az4life

Best Choice for Varmint rifle

I am a huge fan of the AR's in .223

+1

after that, .243 and 22-250 come to mind.

I will be using my AR10 in .308 for all my varmitting from now on as I will be practicing for bigger things as well. . . great point.

.204 hands down. I have shot over 30 coyotes with mine around the farm and have never had one get away that I have hit. Shot a ton of prairie dogs in Springerville last weekend with huge explosions of prairie dog. Leaves the barrel at over 4,000 fps and has enough weight to take out any varmint we deal with. My $.02.

I think .204 is a good round, but seems to loose enegery QUICK! Had a buddy hit one at around 300 and not recover it.

I prefer the 22-250 with a 50, or 55 grain bullet. anything in the 6mm, (.243) .257, 6.5 mm (.264) or what ever gun you have with you at the time is a perfect gun.

My perfect gun, would be something based on a AR action for quick follow up shots (misses) or doubles. Something in .22-250 would be perfect. 243 would work also.

copied from DPMS website

DPMS also provides choices for high-power and small-bore shooters by offering several rifles chambered in .204 Ruger, .223 Remington/5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm, 6.8x43mm SPC, .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .260 Remington, .300 Remington SAUM and new in 2008, .338 Federal and 6.5 Creedmoor.