Sign in to follow this  
liv4coues

Whitetail rifle for my wife

Although I'm new to this site, I've read enough to know this post may open up a huge can of worms . . . but here it goes anyway. My wife recently expressed an interest in drawing a tag for next year's hunt. She's never hunted before and doesn't currently have a gun. I'm thinking of buying a .243, 25-06, or 7mm-08 for her. She's 5'2" and weighs just over 100 lbs., so I don't think she could take much recoil. Any thoughts?

ask some friends if you can let her shoot a the caliber if they have one? to see how she handles them. I shoot a 270 wsm I dont think the recoil is that bad, any of the calibers you mention she could use. The 7mm might be a little much for her, the .243 would get the job done as well as a lot others. there is no right or wrong awnser to you question.

I'll second what ultramag said.

Find a gun or several to borrow for a trip to the range. I would think any of the cartridges based on the . 308 would be tolerable.

.243 Win

.260 Rem

7mm-08

.308 Win

Probably more important is the stock size, so look to find a youth model with a shorter length.

Bret C

My wife shoots a Remington mod 7 youth synthetic in 7mm-08. She has killed 4 cow elk in a row with it and she says that the recoil isn't bad at all. I also shoot a 7mm-08 and have used it for elk, deer and antelope with no problems. I know that there are several great rounds to choose from but I have a soft spot for the 7mm-08.

What has been said sound like sound advice, you may want to also think about a muzzle brake as well to help with recoil. Most of all make sure it is fitted to your wife and have a good recoil pad as well installed. At lot of times smaller people handle the recoil better than us large people as they wil go with the flow so to speak where we fight it.

AzTrapper

If you want to permanently damage your hearing, a muzzle brake is a great idea.

Modern bullets enable recoil shy shooters to use smaller cartridges with more favorable results than in the past. IMO its the way to go for shooters afraid of recoil.

For example, if you load X bullets in each cartridge (85 gr in 6mm, 100 gr in 25 cal and 120 gr in 7mm) you listed there in a rifle of the same weight, the recoil energy is approximately 2/3 that of the 25-06 and the 7mm-08 in the 243 for darn near the same results...a dead deer.

"If you want to permanently damage your hearing, a muzzle brake is a great idea."

I thought the use of hearing protection was a given :unsure:

Mike

"If you want to permanently damage your hearing, a muzzle brake is a great idea."

I thought the use of hearing protection was a given :unsure:

Mike

Even with hearing protection you can damage your ears with a muzzle brake. there that loud.

Who here uses hearing protection while hunting? I religiously wear it while practicing, but can't stand it while taking a shot on an animal.

As far as caliber, I'd go 7mm-08, Only need one gun if you buy her that one. That way, when she realizes she enjoys hunting, and wants to expand to bigger game, she's covered.

My wife is also small and is what I would describe as recoil sensitive. I had an old .243 that I shot when I was a kid that had the stock cut down which was a good size for her. I added a good after market recoil pad and with that addition she can shoot hot handloads or Hornady light magnum 100gr. ammunition without any problems. I would recommend anything from the .308 Win based cartridges as someone else also mentioned.

I would also recommend staying away from a muzzle brake as well. They are just too loud and are not needed, especially on any gun shooting the above mentioned cartridges. The noise is not so bad with earplugs on and when you are directly behind the shooter, but in a hunting situation without earplugs and where you may be sitting beside the shooter that muzzle brake will definitely cause pain and leave you with ringing in your ears for quite some time.

My advice for the top 2 choices would be .243 or 7mm-08.

I shoot a .270. I'm a little bigger than your wife (5-7, 139#), but I think she could handle it. I think getting her something smaller would just handicap her.