Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

Rangefinders?????

Do any of you have, or have used a Leica crf900 or crf 1200 rangefinder? I need a range finder that will work for archery and rifle hunting and want a quality rangefinder. I was looking at the Leicas because they are small and well they are leicas! The 900 is about $499 and the 1200 is $599 on sale in Cabelas. I want to know if they are worth the money or not. I am not one to skimp in the optics department and I want to buy a quality rangefinder and not have to go and buy another one two years from now because I did'nt spend enough money! Any info on these or other rangefinders will help thanks in advance!

we used one this year on a WT hunt in 6a, and we ranged an airplane as if flew overhead at 780 yards. they are sweet. longest range i could get from a tree or rock pile was just short of 1000yrds. i like the red display they have as well, and the scan mode. very cool.

we used one this year on a WT hunt in 6a, and we ranged an airplane as if flew overhead at 780 yards. they are sweet. longest range i could get from a tree or rock pile was just short of 1000yrds. i like the red display they have as well, and the scan mode. very cool.

Do you know which model it is? the 900 or 1200?

Consider the 1200 over the 900 for the added yardage capability since it is difficult to range those max distances except for reflective objects ( I usually think up to 2/3 or 3/4 of the max under normal conditions). Antelope on the flats are difficult.

Another excellent rangefinder is the Swaro, with good optics and good distance ability. The negative is the large aiming circle.

Doug at Camera Land should be able to give you a great price on the Leicas.

I use a Leica 1200 and love it! I wanted a range finder that would preform everytime out to 900 to 1000 yards and this one does just that. Check with Doug at Cameraland, I think he's got some real good prices on them.

MATT,

I have the Swarovski rangefinder.....it is a bit bigger than the CRF1200 but will easily range out to 2000 yards. It's rated for 1500 but will easily do longer distances. It has a tripod mount on the bottom so you can be extremely accurate with it.....even though as Doug mentioned it does have a large aiming circle. If you need anymore input ont he Swarovski let me know.

scott

I have some swarovski 10 x50's and love them but the rangefinder just looks too big since I am already carrying so much gear. When I decide what i want though i will definately check out cameraland. What about the leuopold range finders are they any good or should i stick with the leicas and swaro's?

Do you know which model it is? the 900 or 1200?

I'll try to find out from my buddy.....

What about the leuopold range finders are they any good or should i stick with the leicas and swaro's?

I looked througha friend's Leupold at the archery range before he returned it to Cabelas. The view was darker and cluttered with the menu. It would not range an excelsior bale at 32 yards. Others report that the leupold RFs cannot range long distances very well either.

Stay with the Leica 1200.

I looked througha friend's Leupold at the archery range before he returned it to Cabelas. The view was darker and cluttered with the menu. It would not range an excelsior bale at 32 yards. Others report that the leupold RFs cannot range long distances very well either.

Stay with the Leica 1200.

+1. A friend of mine had a Luepold with that "true ballistic" technology and he went through 2 before he gave up. Never could get it to range past 300. Stick with the Leica.

Well Leica it is! Seems there is nothing really comparable to size and distance accuracy that Leica has. Thanks for all of your help guys I really appreciate the replies. When it comes to spending lots of coin on something it is great to hear about experiences other hunters have had!

I have the Leica 900. Had the leica LRF 800 and the Swaovski. It does not compare in optics to the others. Swaro is great optics and is easier to glass through, but, it takes more time to acquire and I don't like that for bowhunting. I thought the 1200 was overkill.

Steve

I have the CRF 1200 and it is great. Picks up well in glare and low-lite conditions. My son has got it to read over 1600 yards a few times. I guess he has a steadier hand than I do. I got mine from Doug at Cameraland and he had it here in a couple of days.

I'm not trying to cause problems but why would you want a range finder that goes up to 1000 yards? My range finder only goes to 500 on a tree. Yah it will probably go to 800 on something reflective but if you saw a deer at 1000 yards that is one heck of a shot because you have to figure in windage bullet drop and every thing else. By the time your done figuring the deer would probably be gone. Here's my point I spent 129.00 on a busnell that ranges just fine for a gun shot. So why would you want to comprimise your money on something you can't even touch with a bullet? Does not apply on binos of course you need good binos so you can see what or how big the game is. So what is the point of 500.00 to 1000.00 dollar range finders? help me understand why.

Clay