varnco

Camping in 7E in December

Some thoughts after spending 8 days in an Alaknak with a wood stove in 7-E.

Get a pellet stove instead.

I know theres a balance with the dampener and the front o2 holes in the stove to get a burn going for several hours but I havent got that down yet. I hear a pellet stove is the bomb. Getting up 6x a night sucks. And yes Im using the biggest logs that will fit.

Keep all liquids in the tent. Everything freezes. I mean.. everything. At 1 degree its all frozen.

We all had wiggys ultimate Thule bags that are good for -20. I think thats what kept us going. I cant recommend them enough. When the stove goes out or theres no fire or if youre in the apocalypse , zip up and wait for morning.

I used to do alot of hunting camping fishing in the winter months in Washington and Arizona cold never bothered me. Sleeping in Campers, truck cab overs and trucks with canopies were colder than sleeping on the ground. the wind and cold blows under the and you freeze.

I usually throw a tarp down then a wool blanket, then my sleeping bag with a wool blanket in it. and I am good to go. I sleep right next to the fire. I use the tarp 1st if there is snow on the ground. generally dont use a tent except in the summer for the shade and to keep the bugs away. cost are fantactic but even but the cold blwoing under them will freeze ya.

one year The Warden(aka wife) introduced me to motels yote hunting up on the north rim.. so now I just bring cash when its cold out. Kid wants to jan camp up in unit 8 for deer this year. She crazy Im getting a room in williams.

Heater in a camper 5th wheel would be pretty cool but I worry about carbon monoxide, we got pretty sick one year hunting grand mesa wilderness area in CO using a lantern in a decent size tent with the door flaps open. I aint doing that crap ever again.

Delw