Sign in to follow this  
coues7

2007 Late Rifle Bull

Well, I was fortunate to draw a Unit 1, 2B and 2C late bull elk tag this year. The last time I had the opportunity to hunt elk for myself was in 1995 in Unit 3B. When the results came out I was hoping it was my wife’s tag but she lucked out and it was mine. I’ve been day dreaming and preparing for the hunt since the results came out in March. My dad and I scouted before the hunt and had seen some great bulls.

Thanksgiving day finally arrived and it was time to miss Thanksgiving with the family and head up. Unfortunately my dad was unable to come up for the first 3 days of the hunt since my sister and her husband were down from Wyoming visiting for the holidays, but I was fortunate enough to have my good friend and hunting buddy Martin make himself available to help out. Thursday morning we headed up with all our equipment and made it to our pre-selected camp spot. When my dad and I had scouted it was super cold and the weather reports for Thanksgiving night and opening morning didn’t look any better. Thanksgiving day only showed a few cows and spikes…..the big bulls we had seen previously were no where to be found. A bit discouraging but we hoped for the best. Thankfully we were able to get a good nights sleep and woke up to snowing pellets and 16-19 degree temps. We hit the clearings bright and early and weren’t able to find any bulls. Some of the bulls we found were in areas we’d hoped wouldn’t get major pressure…..we were wrong….BIG TIME. The most discouraging thing was all the road hunters. Even though it was snowy and cold we hiked and tried to get away from all the people. About midday on Friday we jumped two spikes and later that evening we saw a couple of elk. We didn’t even put the spotter on them since we knew we couldn’t make it to the them by dark and they appeared to be in a super secluded area.

Friday night we were fortunate enough to get a call from a CW.com member who lives in the White Mountains. He was down from school for the holidays and was super eager to help. THANKS JIMMY!!!! After a very poor cell service cell phone call we decided to meet at 4:45 AM and head to a spot where Jimmy had seen some 5x5’s and a few other bulls. We woke up at 3:15 AM and left camp, it was 7 degrees!!! Cold by anyone’s standards! When we got to the trailhead it was still super cold and dark. We decided to keep warm in the truck before making the 1.5 mile hike to our glassing spot since the sun wasn‘t supposed to rise until 7:10 AM. When we finally made it to our glassing spot, the sun was already shedding enough light to push the animals out of the open cedars and into the timber. It turned out to work in our favor.

When we finally made it to the top we split up and glassed different areas. Martin quickly picked up a couple of bulls in the high timber. A short time later Jimmy came over to us and said he hadn’t seen any of the bulls he’d seen the night before but had seen the ones up high in the timber. Jimmy headed down the ridge to check out a different canyon and Martin just couldn’t sit still it was so cold so he kept going around the edge of the ridge to catch some sun rays and glass a little more. A short time later he came back and said “Scott get your rifle and range finder there’s a great bull and we gotta go!“ I rounded up my pack, tripod and rifle and got out my range finder. Martin ran down the ridge and got Jimmy to come back up and keep an eye on the bulls while we tried to get closer. We originally ranged the bull at 790 yards. We made a quick game plan, handed off radios and down the ridge we went.

With this being my first elk and my second time being drawn for bull elk, a bull of this quality on a late rifle hunt only made my adrenaline rush and get me even more shaky! After heading down the ridge, continually ranging, we closed the distance to 600 yards. Martin asked me if I thought I could make the shot and I told him I could. We were on a fairly steep hill side and even with the Harris bipod in full extension I was still short. I was trying to stack rocks to level up, Jimmy was on the radio and Martin was telling me “hurry up Scott!”. The bull slowly fed down the opposite ridge and had now closed the distance to 550 yards. I dialed my turrets to 11.25 MOA and let one fly. “high!”. Chambered another round and let her fly. The second one hit its mark and near the rear. When we replayed the video later the bull immediately began favoring his opposite hip. He walked about 100 yards and stopped just outside a cedar giving me another perfect broadside shot. The next bullet entered both lungs and broke the front left shoulder…..bull down. Martin and I watched him fall and then Jimmy came over the radio and said “bull down!”

For all of you that have harvested these beautiful animals you know the feelings that followed. I’d like to thank first and foremost my Heavenly Father for allowing me to harvest such a great animal. My wife and daughter for putting up with my addiction, my dad and mom for giving me a love of the outdoors and Martin and Jimmy. I could not have made this happen without Martin and Jimmy! THANKS GUYS!!!!! I've always known Martin was a pack horse….he carries an 80 lb. backpack year round….he did it again plus some quarters! Jimmy needs to change his name here on the boards to “the Mule”…..at least that’s what I’ll be calling him. I’d also like to take the time the thank the AZGFD for managing our wildlife! The guys in the field do a superb job! It was a great hunt. I wish my dad could have been there….he and my Mom put a lot of time, money and effort into helping me on this hunt, but being with my sister was more important…..they made a 16 hour drive to come home!

Sorry it’s so long but thanks for reading! I would have taken more pictures but is was just too dang cold!!!!

post-181-1196114490_thumb.jpg

post-181-1196114544_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention......the bull was aged at between 10-12 years of age. His G3 and G4 were busted from ruttin' hard. It appeared that if you matched his left to his right side that he is missing about 12-18" of hard horn. I couldn't be happier......I lucked out and got him on Saturday.....I think for all those guys still in the field it's gonna be a tough hunt.

Great job Scott! I'm sure it was nice to have some help to pack out that beast.