have2hunt

Two tags filled

Returned late last night from my Dad and I's hunt. We spent some great time together and were both able to drop the hammer on a couple of decent bucks.

Opening morning I glassed up a group of 5 bucks about 1000 yards away and I could tell that there were two pretty good bucks in the bunch. My dad was on the other side of the ridge from me and was no where to be found so went after em solo. After a few hours I made my way to a spot that would have given me 350 yard shot but the bucks decided to relocate into different beds right as I got there. They bedded in some really thick cover and I tried waiting them out but after several hours of no movement I decided to get a little bit closer. I took note of some landmarks and wind direction and got within less than 100 yards when they busted up. I missed the opportunity at the biggest buck but was able to put a bullet in the second biggest buck as he crossed through a small opening in the brush. I was confident in my shot, but did not know how well he was hit because I never seen him come out. Well after crossing a nasty ravine I got over to the place I had seen him last and there he was lying right behind a bush. I am very happy with him and he is one of the better bucks I have shot. Lets just say that was the worst pack out I have ever done but it was well worth it.

Second morning my dad and I made it to a good glassin spot right before light. We glassed and glassed but only turned up does way out in the distance. I decided to move to the other side of the ridge to glass some more. My dad had spotted a buck feeding below him and was able to sneak over to his rifle that he had left at his last glassing spot about 20 yards away in the wide open. This buck had been right below us the whole time we were glassing and had not spooked even with us moving around. Meanwhile I am glassin on the other side of the ridge when I hear a shot and rush to the other side to see a nice buck running only about 100 yards away. I made some noise to make buck stop and that was all she wrote as my dad dropped the buck in it tracks.

Congrats to all the other successful hunters. Im enjoyin all the pics, keep em comin. ;)

post-590-1193717011_thumb.jpg

post-590-1193717047_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful buck and your dad's is nice too! Congrats to both of you and how awesome to share it with your dad. Good wirte up! I'm like you keep the pics and stories coming. I can't wait for the ninth to roll around!

Phil

yeah, you are under estimating him....your buck is a hog! tell big jim congrats too....its a shame i didnt get to be there for these as well!

Very nice, Very nice

Look to be decent mass as well as shape.

Very nice, Very nice

Look to be decent mass as well as shape.

Two very nice bucks, congrats. Have you had a chance to put the tape to them?

Have not put a tape on him yet. I left the rack back home but will be back there this weekend and will try and do so then.

Casey- The pic of my dad's buck on the four-wheeler turned out better than the field pic. I still got a thing or two to learn about taking good field pics. ;)

GreyGhost85- Would have been fun to have ya there... especially watchin big jim layin the hammer down on that buck. He has really been puttin a hurtin on the critters so far...

If we are lucky I will have some more pics of a carp to post in a few weeks from my dad's new mex hunt.

Good luck to everyone still hunting and for all you with hunts still coming up! ;)