Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

General Purpose/ Back up Rifle

Back up being the? For me its.270 or.270wsm. And sometimes they are first choice depending on the prey, but i always bring an extra rifle.

• Like 1

Also get the 130 gr cutting edge MTH, or the 145 gr Hornady ELD-X. Both have a B.C. of around .530 ish and will work in a 10 twist.

• Like 1

I worked up a great load in my 270 wsm using the 145 eld-x.

How fast did you get it to go?

I had it going 3220, but it was showing a little sign of pressure and I was going to shoot in a PRS competition that had a MV max of 3200. I backed it down 3140 and the accuracy stayed. My gun shoots the eld-x accurate thru a bunch of different charge weights of 4831sc.

• Like 1

Tikka T3 lite or Superlite in 7-08. Scope depends on if you are a dialer. If you are, I'd pass on all those scopes...

• Like 1

Tikka T3 lite or Superlite in 7-08. Scope depends on if you are a dialer. If you are, I'd pass on all those scopes...

There's a lot of love for the Tikkas. I will go back and check them out the two big strikes are barrel length and magazine.

What scope would you recommend within the price point or a little over?

Two inch difference in barrel length may effect muzzle velocity by about 40 fps in a .270 thats not a whole lot to worry about especially for a back up rifle.

• Like 1

There's a lot of love for the Tikkas. I will go back and check them out the two big strikes are barrel length and magazine.

What scope would you recommend within the price point or a little over?

May I ask why your sticking points are with barrel length and a magazine so I could answer a bit better?

Of the rifles I've handled T3 Lite, Xbolt, Rem 700, Weatherby Wilderness, Kimber Hunter-- I preferred the balance and feel on the 24" barrels. As for the magazine- I've always had floorplate style rifles and I don't like the idea of something happening and a magazine dropping out during a hunt or losing it and I don't like the idea of having to pay 30-40 dollars for a spare or a replacement.

Never had a problem with the magazine, they work really well. Like I said earlier I had my .270 shooting 140 grain accubonds 3,000 fps. My brother over the counter 150 grain Winchester was shooting 2,950 fps all out of the 22" barrel. According to the reloading books I was right there with those 26" barrels.

• Like 1

Of the rifles I've handled T3 Lite, Xbolt, Rem 700, Weatherby Wilderness, Kimber Hunter-- I preferred the balance and feel on the 24" barrels. As for the magazine- I've always had floorplate style rifles and I don't like the idea of something happening and a magazine dropping out during a hunt or losing it and I don't like the idea of having to pay 30-40 dollars for a spare or a replacement.

I agree with you on the balance of a 24" barrel, it is my preference for a big game rifle. I have had a few rifles with magazines and have never experienced an issue in 20 years and an average hunt for me is walking 1 - 6 miles. That is with 788's and tow different models of Tikkas.

I've been doing a little looking and found a T3 Stainless/Syn for $619 but its 270wsm so its 24" and I've not handled a Tikka with a 24", theres a Rem CDL Stainless Fluted 270 (24") for $730.... then two 30-06 decided to make life really difficult.... a Weatherby Backcountry $819 and a used Kimber Montana for $775 both with 24" tubes.

It isn't leaving much room for a scope so I might have to wait to top one off.

Funny how the more you look the more you find things you like.

One more question on the Tikka magazines-- are there issues with magazine length vs COAL if you are loading longer projectiles or chasing the lands? I saw a whole set of posts on DIY magazine stuff.

I've been doing a little looking and found a T3 Stainless/Syn for $619 but its 270wsm so its 24" and I've not handled a Tikka with a 24", theres a Rem CDL Stainless Fluted 270 (24") for $730.... then two 30-06 decided to make life really difficult.... a Weatherby Backcountry $819 and a used Kimber Montana for $775 both with 24" tubes.

It isn't leaving much room for a scope so I might have to wait to top one off.

Funny how the more you look the more you find things you like.

One more question on the Tikka magazines-- are there issues with magazine length vs COAL if you are loading longer projectiles or chasing the lands? I saw a whole set of posts on DIY magazine stuff.

I don't remember but I had my .270 past the Book standard .270 COAL length. But you can't chase the Lands to much though. I would say a healthy in between