billrquimby

Possession of lead ammo prohibited in condor range

California expands lead banned area,

prohibits possession of lead ammo

Despite the strong opposition of SCI and other sporting groups, the California Fish and Game Commission expanded a statutory ban on the use of lead ammunition in condor "range" in central and southern California (about a 1/3 to 1/4 of the State).

Lead ammunition is now prohibited in condor range for all big game (e.g., deer, elk, bear, wild pig) and non-game birds and mammals (e.g., crow, coyote, ground squirrels).

While the legislative ban recently passed by the California Legislature and signed by Governor Schwarzenegger did not include non-game bird and mammals (other than coyote) and did not cover rimfire firearms, the regulatory ban covers all of these.

Most troubling, the regulatory ban covers .22 caliber rimfire rifles, used mainly for small game. Currently, no nonlead ammunition exists for this firearm.

In addition, the State's environmental review concluded that nongame bird and mammal carcasses do not represent a significant threat to the condor.

The regulatory ban tracks the statutory ban's definition of condor "range" to include large areas of historic range where no condors currently exist.

Consistent with SCI's comments, the Commission did define nonlead ammunition as allowing up to 1% lead, as currently available nonlead ammunition contains trace amounts of lead.

Under the statute, the Commission must establish procedures to certify nonlead ammunition and a coupon reimbursement program if private funds can be found.

Finally, the Commission established that mere possession of uncertified (i.e., leaded) ammunition and a firearm capable of discharging it in condor "range" is a violation of the law punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

The lead ammunition ban goes into effect on July 1, 2008.

Sounds like a backhanded attempt to end hunting and gun use.

Basically, California has now banned the time honored American tradition of small game hunting in 1/4 of their state.

Sounds like a backhanded attempt to end hunting and gun use.

Basically, California has now banned the time honored American tradition of small game hunting in 1/4 of their state.

Even though I have posted here in support of using non-lead bullets on big game in condor feeding areas, I have to agree with Desert Bull that this appears to be a back door way of banning hunting. Almost all kids are introduced to hunting by chasing rabbits with a .22. If the younger generation can't be taught to hunt, the sport will die out. :( :( :(

Won't be long till the CA loony anti's figure out a way to show how much damage people themselves are doing to the precious condor's range and then habitation of CA will be for the birds for real instead of figuratively as it is now.

Gee, you think burrying gut piles would be more feesable? And a lot better for all the economical ramifications that come with banning lead bullets and all the hunting that goes with it?

Sometimes I think I'm a genious - the California legislature makes this easy.

Mike

Is Los Angeles/Hollywood included in the Condor hunting area?????

Sorry....I didn't mean Condor hunting area, I meant Condor protected area..............

Does this mean that Arnold is going to have to clean out his closet of lead ammo, or where exactly is the boundary on the non-lead ban........I am lost........and so is California......build a wall on the west side while we are building the wall on the south side..........

now all the gangbangers in east la will have to switch to non-lead bullets in their drive-by's. might be a good thing. they'll get more jail time from makin' a buzzard sick than they would for killin' somebody. Lark.

I am lost........and so is California......build a wall on the west side while we are building the wall on the south side..........

We've already got a moat out there, assuming that Las Vegas doesn't drink it first.

I just think it is interesting that we put so much emphasis on Hollywood Celebs, Oprah and Obama, etc......and anybody knows that most of the people who are actors were jas-onkeys in school, they have been through rehab and a fourth marriage....and yet we listen to their advice and ideas..

I honestly thought Arnold was going to get the job done over there.....but that is what I get for listening to a celebrity....

Cause when you're a celebrity....its adios reality.......should write a song about that

Uhhhh, nope......Brad Paisley......another celebrity.....