fatfootdoc

Dilemma, how would you deal with this??

Sometimes it takes a serious hunter's willingness to mentor a rookie - to see the futility and waste of time, money and effort by doing the wrong things [aka noise, smells, sounds...] If you and this guy are REALLY friends, then you should be able to have a conversation about YOUR approach to hunting and how you INVEST effort, research and money to ensure you have a shot at a positive outcome.

as the conversation goes along he may recognize that the hunt doesnt mean that much to him - and gracefully accept the fact that you're on different levels at this time. He may very well need to "get out in the woods with firearms and license" a few dozen times before he realizes there's a LOT more to hunting than that - IF you want to see/harvest decent critters.

As to the kids - that's whole nuther gig. That's a bold frontier I call "unselfish land", where we have to put aside our killer instinct and strap on some serious patience... I know my boy is not ready for 12-14 hrs in a tree stand... so hunting opportunities have to be crafted especially for them - with a lower expectation of how far they can hike or how long they can sit. If his boy is packing an empty mag upstairs - than you'd have to either go into ULTRA unselfish mode and keep him close at all times - or DEFINITELY chose to not hunt together. I thought my boy was disciplined 'nuff to handle a firearm - I learned I was wrong when he ventilated my buddy's truck with a .22. Thank the Lord - LITERALLY - that was a much damage as occurred.

My advice is straight talk - not deception. If you BS him with separate tags or secretly select a different unit - even if it doesnt become obvious or the source of a confrontation - I bet you'll notice things get weird betweenst ya because he'll likely catch on... unless he's truly a moron - in which case hunting and firearm handling arent sports you want to engage morons.

my .02

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

PS I HUNTED UNSUCCESSFULLY MANY MANY YEARS UNTIL BOWSNIPER MARK MENTORED ME