Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

Rangefinders?????

Clay,

In planning a stalk, you could use it extra yardage capability to figure how far that knoll or ridge is in between, and if a shot from there is feasible. The extra yardage capability and narrow beam dispersion of a Leica or Swaro would help with ranging tough, smaller targets like antelope on the open flats.

Doug

I'm not trying to cause problems but why would you want a range finder that goes up to 1000 yards? My range finder only goes to 500 on a tree. Yah it will probably go to 800 on something reflective but if you saw a deer at 1000 yards that is one heck of a shot because you have to figure in windage bullet drop and every thing else. By the time your done figuring the deer would probably be gone. Here's my point I spent 129.00 on a busnell that ranges just fine for a gun shot. So why would you want to comprimise your money on something you can't even touch with a bullet? Does not apply on binos of course you need good binos so you can see what or how big the game is. So what is the point of 500.00 to 1000.00 dollar range finders? help me understand why.

Clay

First off, I would never try and shoot an animal at any distance beyond 400 yds. The reason I want to spend the money and get a QUALITY rangefinder is I do not want to make the same mistake as I have made with buying cheap binoculars in the past. You buy the best you can afford and hopefully you will be happy with them enough to last you a long time! The reason I was thinking of buying the longer range unit, is because I think it will help me plan my stalks better in terrain that I sometimes misjudge. Let's face it coues country can be very misleading! Another reason I want to spend the money is the simple fact that I hunt A LOT! Whether it is one of the two archery deer hunts, archery elk, archery/rifle javelina,and recently I have found myself hunting in Utah also! All of this hunting I would hate to find myself with a piece of junk rangefinder just to save a couple of bucks! Not my style! Bottom line is, rangefinders are not just used to "see how far of a shot you can take". It would help me with many situations including making ethical shots, archery or rifle.

Yah but back to your answer of ranging the shot and you wouln't take it over 400 yards bushnell one that i have is perfect for anything under that. And to you saying you hunt alot and want to spend money man I have spent over 8000.00 dollars alone this year on binos, gun, and bowtech bow so I understand what you can afford to buy for quality. And for hunting I even go out after work I hunt and scout everything from elk, deer, varmint, bear, and even small game. Like I said I didn't want this to get out of control. Red rabbit I do understand for how you would range for stalking but isn't the sight out of a range finder as they say "AS THE CROW FLYS" so how does that tell you all you need to know. If I see game at 1000 yards I start a stalk untill I get with in my shooting capabilities. Like I said I was just wandering and everyone has their own opinions.

clay

Yah but back to your answer of ranging the shot and you wouln't take it over 400 yards bushnell one that i have is perfect for anything under that. And to you saying you hunt alot and want to spend money man I have spent over 8000.00 dollars alone this year on binos, gun, and bowtech bow so I understand what you can afford to buy for quality. And for hunting I even go out after work I hunt and scout everything from elk, deer, varmint, bear, and even small game. Like I said I didn't want this to get out of control. Red rabbit I do understand for how you would range for stalking but isn't the sight out of a range finder as they say "AS THE CROW FLYS" so how does that tell you all you need to know. If I see game at 1000 yards I start a stalk untill I get with in my shooting capabilities. Like I said I was just wandering and everyone has their own opinions.

clay

It's not getting out of control I just answered your question you asked. I hear where you are coming from, and up until a couple of years ago I did'nt see myself ever using a rangefinder. You are entitled to your own opinion no big deal bro!

Clay, not everyone limits themselves to 400 yard shots. While I do everything possible to get 400 yards and under, sometimes it just isn't possible or there isn't enough time/light to do it. That's why I have a custom rifle and custom hand loads to shoot out to longer distances. I practice year round at the bench and in the field under "hunting" conditions to make such shots and feel confident in my equipment and abilities. Yes, I'll admit the 1200 yard range finder is over kill for myself, but they aren't always perfect either. The way I figure it is that if I wanted to take shots out to 400 yards I wouldn't buy a 400 yard range finder because they don't work as well at there maximum capicity. I have a Bushnell 600 rangefinder that will almost always work out to 450 or so, but after that it is hit or miss and depends on light and the reflection of the target. Even my Leica 1200 will not pick up every object at 1200 yards every time, but it's pretty darn reliable out to 900+ yards! For shots out to 400 yards I'd buy at least a 600 yard and perhaps even an 800 yard range finder. If I wanted to shoot futher I'd adjust accordingly. Sometimes it's also nice to know what the distance to a target is even if it's outside your shooting range. That way you know how much further you've got to move in to be within your limits.

I have the CRF 900 and love it. I've hit over a 1000yrds with it several times. I know if it can't read it, I need to get closer. Also perfect for archery.

I have the CRF 900 and love it. I've hit over a 1000yrds with it several times. I know if it can't read it, I need to get closer. Also perfect for archery.

What would you say 402, go with the 900 or the 1200? Only $100 difference in price.

Matt, I think the answer to your question depends on your maximum shot distance? If it's over 600 yards, I'd go with the 1200. If it's 600 and under then the 900 should work just fine. Remember that even the Leica 900 won't pick up at 900 or even 800 every time. You have to leave yourself a little buffer space.

Matt, I think the answer to your question depends on your maximum shot distance? If it's over 600 yards, I'd go with the 1200. If it's 600 and under then the 900 should work just fine. Remember that even the Leica 900 won't pick up at 900 or even 800 every time. You have to leave yourself a little buffer space.

I think I will go with the 1200 just to be safe. Thanks for all of your help everyone who gave me input on rangefinders. GREATLY APPRECIATED!