Sign in to follow this  
AZ420

Elk Antler Growth 2017.....

So what is everyone seeing for elk antler growth in 2017? Most were thinking this was going to be the year to have an Arizona elk tag, so is that going to hold true by what you've seen out scouting so far..

LOL ... maybe that elk will bend that antler back in place ?! hahaha.

I saw a lot of good fronts and not as good of tops. Any year is a great year to have a tag though.

• Like 6

I'm interested in this as well. . Agree with Mt Man from the pics I've seen so far it looks like the bottom ends did better then the tops this year.

I saw a lot of good fronts and not as good of tops. Any year is a great year to have a tag though.

I agree any year to have a tag is a great year! So far I'm seeing similar results, with great fronts/thirds and average top ends. I have seen a few bulls that have great royals, and 5th's as well. I need to see more bulls this month to be sure, and hoping others are finding quality bulls in the areas they'll be hunting as well! Good luck scouting, and great bulls posted so far!

Rains showed up too late. Guys have been saying it's gonna be a banner year. But as of two weeks ago before it started raining every day our 30 and 60 days precipitation maps had most of the state far below average rainfall for that time of year. Look at the maps now and were way over average. Probably will help the deer but too late for elk. Bulls are done growing and will rub in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Main beams over-all length are short. The hot dry summer took it's toll. The two front tines are super long and swept upwards with lots of length, but spaced extremely close to each other. Spaces between tines are short through the entire length. I've watched about a dozen elk all summer and the antler production is consistent among those that I have been watching.

Rains showed up too late. Guys have been saying it's gonna be a banner year. But as of two weeks ago before it started raining every day our 30 and 60 days precipitation maps had most of the state far below average rainfall for that time of year. Look at the maps now and were way over average. Probably will help the deer but too late for elk. Bulls are done growing and will rub in the next 2 weeks.

Exactly

I guess this thread won't make it to page 2 with me agreeing with you. :)

i always figured saying its going to be a banner year every year is largely advertising from outfitters to encourage tag holders to hire help and not squander their tag.

• Like 2

Anybody have a bull they've followed from last year, and have a pic of him this year at approximately the same date to compare his growth?

That's funny. I have see the exact opposite around flagstaff. I have seen more of the best back ends that I've ever seen but nearly every one seems to have weak thirds.