Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Off To Kill A Carp Deer!

I'm outta here bright and early tomorrow on my way to the Ft. Collins, CO area where I'll be do a "cull" mule deer hunt and also a bit of waterfowl hunting. I will have a high-speed connection so I'll try to file daily reports and maybe some photos.

Now y'all play nice. ;) -TONY

I'm at the Comfort Inn in Wellington, Colo. as I type this. Left home yesterday about 6 a.m. and arrived here last night about 950 miles later at 8:30. Won't start hunting until tomorrow. -TONY

Tony,

Ruffin it, you are? What bullets are you testing on the cull hunt? Sounds like a fun trip; bucks-n-ducks. Enjoy.

Doug~RR

Just shooting my ol' tried and true .264 with Win. factory 140 PPs.

And hopefully we have a few geese thrown in.

This is the crew I'm hunting with. If you look at the deer pix in the TROPHY ROOM section, you'll see some of the management cull bucks they take each year.

This is one from earlier this year. -TONY

mule.jpg

I'm tired and about ready to crawl in the sack, but I thought I'd give a quick report of today's happenings.

My hunting mate from Oregon, Roger, killed a nice 3x3 management buck today. It's very high and symetrical but lacks a lot of mass and spread.

The one trophy hunter who was with a different guide shot a super heavy and wide 8x9 or so. It looks like a N. Kaibab buck and grossed 206!!!

I did more shopping today than anything, mostly to give the guy hunting with me first crack. We saw no less than 100-125 deer, with many shooter bucks included. Some of them are off-limits for me, though, because they are legit trophy quality deer and not cull-type bucks. We did spot one monster 3x3 and another 4x6 that we will try to relocate again tomorrow.

I'll post photos of Roger's 3x3 tomorrow after I "harvest" my buck. I didn't get any pix of the biggie, but the guide did and will have them on the outfitter's web site soon. -TONY

Those management bucks are better than most around here in 7. Will be waiting for pics after you "harvest" him with your John Deere Winchester.

What do the deer eat out there Tony, red rocks?

Bob

Nah. That photo is really an anomaly of sorts because only a very small part of the 35,000-acre ranch is that type of country. Most of it is typical rolling foothills with some serious canyons and the main vegetation covering all the slopes is mountain mahogany. Then way low down near the main ranch house, there are probably 200 acres of alfalfa fields. So the place is actually like a candy store for deer. -TONY

Those management bucks are better than most around here in 7. Will be waiting for pics after you "harvest" him with your John Deere Winchester.

I ended my quest this morning with a very symetrical 3X3 with 17" back points and 23" spread. The John Deer Winchester came through again with another one-shot "harvest," and not one bit of meat affected by the shot that took out the heart and one lung. Pictures on the late night news at 11.

Having the backstraps cut into steaks, tenderloins left whole and the rest, about 50 lbs. worth, into three types of summer sauage -- regular, hot n' spicy and jalapena/cheese. -TONY

If he had been making journeys down to the alfalfa fields, he should be real tasty. Now for some geese?

Not sure if he had once visited, but he was miles from those fields where I harvested him, and Chanse -- my guide -- had been seeing him in this area since Aug. But he had a very nice layer of fat and ran only 20 yards or so before he fell dead. They estimated him at 6 yrs. old. Here he is in all his glory. -TONY

Front View:

TonyMandilebuck1opt.jpg

Side View

TonyMandilebuck2opt.jpg

Roger Bell's 3x3 from yesterday

RogerBell1opt.jpg

WOW Tony what a buck. I think i see one of those hunts in my next years line up. I can not go another year with no hunting. Even if i get a tag i am still tempted to go after one of those managment bucks. Heck they are trophy class in my book of CARP.