Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

decoys and calls

I've had numerous bulls answer the squeak in my old Ford truck front door when I get away from where they are accustomed to them hearing us frauds!

Ive seen some of the funniest crap out while hunting elk. I bet I have called in just as many hunters as I have elk. called hunters right out of there trucks.

Elk dont care what call you use. they all work. I dont buy the educated theory like many others do. I been calling yotes since the 80s and call close to phoenix dont have a problem calling them in. same goes for elk up north. we dont have a problem calling them in. I use what ever calls I find at the closest store. hoochie mama I been using for the last 15+ years never failed me yet.

The main problem with calling is movement and talking(so called whispering) cut that out and your success will come way up.

we have had not just stay 100 -300 yards out and not come in for 30-40 mins. sometimes we just wail on the call and they finally come in. cause curiosity got the best of them. other times they go way because 1 they are bored with you or they saw you. I mean think about it. full camo and your walking around in the woods. how many elk seen bushes mover around, Id be disturbed and leave too ;)

the best one ever was Daughter and I last year had a decent bull come in about 80-100 yards and just hang. his cows were with in 20 yards. what seemed like an hour this bull would not budge. he would bugle at me I would bugle at him. I finally got pissed and grabbed a big stick and beat the crap out of the ground with it. just after I blue the ugliest bugle out there even the daughter said WTF was that. then blew it again and that bull tucked his down down and ran straight at us stopped behind some bushs and kid couldnt get a clean shot. funniest thing I ever saw..

sometimes people put too much emphasis on the type of calls and how much or how little they are supposed to be used just like camo and everything else.. take what you want they all work and go have a good time dont worry about what anyone else says.

we did call in a elk calf 2 years ago with a hoochie mama. with in hand petting ranged 1 to 2 feet?. he hung out for a while and they 4 of us were just standing there looking at it whispering to each other.. we think he might have been with a cow that our friend shot the day before. Daughter enjoyed it so thats all that mattered.

next month She gets to do it for the 3rd time in a row same unit same areas same dates going to be fun as always whether she tags one or not.

That's a lot of work, I just use a couple blades of grass to call them in. I tried it from my car last season and an elk got in and kicked it for a while.

Ive seen some of the funniest crap out while hunting elk. I bet I have called in just as many hunters as I have elk. called hunters right out of there trucks.

Elk dont care what call you use. they all work. I dont buy the educated theory like many others do. I been calling yotes since the 80s and call close to phoenix dont have a problem calling them in. same goes for elk up north. we dont have a problem calling them in. I use what ever calls I find at the closest store. hoochie mama I been using for the last 15+ years never failed me yet.

The main problem with calling is movement and talking(so called whispering) cut that out and your success will come way up.

we have had not just stay 100 -300 yards out and not come in for 30-40 mins. sometimes we just wail on the call and they finally come in. cause curiosity got the best of them. other times they go way because 1 they are bored with you or they saw you. I mean think about it. full camo and your walking around in the woods. how many elk seen bushes mover around, Id be disturbed and leave too ;)

the best one ever was Daughter and I last year had a decent bull come in about 80-100 yards and just hang. his cows were with in 20 yards. what seemed like an hour this bull would not budge. he would bugle at me I would bugle at him. I finally got pissed and grabbed a big stick and beat the crap out of the ground with it. just after I blue the ugliest bugle out there even the daughter said WTF was that. then blew it again and that bull tucked his down down and ran straight at us stopped behind some bushs and kid couldnt get a clean shot. funniest thing I ever saw..

sometimes people put too much emphasis on the type of calls and how much or how little they are supposed to be used just like camo and everything else.. take what you want they all work and go have a good time dont worry about what anyone else says.

we did call in a elk calf 2 years ago with a hoochie mama. with in hand petting ranged 1 to 2 feet?. he hung out for a while and they 4 of us were just standing there looking at it whispering to each other.. we think he might have been with a cow that our friend shot the day before. Daughter enjoyed it so thats all that mattered.

next month She gets to do it for the 3rd time in a row same unit same areas same dates going to be fun as always whether she tags one or not.

That's a lot of work, I just use a couple blades of grass to call them in. I tried it from my car last season and an elk got in and kicked it for a while.

I'd laugh at that but I watched a kid call one in with a folded up straw. same kid that shot the cow the day before we called the baby in.

High pitched varmit calls work too. dad didnt believe me but we have it on video while bear hunting north of sedona a bunch of years ago. varmit calls are the most versatile calls around.

found these on my server 2 short vids awhile ago.

Dad and I were scouting or hunting for bear in north of the switchbacks by sedona going to flag.

I believe this was in late 90's could have been in early 90's as I uploaded the vid on my server when I got it.

Anyway dad always got a kick of me calling in elk with a yote call and to see how close we can get them in. we had them in with in 5 feet at times most were averaging about 10-20 yards. also on the same tape is dad running from one cause he basically step over my Father and dad didnt see it. funnier than crap. got the master tape somewhere(like 200 of them) and finally got a used camera so I can watch them again and hopefully transfer them to digital media .

http://www.del-mart.com/movies/elk1.mpg

http://www.del-mart.com/movies/elkvid3.mpg