Sign in to follow this  
azpackhorse

My Nov. buck

Well here he is, this is the buck I was gunn'n for since August. I have around 40 trail cam pics of this guy. I glassed him up about an hour into the hunt on the first day, I asked my son if he wanted to go and he said "nope, that's your buck" so off I went! He bedded up and it took me about 1 1/2 hours to locate him, I was going to wait him out but it was getting hot and I was getting impatient! I called Levi (my son) on the radio and told him I was going to try a head shot...........long pause, then he said "it's up to you boss" I ranged him at 232yds, all I could see was his head and a little of his neck just below his jaw. Not knowing how his body was positioned I flipped out the Harris bi-pod and got in the scope.

I had to get in and out of the rifle about 3 times before I felt comfortable, this was going to be a one shot deal as I figured if I missed he would top over into the next canyon and be gone.

I steadied my breathing and squeezed the trigger on the Ruger .300 winmag....boom! I hurried back into the scope only to see the buck's legs sticking straight up! I could hear Levi scream from over 1000yds away!

I hit him just below the jaw on the right side.

Thank you Levi for your help! It was a long, rough pack out whick took us 6 hours from the time I shot him until we reached the truck, I am so glad I have a young, strong son!!

I haven't scored him yet as he is boiling in the pot right now but a rough estimate is around 107"

P1010023.jpg

Awesome way to put it all together and one shot!

It's great to see the bucks being taken that were followed with trail cams and executing the shot on the hunt!

Congrats! Nice spread on that coues!

AzP&Y

Doug

HOLY ##^$r&*(... THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!! You are one bad mutha!!!

Congrats on an absolute dream come true!

There's nothing better than naming your buck before season and then bringing him home. Sooo, what's his name?

Brian,

I can see why you were excited. You were breaking up pretty bad over the phone- couldn't have been the reception ;) . 6 hours?- you were indeed a ways in there. Without Levi, guess you'd still be packing out. That right beam sure is long. Well done!

Doug~RR