MY 3 SONS

want to buy 243 for youth

If your looking for a new one consider the New England Firearms singleshot in youth model. The length of pull is about 12.5 inches. My daughter who weighs about a buck shoots one in 7mm-08. If you plan on someday hunting elk with your boy's this caliber would be a better way to go. I purchased hers for $250.00 and added a Leuopold 2x7x32 scope. $450.00 in the complete setup. Shoots fine, she took her first elk with it in October. When he grows out of it pass it down. Plus a singleshot with a hammer to cock it, is very safe. They also have a youth model out in .243 that comes with a scope, I think it's a Bushnell.

In my opinion NEF can't be beat for the price.

thanks for the info,,,,,,i have been torn between the 7mm-08 and the 243...?? i decided to go with 243 for recoil reasons. am i making the wrong choice ?? i also have been looking at savage's youth package series. the model i am interested in is the 11FYXP3 youth with accutrigger. this package is available in 243 & 7mm-08 ,, price is around $485. a friend of mine has a model 7 and it is very nice but a little more than what i wanted to spend at this time. you got me thinking about the single shot now. it would be more safe !!!

7mm-08 is a .308 necked down to .284. Case capacity is the same. They really don't kick much. If you handload you can shoot 120's. We shoot 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips for deer and 140 grain partitions for elk. Good caliber.

7mm-08 is a .308 necked down to .284. Case capacity is the same. They really don't kick much. If you handload you can shoot 120's. We shoot 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips for deer and 140 grain partitions for elk. Good caliber.

Got any 120's for sale?

We are shooting Rem. factory loads

and they are good,

BUT :o you got a hot one we might try?

Mike

I saw an ad in yesterdays paper for either BPS or Cabelas that ha d a youth 243 that also came with an adult stock for free. Sorry I don't remember what brand the gun was. Good luck.

Mike

I have a Ruger No.1V 6mm I was thinking about posting hoping someone would like it for a kid. It has a 3-9 Leupold VXII. It is in good shape if your interested send me a pm. I have taken many coyotes and a couple coues with it. It will shoot 85gr. speer at 3250+ and shoots good under 1". :rolleyes:

My son has a youth Ruger in .243 that works fine, and I like the model 7 youth. A friend of mine bought the new Rossi that comes with 3 interchangable barrels, .243, .22LR, and 20 guage. The 3 barrels allows some flexibility for hunting all types of game without having to buy multiple guns. However, you are stuck with a single-shot with all three. Good luck with you search and purchase.

I have a Ruger No.1V 6mm I was thinking about posting hoping someone would like it for a kid. It has a 3-9 Leupold VXII. It is in good shape if your interested send me a pm. I have taken many coyotes and a couple coues with it. It will shoot 85gr. speer at 3250+ and shoots good under 1". :rolleyes:

hi Bird Dog,,, i have heard of a ruger no #1. what is a 1V. do you think it would be to heavy for a youth ?? my 3 sons.

hi Bird Dog,,, i have heard of a ruger no #1. what is a 1V. do you think it would be to heavy for a youth ?? my 3 sons.

A 1-V is the varmit barrel with a target crown on a 24" barrel. It is not any/much heavier than a standard rifle but it is certainly no "youth" model. Lighter is not always better when shooting but packing could weigh a kid down or better yet keep them slowed up for their dad. Also, the heavier a rifle the less felt recoil no matter the cartridge. This 6mm is very pleasant to shoot and is what I started my wife last year on before elk. She did great. The trigger pull I believe is <13" "and has fit me well. I am not very tall 5'7"and average arm lenght. I personally have grown to love the Ruger no.1 because it is a single shot and extremely strong actioned fpr hand loading. Also, because it is a single shot it has slowed me down to make a better shot with a "single" shot. I grew up shooting bolt actions, but matured with a single shot! Although I say this I can make the old 6mm sing when needed and get off nearly as many shots at running coyotes as someone with a bolt. Another benefit I see is you get a shorter rifle over all with a longer barrel because the action length is shortened being a falling block. Here is a picture I was thinking of posting if you can see it. I do think it is easier to tell on a single shot when it is not loaded even though "a gun is always laoded" because there are less bullets involved. I have also heard that the Savage rifles are good shooters especially for the price. I hope this helps and I surely would love for this rifle to go to a family if possible.

A 1-V is the varmit barrel with a target crown on a 24" barrel. It is not any/much heavier than a standard rifle but it is certainly no "youth" model. Lighter is not always better when shooting but packing could weigh a kid down or better yet keep them slowed up for their dad. Also, the heavier a rifle the less felt recoil no matter the cartridge. This 6mm is very pleasant to shoot and is what I started my wife last year on before elk. She did great. The trigger pull I believe is <13" "and has fit me well. I am not very tall 5'7"and average arm lenght. I personally have grown to love the Ruger no.1 because it is a single shot and extremely strong actioned fpr hand loading. Also, because it is a single shot it has slowed me down to make a better shot with a "single" shot. I grew up shooting bolt actions, but matured with a single shot! Although I say this I can make the old 6mm sing when needed and get off nearly as many shots at running coyotes as someone with a bolt. Another benefit I see is you get a shorter rifle over all with a longer barrel because the action length is shortened being a falling block. Here is a picture I was thinking of posting if you can see it. I do think it is easier to tell on a single shot when it is not loaded even though "a gun is always laoded" because there are less bullets involved. I have also heard that the Savage rifles are good shooters especially for the price. I hope this helps and I surely would love for this rifle to go to a family if possible.

I hav a Ruger No.1V That I cut the stock down for my 9 year old son to use, it enabled him to use it, and it made it fit me better as well. Anybody that has shot a Ruger No.1 knows that you have to have a scope with a very generous eye relief because of the placement of the scope mounts.

The combination of it's short reciever and shoetened stock make it very menuverable and the added wieght of the varmint barrel helped him stesdy it from a rest in the box blinds we hunt from.

The rifle shoots extremely accurately and he shot his first deer with it htis season. He harvested a mature doe with a perfect heart shot at 90 yds. He loves that rifle now, and he says it's like shooting a .22 as far as recoil goes.