TAM

Kaibab Karp

I just got back from my late hunt on the Kaibab and wanted to share my story and a couple pictures. After months of preperation pretty much everything I planned for got thrown out the window. During the late hunt the snow and rut is supposed to push the deer down to the lower winter range where the country is more open and a little legwork can put a hunter on a ridge top overlooking miles of country. I scoted the winter range and studied topo maps to look for good glassing points where I could hike in and get away from the crowds. I exercised in preperation for the long hikes in the morning darkness over rough country to get to a good vantage point to glass. I spend countless hours handloading the perfect load for pin point accuracy. I shot hundreds of rounds at ranges out to 700 yards in preperation for that long cross canyon shot. I was prepared with high powered German glass to find the perfect buck at distances over a mile away. I even brought a shovel and tow chain in case the roads were sloppy with mud from foul weather. The simple truth is that none of my preperation mattered one bit!!! The weather never came and the deer never moved. For the most part the deer were still in there summer range on top of the mountain. After the first day of hunting down low we realized we had to change our game plan if we were to be successful. Most of the deer we were seeing were up high and they were concentrated around water sources. As crazy as it souds we decided to sit water. After the first evening I had 9 does and 2 bucks come in but no shooters. One of the other guys in camp had 7 different bucks come in including a nice 170 class four point which he shot at about 5:20 in the evening. The next morning I sat the tank where the buck was killed the night before and had 11 deer come in, but no shooters. After a short break at camp to stretch my legs and get a bite to eat at camp I was back at it, sitting in my bright blue camp chair some 70 yards away with my rifle rested on my tripod kind of like a turkey hunter. At 4:40 in the afternoon six does came in followed by my buck which I proceeded to shoot at a mere 72 yards! I didn't even think to range the distance until after I killed him and I was curious how close he was. Kind of ironic I guess, all the preperation in the world didn' matter one bit in the end. We just had to tweak the game plan and make a few adjustments. Our camp went four for four in three days killing four nice four point bucks in three days. My buck is 27.5 inches wide with a score of 182 inches. We also weighed it guts and all at 236 pounds at the G&F check in station.

I never would have imagined getting a late season Kaibab deer tag and killing a big buck off a water tank on the summer range at 7500' elevation in late November.

post-25-1196133932_thumb.jpg

post-25-1196133826_thumb.jpg

Great buck, congrats. It seems in vain all the hard work but I'd much rather be over-prepared than under-prepared anyday. Once again, congrats. Daryl

FCW80, I was just curious how much he would really weigh. since he died right there on the burm of the the water tank I backed my truck right up to the burm, put down the tail gate, drug him about 20 feet and loaded him in. Seems like people do a lot of guessing when it comes to "Live" weights and I thought it would be kind of cool to know for real.

AZG&F did not require that I brought it in whole, but since I shot it with a lead bullet the lady at the check station practically begged me to bring her the gut pile. She even gave me the trash bags to bring it back in, and also entered my name in a raffle for a $500 Cabelas gift card. I never thought I could make a girl so happy by bringing her a fresh gut pile!!!! I even made the comment to her that if all of us hunters work together and shoot lead bullets and bring in our gut piles that perhaps the Condor population will sky rocket and they'll start issueing some condor tags? Her expression was priceless!!!

Crazy, I had kind of blocked the Mexico hunt out of my mind while I was focusing on this hunt, but thanks for the reminder!!!

Tim,

Way to adapt to the conditions. I like the stickers off the left side of his rack. You didn't cut the cape a little short, didja? With 500 schmolas, guess you could buy lotsa lead bullets and trash bags. ;)

Doug~RR

No short cape there. I left the entire hide from the tail to the neck/head. He had a big swelled up neck with real thick fur that there's no way I'd let go to waste! You just can't see it behind the log.