Here is how my hunt went this year

We drew 5 35A tags, my brother and his ten year old got it as their third choice and me, my other brother, and my cousin got 35A with our third coice as well. A couple weeks ago my cousin lets me know he probably can't go, he will be sent to Seattle for training ( he just got the job ), my brother and I have very little time left after our elk hunt, my bother brother cantake no time off work, plus my nephew hasd his last football game of the season on Sat. and both teams are undefeated and this game will decide home field for the playoffs, the team I am coaching with my son plays their last game that Sat. as well. After my younger brother talks with our boss ( who is a hunter ), he gives him a couple of days off, we are going up on Sunday and coming back monday night, and we are going to take my nephew who is my other brothers kid on his first deer hunt with a tag in his pocket. The games were played on Sat. with my nephews team winning and our team winning ( both teams 7-0 ) we were ready.

We left later than we wanted Sun. morning, the kid had lost his hunting license and we got him a duplicate. We got there mid morning, glassed and covered a little ground, no deer. We moved a few times throughout the day and seen nothing. Late afternoon I spot some Gould's Turkeys, counted sixteen in the flock, showed my nephew the turkeys and explained the rarity of them. At first he told me he wasn't turkey hunting he was looking for deer, but me and my brother explained he had to be patient, take in everything, look everywhere and we will see deer. My brother sees a little movement and when I get the 15s on it there are two does under a tree, scoured the area and found two more. They were all does and were not moving, as it got later one got up and started to feed, the second one followed, pretty soon all four were moving along the other side of the canyon feeding, they were also moving toward a tank, we picked up and moved along our side closer to the tank in hopes other deer would be heading there as well. The does worked into the thick stuff into the bottom and could no longer be seen, I did see something under a tree along the bottom, I told my brother and nephew to be ready. By now it was starting to get a little late, I couldn't see what was down on the bottom and we didn't have many days to hunt, so while I got the binos on the tree I tell my brother to toss a rock. As soon as the rock hit the deer stepped out I see its a buck in the binos, without looking up I say shoot it its a buck, shoot it, I am telling my brother you need to shoot this deer its a buck, now I get the where is it, it is standing in the bottom next to the tree, wide open broad side, my brother who is holding MY gun at the time has lost where its at, my nephew hasn't said a word, I say give me the gun or shoot the deer, at that point the deer moves a few feet more out in the open, now he sees the deer, 220 yards away, he shoots and he misses, the deer starts up the opposite side stops and starts to go straight up just as it started to move again the second shot connected, I watched the deer move about five feet and dropped, my brother had killed his first Coues and he did it with my gun, we were a very happy group, we almost couldn't go and now we had one down. My pictures suck, but here they are.

100_1697.jpg[/img]

100_1683.jpg[/img]

100_1688.jpg[/img]

Sweet...Congrats to your bro. That rifle kinda looks like a 30-30 of some sort. What was he shootin?

I may hear about overkill on this one, but the deer wasn't blown in half, it did really well, it entered in the back just right of the spine and came out the chest. The gun is my Marlin 45-70, and it was shooting 325 gr. leverevolution bullets.

Way to go! That's what I'm talkin' about.......even if you have only a short time to hunt, it's always better than not hunting at all!!! Glad it all paid off for you guys! JIM>

Congrats! Way to get out there and get er done even though you had a very limited amount of time.

Phil

Overkill? Well I'd say it got the job done and that about says it all!

Military snipers use 50 cal for their targets and that could be called overkill too but it isn't.

Congratulations to your Bro on his first Coues!

Way to go! Any time in the field is better than no time in the field, and you got a buck to show for it as well.. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Bret