, if a kid does something illegal with a firearm, somebody else will be held responsible. This can really snowball, for example, next they will say parents are legally liable to prevent un-supervised access.

• Like 1

Apply these facts about the human brain to whatever you would like. Driving age, drinking age, voting age, military age etc..

At what age is the brain fully developed?

Although brain development is subject to significant individual variation, most experts suggest that the brain is fully developed by age 25. For some people, brain development may be complete prior to age 25, while for others it may end after age 25. The mid-20s or 25 is just an average age given as checkpoint for when the brain has likely become mature.

It may seem logical that those aged 18 to 25 are completely mature, the brain still is maturing specifically the area known as the prefrontal cortex. Changes occurring between ages 18 and 25 are essentially a continued process of brain development that started during puberty. When youre 18, youre roughly halfway through the entire stage of development. The prefrontal cortex doesnt have nearly the functional capacity at age 18 as it does at 25.

This means that some people may have major struggles with impulsive decisions and planning behavior to reach a goal. The brains reward system tends to reach a high level of activation during puberty, then gradually drifts back to normal activation when a person reaches roughly the age of 25. Adults over the age of 25 tend to feel less sensitive to the influence of peer pressure and have a much easier time handling it.

I love my guns but some common sense flaws are wrong with the system for sure. Makes absolutely ZERO sense to require background check in a store but a driver's license in a parking lot. I really could care less how many of you cuss me out for this 1 I'm with Coach on this. And just because you would not be allowed to buy a ridle till your 21 that would not mean that your parents cannot buy it and you can't use it.. Shoot dang adult children are living at home at 25-30 years old more and more now that is spooky. They are insured till what 25 years old now???

As a responsible adult gun owner I have absolutely zero problem if we had title transfer places just like third party DMVs where we walk in and do paperwork for 15 or 20 bucks. Felons are buying guns in parking lots every single day in Phoenix Arizona. Feel free to hate me and cuss me out I will be sure to not look back at this post. 👍

• Like 2

Man,I was in the Army one month after my 17th birthday.

Plus, if a kid does something illegal with a firearm, somebody else will be held responsible. This can really snowball, for example, next they will say parents are legally liable to prevent un-supervised access.

Exactly. I had my mom sign for me because I was too young when I joined (17). Guess the testosterone argument doesn't apply unless they are changing the military requirement to 21 huh?

Apply these facts about the human brain to whatever you would like. Driving age, drinking age, voting age, military age etc..

Although brain development is subject to significant individual variation, most experts suggest that the brain is fully developed by age 25. For some people, brain development may be complete prior to age 25, while for others it may end after age 25. The mid-20s or 25 is just an average age given as checkpoint for when the brain has likely become mature.

It may seem logical that those aged 18 to 25 are completely mature, the brain still is maturing specifically the area known as the prefrontal cortex. Changes occurring between ages 18 and 25 are essentially a continued process of brain development that started during puberty. When youre 18, youre roughly halfway through the entire stage of development. The prefrontal cortex doesnt have nearly the functional capacity at age 18 as it does at 25.

This means that some people may have major struggles with impulsive decisions and planning behavior to reach a goal. The brains reward system tends to reach a high level of activation during puberty, then gradually drifts back to normal activation when a person reaches roughly the age of 25. Adults over the age of 25 tend to feel less sensitive to the influence of peer pressure and have a much easier time handling it.

I love my guns but some common sense flaws are wrong with the system for sure. Makes absolutely ZERO sense to require background check in a store but a driver's license in a parking lot. I really could care less how many of you cuss me out for this 1 I'm with Coach on this. And just because you would not be allowed to buy a ridle till your 21 that would not mean that your parents cannot buy it and you can't use it.. Shoot dang adult children are living at home at 25-30 years old more and more now that is spooky. They are insured till what 25 years old now???

As a responsible adult gun owner I have absolutely zero problem if we had title transfer places just like third party DMVs where we walk in and do paperwork for 15 or 20 bucks. Felons are buying guns in parking lots every single day in Phoenix Arizona. Feel free to hate me and cuss me out I will be sure to not look back at this post. 👍

but again, is this an 18-21-25 year old problem or is it a society/parent problem?
  • Like 1

I shouldn't be so surprised of all the Fudds on here willing to sellout.

How are me and Trphyhntr the only ones seeing all this as bullcrap?!?!

Quit capitulating and stand with some backbone and realize our rights are on the line.

Don't lump us all into the same category. I am 100% against the law. It could start a trend among other states.

If an 18 year old can vote, as well as fight and die for this country, they deserve the right to purchase firearms.

These sellout politicians always enact

"feel good" laws to appease the sheep.

• Like 2

Wow.

I don't think less than 21 year olds shouldn't be able to own and carry but making sure they are fit to do so is fine with me.

Should we also lower the drinking age to 18 as well?

The drinking age was 19 back in my day. If someone really wants guns or liquor, age will not stop them from getting either.

Great conversation here. The question is when do we decide that a person is ready to be responsible to have a gun! I dont know if there is a real age limit for that. There are those who are and there are those who will never be. Like others have said its how your raised and what you are taught. And if you think that changing the age limit will stop someone from getting a gun, its just silly.