Sign in to follow this  
JakeUSMC

2019 OTC ELK

I spoke with a few outfitters and Flat Tops Wilderness Guides told me the best bet would be 3rd rifle season. OTC Elk tags and 70-80% draw odds on a muley tag, making it a combo hunt.

If youre going to go with an outfitter in CO I would recommend you consider taking the same money and buying landowner tags in NM. Youll have an infinitely higher chance of killing a big bull (any chance is higher then a 0% chance in CO in the flat tops) and you can do things the way you want. Another option if youre leaning towards spending the money on an outfitter is looking into Timberline outfitters from the site here and doing an OTC hunt in AZ. You will have a better chance at a cow or small bull then you will in Colorado and it will be cheaper and closer.

If youre going to go with an outfitter in CO I would recommend you consider taking the same money and buying landowner tags in NM. Youll have an infinitely higher chance of killing a big bull (any chance is higher then a 0% chance in CO in the flat tops) and you can do things the way you want. Another option if youre leaning towards spending the money on an outfitter is looking into Timberline outfitters from the site here and doing an OTC hunt in AZ. You will have a better chance at a cow or small bull then you will in Colorado and it will be cheaper and closer.

All though Timberline is very successful on the OTC hunts, I would say that is far from the experience OP expressed interest in.

NM landowner tags are intriguing, but with new hunters I kind like of like the thought of having someone else helping dad and the brother.

I am trying to be the most cost effective as I can. My goal is to get my pops and brothers out in the elk woods and have a good time.

I hadnt looked at co regs in a long time.

they changed alot since the mid 90's(there regs are a ton easier to understand now as well glad they cleaned that part up.

back when we did it we got deer and elk and fishing/small game for right around 300 bucks for OTC in 3 different seasons 1st 2nd or 3rd

now its 661 for just non res elk and fishing for non res youth is 100. but they do have either sex in archery in most of the state, from what I read.

no more deer OTC unless its whitetails in certain units most are private property like there OTC lope tags they offer.

if your into archery though it might not be a bad deal as the either sex option has a ton of areas and the way I read it(someone will have to confirm) you could hunt ALL those units with the OTC either sex tag.

Rifle bull OTC seems to have the same units as back when, higher price and also I think you can hunt all the units that are open with the same tag. I thought before your otc tag was for specific areas and units only maybe I was mistaken.

A land owner tag from NM maybe be cheaper but I doubt it. you may want to try land owner tags in WY and possible Montana. Idaho looks like a better option if you dont want a land owner tag.

Its not a bad deal of a kid 17 years old. 100 bucks.

• Like 1