Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Thinking of moving

Guest akaspecials

Where: Boise, N.E. of Idaho Falls, or Bozeman.

Why: Access to world class ski resorts without crowds, hunting, fishing, and public lands. The outskirts of any of those allow to you live a more rural lifestyle but still have city amenities within 30 minutes. All those cities also have airports that fly to half decent places.

Sidebar: Look at where you travel to most and make sure there are flights that get you where you need to go without making a million connections.

Boise has the airport, but isnt exactly rural. Idaho Falls airport is pretty limited. You are going to SLC or DEN first before catching a Connecticut g floor get anywhere else.

NE of Idaho falls would be Ririe? Thats definitely rural, but its considerably colder than Boise. About as cold as you will get in the lower 48.

If I could live absolutely anywhere, it would be the Madison River Valley in Montana. But there isnt a decent airport within 100 miles. If you are interested in MT, Helena and Great Falls are both beautiful and chock full of outdoor recreation. Both have airports similar to Idaho Falls, and ne There is full of the CA hippies that Bozeman and Missoula have become overrun with.

• Like 1

I lived in Idaho Falls as a boy. Great small city and fantastic area for the outdoors enthusiast. Typing this is making me think I need to plan another trip up to the South Fork of the Snake to get after those browns.

• Like 2

Payson is great..

Payson sucks. You would hate it.

I suppose it is easy to have that perspective when you are on the wrong end of everyone's toilet.

• Like 1

Boise area would be a good choice you can live in a suburb outside of town or even a rural area & still be close to what you need (airport, hospital etc.)

Wyoming would good also the whole states population is less than the city of phoenix.

My youngest graduates in 3 years. I hate the valley. We were thinking about Show Low area, but I'm open to other places. We have kicked around Idaho, Montana, and maybe even Texas. Work isn't an issue as I work from home 1/2 of the time and travel North America the rest. The only hitch is being somewhat close to an airport.

My question is, if you could move anywhere in the US, where would you go, and why?

take your youngest to Blue Ridge in Pinetop.

My youngest graduates in 3 years. I hate the valley. We were thinking about Show Low area, but I'm open to other places. We have kicked around Idaho, Montana, and maybe even Texas. Work isn't an issue as I work from home 1/2 of the time and travel North America the rest. The only hitch is being somewhat close to an airport.

My question is, if you could move anywhere in the US, where would you go, and why?

take your youngest to Blue Ridge in Pinetop.

And do what? Watch the wind blow shoot around haha

• Like 1

Boise has the airport, but isnt exactly rural. Idaho Falls airport is pretty limited. You are going to SLC or DEN first before catching a Connecticut g floor get anywhere else.

NE of Idaho falls would be Ririe? Thats definitely rural, but its considerably colder than Boise. About as cold as you will get in the lower 48.

If I could live absolutely anywhere, it would be the Madison River Valley in Montana. But there isnt a decent airport within 100 miles. If you are interested in MT, Helena and Great Falls are both beautiful and chock full of outdoor recreation. Both have airports similar to Idaho Falls, and ne There is full of the CA hippies that Bozeman and Missoula have become overrun with.

Love the Madison Valley. Ennis is a cool little town about an hour or so from the airport.

• Like 1

Well the poser posted and then left. He got 2 so far pages of opinions but no feed back from him. Why doesnt he like the big hot full of assholes city? What does he/wife like?

My wife and I bought a fixer upper south of Prescott last fall. Were still in the valley for another year or so but spend as many weekends as we can up there and absolutely love it. We are walking distance to the national forest and 15-20 minute drive from down town and any shopping that the boss wants. We have over a hundred trees on our little one acre piece of heaven and see deer every single day that we are there. They walk down the streets and through everybodys yards in the neighborhood. Its awesome and we cant wait to be there full time. Only 90 minutes from sky harbor. If you want to come look around some weekend let me know. Im strapped with with work for the next couple weeks but thinking about getting back up there keeps me going

• Like 3

All I have to say is that the grass is not any greener on the other side. I have found Arizona to be an underappreciated state. I guarantee you will miss it if you leave. I have done it two time (TX & NM) and have wanted to get back to AZ as fast as I could once I left. You will miss being able to be in just about any geographic climate in 3 hours or less, great weather, all our public land (Yes, NM has tons of private and it is a PIA and the only thing TX has going for it are beautiful women), the ability to hunt a variety of species and all the hunting opportunities available. I can't emphasize enough how weather can make a difference in your quality of life. There is a reason why all those people escaped cold weather places and moved to the sun belt states.

Knowing what I know now, I would stay in state. I would like to move from the metro area but pay outside of the valley is much less so I'm stuck here. Payson, Camp Verde, Prescott would be on my list of places to move to.

About 10-12 years ago the wife and I kicked around the idea of moving out of state one last time. We would have chose Grand Junction Colorado. We came back to our senses and stayed here.

good luck on whatever you decide.

• Like 3

I have had my eye on Rigby, ID for the last 2.5 years, but I have been a commercial/industrial electrician for the last 13 years and there's a ton of work here in the valley. I have not been able to work out the logistics of how I could make it happen. I would love to live somewhere more spread out, less traffic, a nice little chunk of land, and not so crowded. Also, tons of great outdoor opportunities up there.