Sign in to follow this  
vitalzone

Roast suckling pig

I helped on one, we brined in a cooler for 24 hours then wrapped in banana leaves, wet burlap, and foil then put in a pit for 18 hours.

I know there's a roasting box they sell that does really well, kachina may be the name? Remi warren just posted be used one check him out. I would try a rotisserie over a drip pan with offset fire around the pan. Put another couple pork roasts in the drip pan and cook for 10 hours or until it's coming off the bone.

• Like 1

I did a whole pig on a rotisserie. It was around 70lbs and we cooked it over charcoal & mesquite for about 6 hours.

Butchered it, put in a plastic bag with marinade, in a big ice chest and kept it iced for 24 hours. Kept rotating the pig so that the marinade worked on the whole critter.

The next day around 10, put it on the spot, started the fire and kept basting and feeding the fire. It was down about 5pm

Looked at the idea of cooking in ground but digging a pit the caliche in my yard was not appealing. There are plenty of how to videos on YouTube and also just googleing.

Everyone has their opinion how it should be done and what's correct. I had never done something this big so weighed what I read and did what worked for me.

The trick is finding a pig

Havent done a pig but I just got back from a job in Chile after it was over we had a barbecue and we did a hole lamb over coles. Took about 4 hours with the old school hand crank and a long chunk of hard wood. The only thing they use for seasoning is salt and lots of it. It was delicious and Id love to do it here for the family!

• Like 1

The meat shop in south phoenix does whole pigs. A customer of mine said there is another shop in the same area that does whole pigs too. He used to do them alot for tailgate parties.

• Like 1