Get this.....

We had a three tags in unit 33 first hunt. We had gone scouting several times and we found a nice camp spot, so my dad figured he would leave two day early (Wendsday) to get the good spot to camp. He got there and he found an abandoned tent in the camp spot. The tent was old, faded and had a hole in it, so it is safe to say it was abandoned. So he let it alone and found a spot near by. Later that night two guys came and camped in the spot where the tent was. The next day two different gentlemen came and started asking about the tent. We told them it was there so we left it alone a found another spot. Come to find out they admitted they left the tent there week or so ago. They said they confronted the other guys and one thing led to another and he wanted to get the sheriff involved. We said we didn't want to get involved and they left on good terms. Anyways I think trying to save a spot is a SCAM!!! If you want a spot take the time and go get it early. I think both sets of guys were wrong. What u think?

About the hunt.....we saw over fifteen bucks but we couldn't find the one we wanted. I guess there's always bow season!!! ;)

Ryan

This is so common now, I see it all the time with travel trailers and toy haulers. The forest service needs to enforce its 14 day camping limit

I think its totally legit if their equipment is there a total of no more than the 14 days. They obviously did their homework and found a spot before the season. Not everyone can take extra days off work to get there early like you did, but they want to stake their camp before someone else pulls in. I've had hunters just blindly pull in early on Thursday before I can get off work and get to camp. Also, sometimes I have to work late and finish projects before I can take off. Others have taken my spot that I've camped in for 15 years, just by dumb luck, never even stepping foot in the unit until the night before. So yes, now I've done exactly what you're describing. It does suck for those who have also done their homework like you, but its good against those who haven't done any, which is oftentimes the case, especially if you know you're going to be pulling into camp late at night!

Well I guess you could say that I might be guilty of that since I have a camp that has been set since the 19th of October and my hunt doesn't start till next weekend. That being said either myself, my father, or my hunting partner has been there every weekend scouting, which I'm about to head out the door to do again. We don't have it set because we fear someone else getting that spot but instead because we spend so much time scouting and its quite a long drive from where we live.

Phil

I personally don't believe in setting up anything prior to a hunt just to save a spot. But it always doesn't bother me that much, to get all upset or pissed off about it.

Its just like kids saving spots in the lunch line. Some of them are to lazy or impatience to wait themselves.

I can tell ya, GET USE TO IT, it happens quite frequently now days. Always try to find a spot way out in the middle of nowhere, away from the campers and trailers. :rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with it. But I have time to go up a few days to a week in advance to put my trailer out. I do this primarily having a big trailer limits places to camp. One note, I never camp to close where I am hunting. I don't make the rules just stay within them.

This is someting we have to live with because we hunt public land. Be thankful it is public land.

ER

I see nothing wrong with it. But I have time to go up a few days to a week in advance to put my trailer out. I do this primarily having a big trailer limits places to camp. One note, I never camp to close where I am hunting. I don't make the rules just stay within them.

This is someting we have to live with because we hunt public land. Be thankful it is public land.

ER

Amen on public land brother.

Not sure if we qualified for hogging a campsite, but a hundred years ago, or thereabouts, two friends drew tags for an early season in the Strayhorse/Chitty Creek country. The tags my hunting buddy and I drew were the very next hunt in the same area, so we decided to combine our gear and make a super camp in some very wild country. The first group took our stuff and set it up with theirs, and when their hunt ended, they put everything inside the two big tents and headed back to Tucson. We got there just a few days later and found somebody had stolen everything, including the tents!

Bill Quimby

I know what you mean. That is probably why those guys put up a raggedy ole tent. I see alot of guys putting trailers out

a week or so before the hunt. Down here in southern AZ, nothing is safe anymore.

I think it is bulls--- to do this! I have seen this the last 5 years or so and have seen certain outfitters that do this in 36c at the gate to the no vehicle areas and they don't actually even camp or use the spot. They are trying to limit traffic in these areas by preventing others from camping there. Yet to combat it I did it myself this year. Yes adding to the problem. I put a tent out a week early. The camp next to us was out at least two weeks early. This practice is going to get ridiculous. Are we going to have an empty tent in every wide spot in our units months ahead of the hunts? Maybe a tent robbing Robinhood is needed.

Bob

During our elk hunt in 6A there was a tent set up from the day we got there until we left, it had an abondoned ticket on it from the forest service, I am pretty sure the date on the ticket was at least three weaks prior to the first day we were there, we were there for eleven days. At what time does the forest service remove these tents, the only reason we even checked it is when you see a campsite and never see no one there you kind of wonder if someone might be hurt or dead, but nope just left the tent, couldn't see anything wrong with the tent either.

I always thought I'd have agood campsite if I got to the unit and was ready to scout for a couple days early. Then the practice of setting "empty" camps became common. More opportunity for anti's to keep hunters out of areas, more opportunity for thieves to rip off more of your stuff besides a game camera, it's about people looking out for number one. Lots more but overcrowdere and overpressured hunting areas and hunters.

It's about more opportunity!

Are we going to have an empty tent in every wide spot in our units months ahead of the hunts?

This is why I said that the gear should be there no more than 14 days TOTAL. That way you are not "camping" more than the 2 week limit.

I understand that everyone has things to do and lead busy lives, well so do I and that dosen't justify "reserving" spots. If someone leaves stuff out there and it gets ripped off they have no right to complain. I would never steal from someone and do not agree with people that do, but what do people expect now a days. I don't mean to affend anyone but I just don't agree with "reserving" spots.