Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

22-250AI Build

Any idea on your CBTO for that 80gr?

Mine was a Savage model 11 vt, a heavy barrel model only available from Dick's sporting goods. I had just bought it for a cheap coyote killer and hadn't intended to build on it but when I sighted it in I discovered it had a bent barrel. Ratter than dealing with Savage I decided I should just fix it up the way I wanted it anyway.
I ordered a m40 Bell & Carlson, and a Douglas air gauge 26" 1/7 twist rem varmint contour barrel. Rather than deal with the feeding issues mentioned above I ordered several Savage magazines intended for a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor and 22-250 Ai have identical case taper and just a few degrees difference in shoulder angle. Just switched magazines when going from fire forming loads to AI loads and never had any issues.
Don't remember how the rifle was throated but I know a 53gr V-Max could still be seated into the lands for fire forming. The pic I've attached is a 80 gr Berger VLD seated .005 off the lands next to a 55 gr Hornady factory 22-250 load.attachicon.gifIMG_20160921_165541017.jpg

Any idea on your CBTO for that 80gr?

Mine was a Savage model 11 vt, a heavy barrel model only available from Dick's sporting goods. I had just bought it for a cheap coyote killer and hadn't intended to build on it but when I sighted it in I discovered it had a bent barrel. Ratter than dealing with Savage I decided I should just fix it up the way I wanted it anyway.

I ordered a m40 Bell & Carlson, and a Douglas air gauge 26" 1/7 twist rem varmint contour barrel. Rather than deal with the feeding issues mentioned above I ordered several Savage magazines intended for a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor and 22-250 Ai have identical case taper and just a few degrees difference in shoulder angle. Just switched magazines when going from fire forming loads to AI loads and never had any issues.

Don't remember how the rifle was throated but I know a 53gr V-Max could still be seated into the lands for fire forming. The pic I've attached is a 80 gr Berger VLD seated .005 off the lands next to a 55 gr Hornady factory 22-250 load.attachicon.gifIMG_20160921_165541017.jpg

I'm not 100% but I want to say 2.090

Mine was a faux Remington 700 Ti. 22" 1-8" Pac-Nor, mountain rifle contour dupe. It was a backpack rifle.

I throated it for 80 Berger's to kiss. I was running 80 Berger's at 3,250 from the 22"...

Best powders were in the RL-19 or so burn range..

Killed coyotes forming brass, killed all with formed...

Killed my best coues buck at about 500 yards with said load. Dead on feet.

Great cartridge, fun to shoot, great bullet choices...

• Like 1

Mine was a faux Remington 700 Ti. 22" 1-8" Pac-Nor, mountain rifle contour dupe. It was a backpack rifle.

I throated it for 80 Berger's to kiss. I was running 80 Berger's at 3,250 from the 22"...

How deep were those Bergers seated into the case?

The one print I've seen showed a throat (W measurement on the print) of 2.1067- that was measured from the rear of the case as the 'datum'?

If you want to specify a longer throat how is that accomplished? (Curiosity is getting the best of me). Is the smith taking a dummy round for measurements and then reamer the chamber and then ream a longer throat?

I always give the Smith a dummy round taking into account magazine constraints and a bit of flexibility to shoot other bullets if the want or need arises...

I'd have to go look at old notes but a factory 700 action/mag is perfect for the .22-250 Ackley....

• Like 1

I always give the Smith a dummy round taking into account magazine constraints and a bit of flexibility to shoot other bullets if the want or need arises...

I'd have to go look at old notes but a factory 700 action/mag is perfect for the .22-250 Ackley....

If you find anything it would be great to see how you went about your build.

If my math is any good there shouldn't be an issue getting the heavier bullets to mag length if they are seated down to neck/shoulder or slightly further in.

The one print I've seen showed a throat (W measurement on the print) of 2.1067- that was measured from the rear of the case as the 'datum'?

If you want to specify a longer throat how is that accomplished? (Curiosity is getting the best of me). Is the smith taking a dummy round for measurements and then reamer the chamber and then ream a longer throat?

I always buy the reamer myself and send a dummy round in with my order for the reamer. I also discuss what I want to accomplish with the cartridge with my reamer designer. When you receive your reamer check it out against the blueprint. If everything meets your specs, you give the reamer to your gunsmith. The one time I let my gunsmith order the reamer something got lost in the translation. Whoever does your reamer will also supply you with print. If they don't ask for one.
  • Like 1

They make separate reaters that pilot off the bore and will increase the throat depth after a standard chamber reamer has been used.
  • Like 1

So she is almost done!! 75gr Amax, 80gr ELDM and 90gr Sierras are on hand.

To make this a true replica I need to get the bolt jeweled. Anyone have a recommendation where I can send it off to?

Oh man I forgot about this rifle. You need to start shooting asap and see how she does! Thats a sweet rig

• Like 1

To make this a true replica I need to get the bolt jeweled. Anyone have a recommendation where I can send it off to?

Jon Trammel in Breckenridge,Texas does it all. Excellent accuracy smith, phone:254-559-3455. When you fireform seat the bullets well into the lands and work with the bottom load in your reloading book for a standard 22/250. Do two fireforms before working on full loads. I found best accuracy in mine seated into lands at .010". Again I was shooting single shot.
  • Like 1

Oh man I forgot about this rifle. You need to start shooting asap and see how she does! Thats a sweet rig

I'm picking her up this weekend! Then sending the bolt off for jeweling-- so it'll be another few weeks before I can spend some serious time at the range! Long awaited though!

• Like 1

Jon Trammel in Breckenridge,Texas does it all. Excellent accuracy smith, phone:254-559-3455. When you fireform seat the bullets well into the lands and work with the bottom load in your reloading book for a standard 22/250. Do two fireforms before working on full loads. I found best accuracy in mine seated into lands at .010". Again I was shooting single shot.

I will keep him in mind for the future-- bolt will be headed off to Kampfeld for the jeweling. Picking up some Lapua brass this weekend as well to start loading the fireforming rounds.

• Like 1