Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

How do I do a European mount

Ok I got my first coues, I was just going to do a horn mount, but then thought I'd like to do a European mount. I'll take any advice on the best way to do it. I tried it on a mulie one year, But I think I boiled it too long and the skull started to crack.This photo is where I'm currently at with it.post-940-1194103299_thumb.jpg

Western Skulls is supposed to be real good, if you don't want tot do it yourself. Congrats on the buck!

Mike

is gonna take along time no matter how you do it. The best luck ive had is with a power washer though. Make sure you dont spray the antlers, it seems to work alot better than boiling. If you do boil it helps if you use sodium caronate (soda ash) to get the grease out. sold as laundry booster or ph+ for pools. THen it takes alot of work with a dental pick and other tools to clean it up. To get it white i use hydrogen peroxide. Not the grocery store stuff, the stuff from hair shops sold as devoleper, 40 volume. i usually brush multiple coats on untill i get it how i like it. Done get impatient do as much as you can with out boiling, that kinda of turns the stuff you dont get into real tough jerky, and it can be a pain to clean up. Dont let the soda ash in the water touch the antlers either, it will bleach them. good luck and let us know how it turns out. if you have any questions about it pm me. im actually workin on two right now, it took me a while to find a way i liked

If you can find someone who usues beetels, try that. I had my javelina and my lion done by a guy and he did an AWESOME job!

I actually won a bid on Ebay for ONE DOLLAR!! $1!!! I ended up giving him like $40 to do them both and he did a very nice job!

I once heard a tip that I have yet to try, haven't had the chance yet, and thats to cover the antlers, mostly the bases with aluminum foil. Wrap it as tight as you can to the antlers. I herd that it will prevent any discoloration of the antlers if they are in the water when you boil it. I still would avoid putting the antlers themselves in the water.

I just finished mine from the october hunt, I think it looks pretty good. If you have not got the skull finished yet or don't know how there is a kit sold sprtsman's warehouse that will walk you throught the steps. Hope this helps.

Mike