Lance

Jaguarundi in AZ!

Thanks to a post by "Josh" caled "Lion in a canyon" I now can put the correct name to what I saw in the 36's in Oct! ;)

I thought I was going crazy :( I got a real good look at it and thought it was a mountain at first. But it was too small, short, stout and too dark for a lion. So I thought it might be a Coati. I have seen plenty of Coati and I just couldn't convence myself it was a coati. Not to mention it didn't have a long face! :rolleyes:

I joked around camp that I had seen a black Jaguar but wasn't quite convinced of that ether.

After reading Josh's and Matts post I googled Jaguarundi and saw lots of pictures! And shure enough, that is exactly what I saw! No doubt about it! Way cool! Before I was fealing kind of stupid cause I couldn't corectly identify an animall I had seen in the woods and gotten a good look at! :huh: Now I know why!

I know these are rare but it sounds like several are spoted every year. Has anyone here ever seen one or know or heard of anyone who has?

Lance

post-669-1194504336.jpg

I haven't seen one yet, but they are awesome looking! I do still beleive several of those pic's on that other thread are Coati's though.......but there are two that I would bet money on are those Jaguarundi critters.....I just wonder if their coloring may vary by regions? Cool stuff! JIM>

I've done some online digging on them too. From what I've read, their coats can vary from all black to light tan. Some are even spotted. I'm going to build a blind on that spring this summer when it's hot & see if I can't get an in-person viewing instead of relying on trail cams.

Matt S.

I've done some online digging on them too. From what I've read, their coats can vary from all black to light tan. Some are even spotted. I'm going to build a blind on that spring this summer when it's hot & see if I can't get an in-person viewing instead of relying on trail cams.

Matt S.

Put a better trail cam on that spring or one with video option!

There is quite a bit of info on the AZGFD.gov website as well. They say they have no concrete evedence (No sculls or hides) but there have been many sightings in AZ. You could be the first with concrete proof!

I had read about them before and have seen pictures but seeing one in the woods just didn't click in my head tell now :rolleyes:

Lance

I saw one in Mexico last year. Kinda freaked me out as i had no idea what it was. We were heading back to camp in a Polaris Ranger and it ran down the road in front of us for about 20 yards. My buddy didn't see it as he was looking off to the side and I just pointed with my mouth open trying to figure out what the heck it was. :lol: I described it to him and he knew what it was, smart dude.

cool spot Lance!!

i saw one in deep south TX one a ranch that we were niglai hunting on.. we saw the little kitty just walking down the road at first light in a really thick area on the ranch.. 2 days later, we got to see an ocelot cross in front of us on the same place.. it was a BEAUTIFUL cat..

not many places in the lower 48 that you can see those felines..south TX and southern AZ probably being that only two.. same goes for coati.. even though I saw one in the guadelupe moutnains in NM once.. darned thing ran up a tree and looked at us like we had just waken him up from a nap!! we were Merrriams turkey hunting.

I called one in with a varmint call near the Willow Springs Ranch many years ago before they were listed as protected, but I wasn't fast enough to shoot it. When I reported it to Game and Fish, I was told there never had been a verified sighting in Arizona. I guess my sighting didn't count.

Bill Quimby

I may have seen the same thing. On a scouting trip in 36A my friend spotted something down in a canyon, we thought it to be a mountain lion as well, but it was too dark. I thought about the jaguar explanation as well, but was never convinced. I can't say for sure it was a Jaguarundi but it makes more sense. I'd be interested to know where you saw it at, I saw this one south of the sierritas in the rolling hills.

Rich

I may have seen the same thing. On a scouting trip in 36A my friend spotted something down in a canyon, we thought it to be a mountain lion as well, but it was too dark. I thought about the jaguar explanation as well, but was never convinced. I can't say for sure it was a Jaguarundi but it makes more sense. I'd be interested to know where you saw it at, I saw this one south of the sierritas in the rolling hills.

Rich

Yes 36A, hills South of the Sierritas

Put a better trail cam on that spring or one with video option!

There is quite a bit of info on the AZGFD.gov website as well. They say they have no concrete evedence (No sculls or hides) but there have been many sightings in AZ. You could be the first with concrete proof!

I had read about them before and have seen pictures but seeing one in the woods just didn't click in my head tell now :rolleyes:

Lance

I'm going to after all the rifle hunts die down, but too many people roaming around out there right now. Plus, that spring isn't exactly real isolated & I can't afford to give away $100 cameras. That spring is a really hot spot when it's dry. In 7 days I got over 140 pics of deer, javis, coatis, the lion & the jaguarundi. I really wanted to set out there w/ my canon & 300mm zoom, but never had the time. I'm going to make time this year now that I realize that was a jaguarundi. Love to get one of those on film & maybe get that coati or that lion on my wall. ;)

Matt S.

I ran into a guy in 34a during this years october hunt that swore he had seen a black mountain lion. I figured that he had seen a coati but maybe it was a Jaguarundi? I never did see it myself so I can't confirm anything.

There are black cats in AZ. they have been seen in the san pedro river area and one guy shot one years ago and was fined alot of money for it. Another thing i know for a fact is that is not the only place the black cats run in az either.