Sign in to follow this  
Prohunt

Hey Amanda!!

I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM WITH THEM I WOULD BUY ONE, AND I DIDN'T HUNT COUES DEER UNTIL LAST YEAR. I HAVE HEARD COUES CALLED DOG DEER, JACKALOPES AND ANY OTHER NAMES THEY CAN THINK OF, SO CARP SHOULDN'T HURT ANYBODIES FEELINGS.

I want a few of those, I have taken so much flak about Coues. I have had guys call coues the "spider monkey of the cervid family", "midget deer" etc, etc, etc, and I will send one to Mike Duplan aka Buckspy on monster muley's..........its all in fun and most wont take it as snobbish but rather a continuation of an age old ford vs. Chevy battle..............Thanks Amanda...........

Looks like good clean fun to me. I enjoy hunting muleys and coues. The variety we have out West is outstanding. I like to hunt whities in Az. and Muleys in NM. I choose to not limit myself by picking a favorite.

If someone gets offended over something like this, they must not have anything else in their lives to worry about.

Print them.

Mike

Hi all,

I am new to posting on this site but have periodically kept tabs on the conversations here as i am also a coues fanatic. As to the previous posts, ironically I have been working on getting a coues hat made from a local shop where i live. The coues pic I used is not a monster just a good typical coues. The embroidery template is complete and I think it looks great. My initial plan is to have this put on a hat that is an off white cap ( they call it "natural") with a brown bill. I have a couple of others picked out that would work great for hunting or our other lives that are not camo that look great also. I have planned on placing the wording " Fantasma Gris Del Desierto" around the coues deer on the hat. The wording is spanish for "grey ghost of the desert". I liked the wording since they are from Mexico. What do all of you think? Would the wording in English be more appropriate? Would any of you be interseted in a hat. I should be able to to get these done for around $20.00 maybe less. I am about two or three weeks from having this done and would like all you to give your opinion. My wife and I plan to select the first hat colors and place an order this week. If any of you would like a hat or more info e-mail me at harris@vtc.net.

Amanda, I would be interested in placing these for sale on your site also if you would let me.

Thanks All!

Rharris

I would also vote for english. And I would consider selling them here on this site if they look good and are good quality. Email me when you get them done and I will give you an address to send a sample to.

Amanda

Hey Amanda,

Got my package the other day, including the new books and video. Already went thru the new Coues book, and will reserve questions and comments til later.

I met you in '98 when I hunted the San Carlos. I am a 40 year old very experienced and successful trophy Rocky Mtn muley hunter, and presently live in western Colorado. I have harvested mature, big muleys all over the west, including the Strip. I am also a fairly new Coues deer hunter, having been on 4 unguided hunts in Arizona. Coues deer, like muleys, are a magnificent, beautiful, interesting, and challenging game animal. I am fascinated by them, and have considered moving to AZ to further my Coues deer education and to spend more time with the neat critters.

The reason I am making this post is to hopefully discourage you and other "CW Regulars" from blasting muleys and labeling them as CARP deer. BELIEVE ME PEOPLE, I have been picked on, insulted, and belittled (and have fought back!!!) for mentioning my interest and great respect for Coues deer in front of muley hunters while living in Wyoming and Colorado for the last dozen years. I also have seen great debates (and fistfights) between bowhunters -vs- riflehunters, elk -vs- deer, muleys -vs- sheep, pronghorns are a joke, etc... for many more years. It gets very tiresome for me, and goes completely against WHAT I AM IN THIS FOR and what I believe.

The point I am making is that I DESPISE snobbery, egos, elitism, and holier-than-thou attitudes in big game hunting. Man I am tired of this. I can't tell you how peed off and tired I am of this incredible nonsense. All of the big game animals that I have hunted and harvested are magnificent and worthy of respect. Obviously, some are more challenging than others due to a number of factors.

The thing that I am really getting at is that I AM IN THIS FOR PERSONAL SATISFACTION ONLY. I really don't care what anybody else thinks about me or my trophies and hunting experiences. This thing is between me and the animals. I have entry's in B & C, but only to give credit to the ANIMAL.

I urge you and other CW members to NOT LOWER YOURSELVES to the level of other IGNORANT hunters and to not refer to muleys as CARP deer. If you are better, more intelligent human beings than those who have belittled Coues deer and tried to reduce them to a lesser animal, prove it by refraining from taking it out on muleys. You will be better for it.

Thanks for this website and discussion forum. If it continues to be excellent, I will continue to participate and to purchase products from you.

I do not see where there is a problem, CHD while I think you make some valid points, we should not have to be PC on everything, every one of us love to hunt, though we might prefer to hunt one animal more than others. I do not think we are going to hurt the feelings of a deer, as for the hunters it should be taken in jest, and I could care less about Boone & Crockett, Safari Club, or Pope & Young, I hunt for me, any animal I take is a trophy to me. I do not think I have called Mule deer carp once while talking about them, but the bumper sticker idea is funny. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just think some things should not be taken so seriously.

