I am a long-time AZ resident and experienced hunter, but have never hunted 24A. My 14-yr old son and I got tags for the November 9 hunt. Due to work obligations, I will not have time to scout, which is really disappointing. I've read the G&F website which implies one should concentrate south of Globe in the Dripping Springs Mountains and south slope of the Pinals.

Can anyone provide advice on:

1. A decent location to tent camp with access to decent hunting areas. I usually try to get away from the crowds and road hunters, but be somewhere with reasonable access to roads so we can commute to different locations to hunt. In other words, not just hunt out of camp.

2. Hunt/glassing locations to start with. We don't road hunt or use ATVs, and would like to be away from all that. I'd like to get my son a reasonable chance at a reasonable buck.

I'm not opposed to going north of Globe (e.g., Timber Camp area) if that makes sense.

If you would prefer not to post a reply, you can email me at dennistucker@cox.net or call my cell phone 602-615-0226.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dennis

post-2203-1193924209_thumb.jpg

Fallow the words from the Game and fish web site. That area holds some good hunting. As far as camping goes i am not sure. I have not camped there. You may wonder about some of the area being coues country but they are there. Get up as high as you can and start glassing and i wish you good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the replies so far! Hunting within the unit boundaries makes perfect sense. Anyone have advice on an off-the-beaten path camp site?

:rolleyes:

pics of you kills are not gonna get any info out of us...obviously you have killed some nice animals...any good experienced hunter should know how to find deer, and let alone be able to find spots off the road...look at the maps..so much can be done by just looking at a map...I dont see why you need much help finding areas...why put in for a unit you have never even been in before..makes no sense to me...good luck

Thanks for the replies so far! Hunting within the unit boundaries makes perfect sense. Anyone have advice on an off-the-beaten path camp site?

:rolleyes:

pics of you kills are not gonna get any info out of us...obviously you have killed some nice animals...any good experienced hunter should know how to find deer, and let alone be able to find spots off the road...look at the maps..so much can be done by just looking at a map...I dont see why you need much help finding areas...why put in for a unit you have never even been in before..makes no sense to me...good luck

Fair enough guys, you are absolutely right.

I apologize if I've violated some sort of Coues hunter cultural standard by asking for a little advice and posting pictures. I didn't expect anyone to give me GPS coordinates to their honey holes. And the pics were just about camaraderie (like in the military), nothing else. No offense intended.

I didn't ask the questions for my sake, I was asking on behalf of my son who I am passing our hunting heritage along to. We all have an obligation to pass it on and give the youngsters the most positive experience we can. I didn't want him to be shortchanged because his single Dad's work obligations don't allow time for proper scouting.

Mr. Moderator, would you kindly remove this topic from the forum. Thanks.

Azonie, don't worry about it...welcome to the site and thanks for posting the pictures. That is more than most of us do.

I do not know 24A so I can't help you out there. My goal is to hunt all of the Arizona "coues" units so I am sure someday I will put in for it. I always like learning a new unit.

Dennis,

The "unwelcome" you received by some (not all) is rather disturbing and bothersome to me. This reminds me of the post about a youth hunter who showed up at the junior elk camp and a snide comment was made to him. I guess manners to strangers and saying things positive are on the wayside. As a first time poster, you introduced yourself well and explained a need for some information. Too bad your extended hand was spat in with discern and snideness. As you can tell, this response is not directed solely at you.

Like AZ Guide and Bryce Canyon, I have no backroad knowledge of 24A, or I would surely give some insight. You might send Amanda, aka Coueswhitetail, a pm or email as she lives in Globe and should have some recommendations for you. I wish you an enjoyable hunt with your son, and a better welcome to the site.

Doug~RR

I had that tag last year. we were hunting around the dripping springs road we saw a few deer and lots of hunters. There is coues in this area the pinals have tons of roads almost to the point that hiking is worthless roads on every ridge.

Azonie,

I can relate....I made the misfortune of transposing numbers on my application(possible old age), for my 5th choice, and ended up in 36B. We made one scouting trip, 6 hours one way, that is all we could fit into our schedule, we scouted for deer and campsites as well, which of course both were ellusive, as the opening morning came.

If I knew a thing about 24A I would be happy to give you some help. All I have seen of 24A is the drive from Snowflake to Tucson......wicked thick and steeper than....well......perfect coues country from the view from the highway.

Well said Doug, I'd have to agree. At what point do you become part of the click? After 53, 99, 108, or 404 posts? The guy shared some nice pics and asked for a little help. If you don't want to offer any advice don't answer. Never hunted that unit myself, but like RR said, get a hold of Amanda, I'm quite sure she will have a few spots to check out to help get you started. Welcome & good luck.