RFactor

First Post, First Coues Deer with a bow.

Hi, This my first post. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I've been reading your posts for a couple of years and really enjoy all the pictures and the stories. I told myself back in August, if I shot a Coues buck with my new Drenlin I would sign up and try to post and participate. Well it happened on the opening morning, the first two hours or so of daylight. I had been watching a couple of bucks for almost a year and a half with trail cams. I even called two in during the rut last year and January, but never had a good shot. I have almost two thousand photos of deer, turkeys, foxes, squirrels, bear and even a mountain lion all from the same stand.

On opening morning I climbed my tree stand and began the wait. It did not take long for the first animals to appear. There were at least a dozen of small squirrels running around below me. A short while later a Turkey started walking towards my stand and left immediately upon seeing me in the tree. It was less than a hour when I looked to my left and spotted three nice Coues bucks coming up the trail straight to me. I turned to get my bow and they were right below me, A small 3 X 3, a very nice 3 X 4, and a large fork I have seen on camera from the beginning. I drew back on the 3 X 4 and he caught me and jump out and behind the only brush I had not cleared. The other two had no clue what was going on, but started to walk back down the trail. I put my sight on the larger fork (about a ten yard shot). He jumped and ran up hill towards some thick brush, the other two ran out of sight. While waiting 45 minutes I noticed two bucks running about eighty yards below me. I got down and my arrow was stuck in the ground with blood all over it, but there was no blood to be seen on the wet ground and there was thunder very close. I went to last spot I saw him and could not find any blood, back and forth for about twenty minutes. I then remembered I saw the other deer below me and went that direction. The first thing I noticed on the wet ground were tracks that looked like a deer had been stumbling then I spotted a small drop of what looked like blood. I took out a paper towel and touched it and sure enough I was on the right tracks. I walked about twenty yards to a large burned down pine tree, took out my binos and started searching the bottoms. When I brought my binos down and looked about five yards in front of me, there he was piled up in the green ferns. It was a great feeling to finally take a Coues buck with a bow. I was so lucky to find him when I did, because a hail storm came up and lasted about 45 minutes. I was so cold and wet and it was August 24th in southern Arizona. If the picture works the white stuff in the back ground is some of the hail that had not melted yet.

I have another beautiful buck on another camera and can not wait until January 2008.

Good luck to all who have tags left! RFactor

post-2060-1193976766_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the worlds best coues website and congratulations on killing a great buck with your bow. I know how hard archery kills are to come by, and I would sure be happy with a nice deer like that.

twoguns

Fantastic buck! That's one of my dreams right there.....a big ol' archery Coues! Welcome to the site and congrats to you! JIM>

What took you so long??? You've been holding out on us! Welcome and great job!!!

Fantastic! Congrats on a great Buck! Welcome to the site. ;)

jimmya

Welcome to the site and what a great way to introduce yourself with a great archery buck. Feel free to post up all of those trail cam pics when you get a minute.

Phil

Fantastic Buck. Is that in the Catalinas?

super buck with a bow! Thanks for posting the pics and welcome to the site!

It llooks like catalinas to me too!

Great archery buck! And welcome!

Lance

Fantastic Buck. Is that in the Catalinas?

Thanks! It is in the Catalinas, a good hike from all the foot traffic. I have included a picture of the next buck I intend to hunt come January 2008.

post-2060-1194070593.jpg

Great Buck! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics. Welcome

Thanks! Here is one of the pictures of the Lion. The camera was only a .2 megapixel, so the quality is not that great but you can see he is a pretty big Kitty-Kitty.

post-2060-1194070803.jpg