Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

Remington 783 Review

Got my hands on a Remington 783 .308 about two weeks ago. It has a 4-12x Nikon ProStaff scope and the factory base/rings.

I have to say that I have a very positive overall impression of this rifle and wanted to share the limited experience I've had with it. I got my hands on it the night before a hunt (not optimal I know). Let's start with the most important part- accuracy.

Accuracy- The rifle was cleaned but unfired and the scope had been mounted and bore sighted by a gunsmith before I got my hands on the rifle. I didn't get to check torque on the rings/base/action screw or anything. Went to 25m, fired one shot from a front bag only, made some slight adjustments, second shot, now windage correct. Move back to 50m, third shot, windage correct, elevation still slightly low. Move back to 100m, shots 4-6 all 1", slightly low. Make elevation correction (wanted 1.5" high at 100m), two shots almost touching. Move back to 150m and hit soda can size tannerite target. Ready to go. 2hrs later in the stand, 1 shot, 1 doe, 125m, bang flop. Couldn't have been more impressed with how well the rifle shot given the conditions and one half of a box of ammo. Found out later they do pillar bed the plastic stock.

Ammo- was 150gr Hornady American Whitetail Soft Point.

Trigger- Unadjusted, slightly heavy but very shootable. Reminds me of an accu-trigger given the style. Once I get it adjusted I will amend the review.

Aesthetics- Nice looking rifle, the stock feels much nicer than the comparable models (Axis, Ruger American, XPR), weight is slightly heavier than I expected from the look. Not crazy about the small ejection port. The 4rd detachable magazine fed flawlessly (other guys were shooting different ammo and had no issues either), replacements are $27 so don't lose it. The front sling attachment is molded in- it fits a standard Claw sling with no issue but not a Harris bipod at least that I could figure out. Probably need to drill a standard swivel stud in somehow.

Overall- Couldn't be more pleased and I'm not sure you can beat that bang for the buck (under $500 total). Definitely want to tinker with bipod attachment, trigger pull and some different ammo to see just how accurate this rifle can get. This rifle might well push my Remington 700 .270 I bought before the season as my 'all purpose' rifle, out of the safe!!

Sounds like it shoots good. Your talking meters of distant and inches of drop lol. Make up your mind!! Haha!!

Haha, very true, I'm used to measuring my distance metric for everything but MOA/IPHY makes the most sense to me when it comes to ballistics. Probably much to the disdain of my fellow artillerymen!