GREAT FORUM

CHD,

You make some good points. I don't want to be adding animosity to the mix, just want to promote the little Coues deer. Another reason not to make the bumper sticker is that many people may read it as a "friends don't let friends hunt deer" anti-hunting sticker. Wouldn't want to see that happen!

Amanda

I think CHD needs a change of company with all that arguing and fist fighting going on. Muleys are called carp in Az because they let the Coues have the steeps and they like the lowlands (bottom feeders). This label is given in affection. This is not a racial slurr - really! But I think we could try to humer some other species: I know a person who has had too much exposure - for his liking - to the politics surrounding the big horn sheep. He refers to this species as the "Cliff Carp" (they can suck a living off of any rock). Really folks, lets honor these animals and our hunting heritige by our ethical actions in the field, working for conservation and educating people. But please, lets not elevate the status of animals to diety. It's not sacreligious to call a deer a carp, a toad or a gorilla. Political correctness is a deseise that should be kept in quarantine. Let's have some fun. I ain't seent a brawl yet involving two or more people discussing their favorite ani-mule to hunt.

Mike

I see this stuff as all in fun but do understand the sentiments surrounding "lowering ourselves" to the others. I for one hunt most everything and would gladly accept a Kaibab tag to shoot a monster. I do want to point out that Amanda does stand for all deer (she sits on the Arizona Deer Association board) and she puts a ton of time into habitat restoration and generating monies for both Muley and Coues. I dont mean to speak for her, just want to point out that her passion is Coues but she of course loves all deer species.........Thanks Amanda for a great website.................Allen Taylor...............

Hey Rembrant,

Did you even consider that maybe I was the one throwing all those punches? LOL!

Seriously though, here is an EXTREME example of what I am talking about. Maybe some of you read this also. If it is true and I understand the facts correctly, it is UNBELIEVABLE. In the newspaper last week, there was an article about 3 guys hunting elk in the backcountry of northwest Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Evidently, 2 of them starting bickering over which would shoot the first elk. The feud went on all day, and continued at camp that night. According to the article it reached the boiling point and one of them pulled out his gun and shot the other one in the knee. The bullet cut his femoral artery, AND THE GUY BLED TO DEATH ON THE SPOT! Incredible! One man dies and the other goes to prison, all over a silly, pathetic competition that has no place in hunting. Incredible.

The main point in my first message is not that deer are the ultimate creatures and worthy of worship, or that their feelings might get hurt, or that hunters should practice political correctness. Give me a break. I am talking about PEOPLE, not mule deer. My main point is that competition, egos, and narcissism HAVE NO PLACE IN HUNTING. The whole reason I hunt is to get entirely away from that nonsense that I have spent way too much time around in my life. The minor point in my message is that all game animals deserve some respect by hunters.

This site continues to get better and better! Good work, Amanda! I envision a donation coming your way!

Chris Darnell

Edited by CHD

I DO THINK ALL ANIMALS DESERVE RESPECT, AND I WOULD AND WILL CONTINUE TO HUNT MULE DEER WHEN I GET THE CHANCE. WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THINGS NEED TO BE TAKEN FOR WHAT THEY ARE, THE SCENARIO DESCRIBED ABOVE IS THE EXTREME, AND THE ACTIONS OF ONE SHOULD NOT DICTATE THE WAY PEOPLE LIVE. I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM, BUT A JOKE IS A JOKE. I BELIEVE THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT TAKE OFFENSE TO ANYTHING, THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A REASON TO FIGHT, WE NEED TO SEPERATE OURSELVES FROM THOSE PEOPLE.

I THINK THIS WEBSITE AND THE INDIVIDUALS ON THIS WEBSITE PROMOTE HUNTING, AND THE OUTDOORS, BUT EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE AN OPINION WHETHER WE AGREE OR NOT.

Guest Guest

I'm enjoying this string. It got us blabbin about deeper stuff than deer huntin - the human condition. I agree with you CHD, hunting is special and personal, and those of us that emerse ourselves in it from time to time (like whenever we can) get great satisfaction from it. It is bad when some people make it so important that they find themselves in envy and strife. The jokes aren't bad. The jokes are funny. I don't remember the man's name, but there is a Game Department guy that gives a great mule deer talk with slides. He askes this question: "Why all the hoopla about mule deer?" Then he says, "because the whitetail in Arizona look like this...", he changes the slide and there is a photo of a 3" wide toy whitetail rack sitting in the palm of a man's hand. Now, THIS IS FUNNY! and I'm a whitetail guy.

Keith is right, and I agree with him wholeheartedly when he says: (I'll put it in my own words) It is a shame that a few people with bad behavior are able to dictate the actions of the majority. Seems to be a growing trend in this country.

CHD, if you were serious about being the one that throws the blows, you could come to my home in Flagstaff, kick my butt, and then we could get some dinner and talk about huntin.

Peace,

Mike